Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing Wheels On A T180 ?

CharlieFarlie

Removing Wheels on a T180 ?? I want to remove the wheels on My T180 to paint the callipers but have read that this will cause an issue with the TPMS ?? is this so ?? I nearly removed the rears today to fit the mud-flap set to drill the third or uppermost hole for the retaining clip but managed it with a side angle drill...

So Guys what's the score ?? Thanks..

Charlie.

Removing Wheels on a T180 ?? I want to remove the wheels on My T180 to paint the callipers but have read that this will cause an issue with the TPMS ?? is this so ?? I nearly removed the rears today to fit the mud-flap set to drill the third or uppermost hole for the retaining clip but managed it with a side angle drill...

Charlie.

Just whip 'em off and do your stuff Charlie. So long as they're in range of the system [no idea what that is but a couple of metres I guess] and you put them back on the same corner [they're registered] there should be no issues :thumbsup:

Charlie.

Just whip 'em off and do your stuff Charlie. So long as they're in range of the system [no idea what that is but a couple of metres I guess] and you put them back on the same corner [they're registered] there should be no issues :thumbsup:

So are they conected to the car via some kind of radio wave ??

We had a Cooper S long time ago and if a tyre went flat it was recognised by the TPMS cos the wheel revolutions differed from a fully inflated tyre..

My process when dong the callipers is to remove the wheel give it a good clean back and front then take it into the garage to polish it and apply wheel sealant front and rear X 2 applications (Easyest done on the bench in the garage). I deep clean all the callipers and components. Prepare and paint them , paint the hubs and unswept disc area and edges then put it all back together. Then move on to the next corner..... Can I do this to the Rav ???

Couple of pics of My other banger that I did 2 weeks ago....

JaguarXFWheels014.jpg

JaguarXFWheels017.jpg

JaguarXFWheels016.jpg

JaguarXFWheels004.jpg

JaguarXFWheels020.jpg

yes you can do this mate as long as the wheel goes back in the same place.....

you can also take the wheel as far away from the car as you want...

yes you can do this mate as long as the wheel goes back in the same place.....

you can also take the wheel as far away from the car as you want...

Thanks for that Mate !! So do they work on the same principal as the Mini did then ??? I will mark the stud in relation to the wheel so it goes back on the hub exactly the same position... :thumbsup:

Charlie...

you dont need to mark a stud mate as long as the o/s/f wheel goes back on the o/s/f hub...they work by reading the tyre pressures not by rotation..

each wheel has a code and that code is matched to were it is on the car... approx every 20 mins a signal is throwen out from a box under the car which reads the codes and sends the tyre pressures to the ecu...if the codes change ie rotating wheels the car cant read the codes as they are specific to each corner itll throw up the tyre warning light

Very nice :thumbsup:

HTF did you get the inside of the wheel so clean?

Did you take the caliper off and spray it or was it just careful with the paint brush?

I get soooooooo much stick for keeping my car nice but I don't go to a quarter of the trouble you obviously do Charlie - nice one!

Lee

you dont need to mark a stud mate as long as the o/s/f wheel goes back on the o/s/f hub...they work by reading the tyre pressures not by rotation..

each wheel has a code and that code is matched to were it is on the car... approx every 20 mins a signal is throwen out from a box under the car which reads the codes and sends the tyre pressures to the ecu...if the codes change ie rotating wheels the car cant read the codes as they are specific to each corner itll throw up the tyre warning light

Brilliant !!! Thanks Mate Appreciate Your input !!!

Very nice :thumbsup:

HTF did you get the inside of the wheel so clean?

Did you take the caliper off and spray it or was it just careful with the paint brush?

I get soooooooo much stick for keeping my car nice but I don't go to a quarter of the trouble you obviously do Charlie - nice one!

Lee

Lee I painted the callipers on the car as they were discoloured and just needed a deep clean with G101.. Wheels were cleaned again with G101 and polished then two applications of Jetseal 109 which brake dust will simply not stick to.. A hose off removes anything that settles on the wheels when this stuff is on it !!!

Ah Jetseal 109... Just the one layer or multiple??

I wish I had time to do this on my car :( Callipers do look great finished though. I must try sometime. Looking forward to seeing the finished result Charlie

Blue

I wish I had time to do this on my car :( Callipers do look great finished though. I must try sometime. Looking forward to seeing the finished result Charlie

Blue

Blue . At least two applications three if I can It needs to cure for 20 minutes so the first job is to get the wheel cleaned and the first coat on . The keep returning while doing the rest of the job... I reckon on 2 1/2 to 3 hours per corner for a top job... Good job I have plenty of time !!

I will take some pics when I get started and post them up if You like ?? Will maybe get it done this week .....

Charlie.

I went through a Jetseal phase a couple of years ago and remember laying down like 3-5 layers on top of EZ creme glaze(?) think it's still knocking around in the garage somewhere will need to dig it out and have a go on my TI80

I went through a Jetseal phase a couple of years ago and remember laying down like 3-5 layers on top of EZ creme glaze(?) think it's still knocking around in the garage somewhere will need to dig it out and have a go on my TI80

I only use Jetseal on Wheels.. All of the wheel waxes like Rim-wax 9 (I have several) attract brake dust !! It sticks like !Removed! to a damp blanket .... Dust will of course settle on wheels treated with Jet seal but just hose pressure washes if odd with no effort ... It definitely needs two or three layers though and must be allowed to cure for a minimum of 20 minute before removal and another coat being applied....

Blue

Blue . At least two applications three if I can It needs to cure for 20 minutes so the first job is to get the wheel cleaned and the first coat on . The keep returning while doing the rest of the job... I reckon on 2 1/2 to 3 hours per corner for a top job... Good job I have plenty of time !!

I will take some pics when I get started and post them up if You like ?? Will maybe get it done this week .....

Charlie.

I would be very grateful to see the pics CF. I'm surprised the Jag calipers have degraded quite so much. Usually calipers on higher spec cars come with a bright finish. I'm glad to see you used silver and not garey red or blue :thumbsup:

Blue

Charlie.

I would be very grateful to see the pics CF. I'm surprised the Jag calipers have degraded quite so much. Usually calipers on higher spec cars come with a bright finish. I'm glad to see you used silver and not garey red or blue :thumbsup:

I will put up the picture on a stage by stage basis if it helps... Sometimes it can help other People who are intending doing the job but are unsure of which products to use ..

The Jag callipers are all the same on the XF. My car has less than 16K miles on it and was nowhere near as bad as some I've seen.... It was the very first job I did when I got the car just a few weeks ago..

Paint is a mix of silver and black Hammerite smooth. Mixing the two dulls the finish and You don't get a to glossy finish. Red looks good on a Corsa outside the chippy but not on half decent motors....

Charlie.

How do u find the time to do all this? Do u work? U must spend all ur spare time cleaning!

1. If you want your wheels removed, just park it near Bothy's house....they will be gone in seconds.

2. Definitely interested in how to do the insides of those wheels man......stoatin'.

3. Don't bring them there ultra low profiles through here, Charlie, or you'll be coughing up haemar / hemmyr / piles over the potholes....you must be driving like a drunk to avoid the craters with those wheels/tyres....?

Big Kev :angry:

How do u find the time to do all this? Do u work? U must spend all ur spare time cleaning!

Retired early at 52 Mate.. In all honesty I get easily bored !! But I've been into detailing for many years !!

In reality detailing is just an Americanised word for posh valeting. I considered setting up a small Valeting / detailing business but it would drive Me nuts as I'm just so !Removed! fussy and I would spend to much time on a project to make even just a basic wage....

I will do cars for people though if it suits both Me and whoever has the car but I wont be getting back into business again. The Tax Man ect have had enough of Me thanks......

I really enjoy doing it on a low level basis and used to prepare a couple of Astons for Concourse copetitions. But that was when I lived down south .....

Charlie.

1. If you want your wheels removed, just park it near Bothy's house....they will be gone in seconds.

2. Definitely interested in how to do the insides of those wheels man......stoatin'.

3. Don't bring them there ultra low profiles through here, Charlie, or you'll be coughing up haemar / hemmyr / piles over the potholes....you must be driving like a drunk to avoid the craters with those wheels/tyres....?

Big Kev :angry:

The ride quality of the Jag is far better than the Rav Mate ! Honest it is. Despite the wheels being 20 inchers. Yes I avoid the many potholes but My Micheal Miles are still intact !!!

I will put up the picture on a stage by stage basis if it helps... Sometimes it can help other People who are intending doing the job but are unsure of which products to use ..

More a case of "never heard of" then unsure in my case, the results look really nice, I have the time, just a case of finding the right stuff and knowing what to do with it, it would be even easier for me as mine has 5 identical wheels :thumbsup:

Paint is a mix of silver and black Hammerite smooth. Mixing the two dulls the finish and You don't get a to glossy finish. Red looks good on a Corsa outside the chippy but not on half decent motors....

Just had a look at mine, they're already quite shiny silver, almost looks like electroplating so I'll leave those be for now, the inside of the wheeels though - rough as a badger's bum :!Removed!:

Lee

Charlie - where you have stated "Wheels were cleaned again with G101 and polished then two applications of Jetseal 109 which brake dust will simply not stick to"

Is there any particular brand G101 that you use as I appear to have found a few, namely Autosmart, Smart Valeting, etc?

Charlie - where you have stated "Wheels were cleaned again with G101 and polished then two applications of Jetseal 109 which brake dust will simply not stick to"

Is there any particular brand G101 that you use as I appear to have found a few, namely Autosmart, Smart Valeting, etc?

Yes Mate its an Auto smart product. Its dirt cheap !! Brilliant APC that will clean just about anything !! Mix it strong at about 50/50 and its an Awesome degreaser easily outperforming Gunk and the likes. Sure You can pay 10 or 15 quid for a dedicated engine degreaser OR use G101 and spend less than 50P to clean Your engine..

Mix about 25 % for carpets and interiors and use 50/50 for the initial wheel degrease / clean its dead cheap and simply the best all in one cleaner on the market today...

I cleaned the engine on My Rav 2 days ago with it. I forgot to do some before shots but will do a couple of afters later on and post em up if You like ?? HTH.

Charlie.

Engine pics

rav4engine002.jpg

rav4engine003.jpg

rav4engine001.jpg

Good job mate. That looks nice and clean. :thumbsup:

Think I might do mine tomz on my day off and then bang on my TUNIT box and take her out for a wee spin...

Engine pics

rav4engine002.jpg

rav4engine003.jpg

rav4engine001.jpg

Process was.

Remove Plastic engine cover

Warm the engine NOT hot !!

Spray with 50/50 mix of G101 and water.

Wrap major electrical boxes and connections in cling-film or tape.

Allow to stand for 5 minutes.

Then blast it all off.

Blow all excess water away with the airline from all the main areas connections boxes ect ect.

Refit cover and dress all the plastics with Meguires Hyper dressing.

No agitation was needed at all.Let the G101 do the work The engine was not overly dirty/oily but We are talking about a 5 year old car with 42K miles that has never been cleaned under the bonnet.

Meguires Hyper Dressing is a brilliant all purpose dressing and can be used on Tyres,Plastics, Dashboards All of the interior trims ,Bumpers ect ect. You add as much or as little water as You like !! more water gives a duller finish Less water gives a really shiny finish. I prefer the less shiny finish !! HTH.

Charlie.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links