Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Exhaust Problem On My Mr2 Please Help!

barney1987

Hi everyone,

Ive just bought a 1992 MR2 Import non turbo and had a look under the car and the exhaust and cat are totally rusted, so much so the lambda sensor has come loose out of the cat.

I'm looking at buying a aftermarket exhaust as im going to have to replace the old one and would rather spend the money on getting a better one. Does anyone know if i buy the Japspeed decat axhaust will this fail the MOT test and also what do i do with the lambda sensor as this attatches into the cat.

I'm just in desperate need of any suggestions of what i should do. Shall i spend loads of money on just getting a new standard back box, cat and lambda sensor or risk getting a decat exhaust? Also ive seen the mongoose 3" cat back box, anyone know what this is like?

Any help will be much appreciated!!

A 1992 might pass the MOT without a cat,law says "first used on and after 1 August 1992." so depends when the car was manufactured ,not registered in the UK ?

The lambda sensor doesn't fit into the cat ,what you are thinking is the lambda is the cat temp sensor ,

and does nothing apart from illuminate a light on the dash if it gets too hot ,

If it was the lambda sensor hanging loose the car wouldn't run right ,take it off and throw it away

the lambda is fitted into the downpipe ,somewhere near where the exhaust crosses the rear subframe

if you are buying the japspeed you will need the system including the decat pipe ,should get through the MOT ok providing the rest of the engine is in good order, but its loud so that will depend on the testing station as well

if it was me id go for it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links