Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towbar Advice

xtr

Hi All

I need some advice please. I have a 2009 58 reg Corolla Verso and I want to fit a towbar so that I can fit a bike carrier. Looking around there are some good deals but I think I want one with a detachable ball and I don't want to cut the bumper. Has anyone experience of similar requirements and subsequent advice?

Thanks in advance.

XTR

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have a Westfalia detachable towbar on my 2006/56 Verso. it required a very small bumper cut at the bottom edge (i.e. no socking great hole through the middle). The cut is only maybe 1" x 2.5" at most. I fitted it myself, it was very easy to cut with a small hacksaw & then I finished it off with a small sanding drum on a dremel. The bumper is pretty soft plastic, its not brittle at all. I fitted mine a couple of years ago but I recall there were no detachable towbars made to fit the Verso that didn't need a bumper cut.

The towbar is fine except that the ball height comes in at the very top end of the range in terms of height. I had to get a piece added to the drawbar of my trailer to raise the tow hitch up so that the trailer was level. Once level the thing tows very well. I've towed a trailer full of camping gear with 4 bikes on top of it at sensible speeds across France twice now. If you tow a lot of weight (400+kg) the Verso's brakes are a bit suspect if you have to stop suddenly though.....

Tow ball height shouldn't be an issue with a bike carrier obviously.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links