Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Violent Wheel Shake St182 Zr

JonB

My 1991 import Celica ZR (ST182 with 3S engine) has developed a gross near side wheel shake at anything above 40 mph.

I deeply suspect that the CV joint has given up the ghost - but before I start the treck to track one down - Can any of you guys confirm or refute my suspicions.

Better still - does anyone know exactly what bits I'll need (ie just outer cv or outer and inner or whole half shaft) and where I am best buying from without having to plead with my bank manager?

I really hope you can help asap!!!! :unsure:

could be a number of things! kerbed it lately? could be a buckled wheel! jack up your near side, and give the wheel a spin, if its wobling all over the show, ur wheel could need sorting out. if you hear a rumbling noise, it could be a bearing. give it a shake from side to side, if u feel any play, thats could be it. its hard to say really without looking at it.

as for parts, i get all the stuff for my 93 import Zr from my local motor factors. never had any trouble gettin anything.

I haven't kerbed it , but I guess I could swap the front and back wheels over to see if the problem goes - The problem didn't just turn up however, it started as a "now and again" thing and now is permanent.

I was also getting the "roulette rumble" sound on full lock from nearside which is why I think it may be CV joint.

I will jack the car up and see if I can feel any play in the bearing - then swap the wheel to rule out buckle -

Do you know whether things like CV joints are the same on UK and import ST182's

It will make things a lot easier if they are!

OOh

I just remembered something...

The problem generally goes away if you take your foot off the accelerator - that certainly would rule out a buckled wheel or knacked bearing?

With a CV joint you normally get a loud clicking noise when cornering on full lock. Find yourself a decent size T junction and drive round in circles to check.

I had the very same problem on my Astra. At about 50mph you would get a very nasty knocking sound but if you accelerated hard it would disappear.

It was caused by hitting a curb hard and the hole in the bottom arm has been stretched meaning the camber moves.

Its VERY dangerous to continue to drive this the way it is.

Get it checked out asap, as you could have it give up on you.

Should be about £200-300 to put right.

:yes:

I have had the clicking for a while - and now its turned into violent shakes.

I wouldn't dream driving it anymore!

Problem with an import tho' is if I dont find what the problem is and order the parts myself, the garage will shaft me on finding the parts themselves.

I've got a VFR 750 for back up transport - nicer if it was summer but there you go.

I've been quoted £80 plus delivery and VAT for the CV joint - does anyone have a clue on whether that's good or expensive?

Garage are quoting 2 hours labour to fit...... so bill will be about £200 all in.

Don't want to be wrong on my diagnosis - thats all -

No good it going to the garage with a CV joint to fit if it turns out to be a bearing or half shaft!

Does anyone know whether parts are identical for import ST182 and UK spec? <_<

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links