Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Tires

Oskah

I have been browsing the forum since september but never really joined in, I have just been reading up as many threads as I can about various things (DMF, Gearbox rattles etc) But now I have to ask a question because I cannot find an answer anywhere

I have a 2005 XTR D4-D and its time to change the tires, The ones on the back have pretty good tread on them (about 5mm) and the ones at the front are getting down to about 3mm. Can I change just two tires on one axle or does it cause problems? also Is it best to put the newer ones on the back and the older ones on the front like you do with a freelander to stop the vcu killing itself, I know my Rav does not have one but will it be a problem if the back wheels are turning slightly faster than the front ones or is it best to have the front turning faster than the back ones?

I have done a search and could not find much so if anyone can help I would very much appreciate it

I have been browsing the forum since september but never really joined in, I have just been reading up as many threads as I can about various things (DMF, Gearbox rattles etc) But now I have to ask a question because I cannot find an answer anywhere

I have a 2005 XTR D4-D and its time to change the tires, The ones on the back have pretty good tread on them (about 5mm) and the ones at the front are getting down to about 3mm. Can I change just two tires on one axle or does it cause problems? also Is it best to put the newer ones on the back and the older ones on the front like you do with a freelander to stop the vcu killing itself, I know my Rav does not have one but will it be a problem if the back wheels are turning slightly faster than the front ones or is it best to have the front turning faster than the back ones?

I have done a search and could not find much so if anyone can help I would very much appreciate it

Hi,

if you are going to fit only two new ones, put them on the rear. The logic is that if you have more grip on the back than the front, the car might understeer a bit if it looses grip. If you put them on the front the car can oversteer which is potentially much more dangerous.

autoexpress reckon that if you lose grip at the front,then most people can control it,but if you lose it at the rear its harder to control for average driver.

someone posted a video showing the 2 situations.

I understand that but will fitting tires of different sizes (even though its only a few mm) shaft up anything with the transmission or is the Rav4 pretty tolerant of this?

I would have thought that they would have already shafted something if they are on 3mm already.

I think you are looking into to this too deeply.

As long as the wheel diameter is the same (17" or 18" etc) you shouldn't have any problems from a couple of millimetres of tyre wear.

I understand that but will fitting tires of different sizes (even though its only a few mm) shaft up anything with the transmission or is the Rav4 pretty tolerant of this?

All the tyres on a car will wear at different rates, ergo they will be very slightly different in diameter. Unless you are constantly swopping them round, the fronts will wear quicker than the rears as they handle steering and the larger proportion of braking.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links