Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear Changing

WAYNEOLEEDS

Seem to be having problems getting my car into reverse and the gear changes in general arent smooth. Anyone had any problems ?

I find reverse a bit tricky at times but no problems with the forward gears. I heard somewhere (probably on here) that the reverse issue is down to how Toyota make the boxes and is normal.

Have the problem with Reverse gear since day 1. In fact the car had only done 12 miles and it was already giving me flack by refusing to go into Reverse without double clutching it.

Had no problems with the other gears unless the car has not been driven for a while. Only when firing up mind and it's 1st gear which can be a bit notchy to get into. Occurs very rarely and once in, it's back to normal.

Could be the oil; Apparently newer Toyota Yarisesesses and Aygos are quite finicky about what gearbox oil they are given.

There was an issue with the Yaris Mk2 gearboxes when they first came out but I can't remember if that applied to the Aygo too...

I got the same problem wayne i Just de clutch and then it works fine just off and on again sometimes it goes straight into reverse other times i have to de clutch :)

I got the same problem wayne i Just de clutch and then it works fine just off and on again sometimes it goes straight into reverse other times i have to de clutch :)

There's no synchromesh on Aygo reverse so sometimes when

you select reverse, cogs meet tooth-to-tooth because they haven't

been spun up & synchronised.

Nothing to worry about usually.

Ian.

EDIT: On odd occasion, my MMT does this.

It beeps to let you know.

When it happens on MMT, just select "N" then "R" again.

With regards to the MMT, someone posted that it helps if you have the brake pedal pressed when selecting reverse - and I have to say, car goes into reverse every time. Hope this helps others...

With regards to the MMT, someone posted that it helps if you have the brake pedal pressed when selecting reverse - and I have to say, car goes into reverse every time. Hope this helps others...

Yes, It will only go into "E" or "R" if you have your foot on the brake.

All automatics & clutchless 'boxes have a system to prevent you starting up in gear.

Conventional 'boxes will only start in "N" or "P"

Aygo will only start in "N"

It's to prevent you setting off without meaning to.

I think in 4 years of ownership, mine has failed to select "R" on about 3 occasions due to teeth being in line.

Ian.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links