Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vvtl-I Rattle When Pull Away, Any Ideas

Blue2.0GT

Hi folks, recently part ex'd my 2.0 GT for a 05 plate VVTL-i, absolutely love it except for a couple of annoying problems. One is the squeaky fan belt (which there is good info on this site about), but the other thing is a rattle that sounds when you pull away (would suggest it is some kind of exhaust related thing). Its almost like it is caused by not given the car enough gas when pulling away, i.e. if you give it good revs when pulling off you can't hear it.

Its been back to toyota, they claim everything is fine, and I went to an exhaust place and had a look at the heat shields which all seemed to be firmly in place. The rattle sounds like it is coming from towards the front of the car.

I test drove some other cars of the same spec and i'm sure i never heard this noise elsewhere, so any ideas what it could be or is it a matter of just being more firmer with the revs when pulling away?? .... should get around to changing my profile name too! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Have the exact same problem with my 06 plate Tsport but no idea what is causing it. :help: As above any advice or assistance would be greatful :D

I had a similar thing on my Supra.... turned out to be the bonnet stop rubbers were not wound up tight enough and the bonnet latch with vibrating.... Unlikely to be your issue but worth checking the bonnet. I was able to push mine down about 5mm before i tightened everything up.

• 2 weeks later...

That sort of rattling noise had me worried too, I suggest cleaning the MAF sensor. If your stood looking into the engine bay it'll be to the lower right corner attached to the air intake secured by two screws and with a cable attached. Disconnect the cable and unscrew it then use an earbud/q-tip and some alcohol based cleaner to gently remove any dirt from the sensor inside (will look like a small diadode/resistor)

Replace in the car and connect the cable, if your engine refuses to rev over 3k then you didnt push the cable on securely enough so do it again :)

Cheers guys, will check the bonnet, not sure a sensor could create that noise could it? It's only at low speeds when pulling away, but I'll have a look, anything to get rid of this annoying rattle!

My other thought is maybe cars just aren't built as solid today as my old celica, been in a couple of other cars recently, they made a similar noise when pulling away while being easy on the gas.

Another option could be the divider plate in the exhaust downpipe may have broken one of it's spot welds. I've known this to happen to quite a few and it happened to mine (true it was after the supercharger being fitted), but they have gone on stock 190's.

mine does this too - is it a sort of metal squeak?

mine does this too - is it a sort of metal squeak?

more of a metal rattle, when pulling away in 1st gear, never hear it any other time.

Another option could be the divider plate in the exhaust downpipe may have broken one of it's spot welds. I've known this to happen to quite a few and it happened to mine (true it was after the supercharger being fitted), but they have gone on stock 190's.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the divider plate or spot weld visible, or is it a matter of taking the exhaust apart? My only other thought would be that if this is the case, would it happen in all gears/speeds? Cheers

• 1 month later...

well, toyota had my car the other day to replace the alternator belt and tensioner (belt had been squeaking and slipping - all under warraty though!), now the rattling noise has gone, wonder if that could have been anything to do with it??? Anyway, I'm just happy its gone :D

The tensioners do go on botht he 140's & 190's and do cause a noises.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links