Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Restore Windscreen

Whiteclaw

So I don't just mean a good old clean, but as my car is getting on a bit, the windscreen has loads of scratches, not my doing, previous owner. Annoys me a bit. So what can I do or use to get rid of them other than going to a glass place and having them either charge me a fortune to repair or to just replace.

Was that a low flying pheasant/Branch/Stone that cracked your screen? Unless you're attached to the original screen get it replaced on the insurance.£70-£90 X/S if you have full comp.

Otherwise you could spend ages using compound to polish out scratches (not worth the effort).

I had thought about that, but how much will my insurance go up, these days they like to find any excuse.

Probably nothing as glass is normally covered, subject to paying your excess, however its a conversation you need to have with your insurance, not members of the forum

Kingo :thumbsup:

So I don't just mean a good old clean, but as my car is getting on a bit, the windscreen has loads of scratches, not my doing, previous owner. Annoys me a bit. So what can I do or use to get rid of them other than going to a glass place and having them either charge me a fortune to repair or to just replace.

I have some knowlege of an incident last year in the UK where a similar problem was cured with a rapid hammer/windscreen interface followed by a phone call to Autoglass, the result was a new windscreen for £50 and no effect on the NCB.

Have a look at your policy first it should tell you how much you need to pay and (hopefully) reassure you that the NCB would be unaffected.

Lee B

Not that we condone such things of course. All hypothetical talk here.

(Walks away whistling with something heavy in the hand)

What about a slight tint, wouldn't that obscure the scratches you think? Just been looking on Halfords website.

Not that we condone such things of course. All hypothetical talk here.

Naturally

(Walks away whistling with something heavy in the hand)

What about a slight tint, wouldn't that obscure the scratches you think? Just been looking on halfords website.

I've even heard, though of course it's just a rumour, that said Autoglass blokes can fit non standard windscreens if the subject of "a drink" is introduced into the conversation, just a rumour like :rolleyes:

Lee B

I'm getting my windscreen removed this weekend to allow me to treat some rust on the frame. And then getting it stuck back in once various works have been done. Paying a guy £60 which is the same as the excess I would have paid for a new one ! :wacko: :wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links