Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Problem

mrnkarim

I have had a second hand engine fitted into my Celica GT 1995 due to hell with the old engine which broke down 6 hours after I bought the car second hand due to zero compression in one of the valves. To add to my misery, the mechanic who fitted it took 2 months to fit it, hence, along with other reasons also, I suspect him to be a **** mechanic.

With the second hand engine he's put in, when I move of the mark quickly, it seems as if there is fuel starvation: a very violent shake occurs. This does not always happen, but I think this is very dangerous, because when waitng for a gap at a roundabout, if I choose ot move off fast, most of the time it would be okay, but 1 in 5 times it would shake violently and not move off fast, and this could cause an accident if I got onto the roundabout like this.

Further to this, recently I have noticed that when going aorund 70mph or above a loss of power occurs, then loss of power dissappears and reappears again!

Can sombeody PLEASE diagnose this problem. I've spent enough as it is, hope it does't cost me more :ffs:!!!! Is it bad fitting of the engine, or just air filter problem?

Do you know for sure that the shake is caused by fuel starvation?? Does it only happen when pulling away from a standstill?? If so then you could have a loose or worn out engine mount allowing engine to twist about too much. Another possible cause for shake at start off is a worn clutch. If the clutch springs become weak you can get shake and if there is oil on the clutch plate you can get shake. As for your power loss i'm not sure maybe it needs a tune up and maybe some new plugs/leads/distributer cap/rotor arm??

No, I don't know for sure it's caused by fuel starvation, but it seems like its trying to get in more fuel to pick up more speed but cant get it and the sudden lack of fuel is causing it to shake violently. But then I'm not an expert with cars!!!

It does only shake violently when moving off from standstill. If it is a loose/worn out engine mount will it require the whole engine to be taken out and for the mount to be fixed and repalced? That would be expensive labour work wouldn't it?

When the engine is idling it shakes a lot as well. So I had the revs increased from 750 to 950, but it is still shaking (not as much though). However, even after the increase in revs, it still shakes noticably so much so you can see the side mirror's shake while wating at traffic lights. Is this normal for a Celica (9 year old car, but was told the engine is only 7 years old).

Ta for your last response, will ask another trusted mechanic I know about it!

No engine mounts can be changed with the engine in place, you just need to support the engine as you change them. And no they dont run lumpy, my sons car has done 140,000 miles still ticks over and drives really nice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links