Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Needed

spike240

Hi - new to this site - and new to Toyotas. My Audi 80 is due for replacement, and was thinking about a Toyota. The reason for this is.. I had read somewhere that a lot of the engines used have chain driven cams. What I need to know is which ones. Can anyone help?

I am watching a Corolla at the mo - 2003 Toyota Corolla T-spirit 1598cc - Has this got chain or belt driven cam.

Absolutely any advice or information is appreciated.

Regards

the 1.8 vtti s use chain and i think the 2.0 vvti s but stay well clear big design fault with the engine and a large amount dont make it to 70000 k, i dont see much of an advantage with a chain engine anyway really you still want to get it checked and maybe replaced at 100 k intervals so not much difference really is there

The 1600 petrol VVTi has a chain driven cam. Haven't heard of any serious problems with them; in fact I was led to believe they are extremely reliable! You have a more detailed reply on the Divvy site :thumbsup: .

the 1.8 vtti s use chain and i think the 2.0 vvti s but stay well clear big design fault with the engine and a large amount dont make it to 70000 k, i dont see much of an advantage with a chain engine anyway really you still want to get it checked and maybe replaced at 100 k intervals so not much difference really is there

Haven't heard of this big design fault before; surely something like that would have been jumped on by our wonderful media?

The advantage of a chain as I see it, is that it lasts longer than a belt. OK, it won't last forever but at least it might give some warning when it's about to give up, such as obvious rattles coming from the engine. You would then be able to get it repaired before it snaps and wrecks the engine. Unlike a belt; which just fails without warning and wrecks the valves and pistons. The OP has an Audi 80 so I can understand him wanting to get away from belt driven cams. My last car was a VW Golf and the cost to replace the cam belt (every 60k miles) was about £400.

Thanks for the comments.

Hello Al BTW - you get everywhere. Appreciate your comments tho'. That is the reason for my search for a car with chain rather than belt driven cams. The Audi 80's tensioner broke up a few years back, causing £800 worth of damage. Like you said a chain would rattle for yonks before it actually gave up. Shortly the Audi is going to need rear caliper, middle exhaust section and cam-belt plus sundries, probably about £400 in parts alone, hence my search for a new jalopy.

I can't see an advantage of chain driven either... if the regular belt is changed within interval it should be fine.

If it is really a big issue go for one with a none interferance engine!

i was trying to explain there was a massive design fault with the 1.8 and i think 2.0 vvti engines pre 2005- i just didnt make my point clear so these toyota engines can fail as early as 50000k due to piston overheating problem the same engine is in avensis corolla celica and maybe some more but i would avoid that unless you have a good warranty and if you havent heard about the issue just look it up on the site and you will see

Haven't heard of this big design fault before; surely something like that would have been jumped on by our wonderful media?

The advantage of a chain as I see it, is that it lasts longer than a belt. OK, it won't last forever but at least it might give some warning when it's about to give up, such as obvious rattles coming from the engine. You would then be able to get it repaired before it snaps and wrecks the engine. Unlike a belt; which just fails without warning and wrecks the valves and pistons. The OP has an Audi 80 so I can understand him wanting to get away from belt driven cams. My last car was a VW Golf and the cost to replace the cam belt (every 60k miles) was about £400.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links