Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Steering Problem! Ecu ? Help

jimGTS1808

Hey everyone

Im new to this forum I have a MR2 GTS MK2 myself so i try to keep up with the Toyota cars in general as best i can.

My Wife has a AYGO sport 2005 and we just had the clutch replaced at 62,000 miles last week. Only a couple days later she was driving it and the power steering wouldn't start, then with a restart it was fine. At the weekend i had this problem myself, i started the car and the p/s light came on, then after acouple tries it went on and the power steering was back.

I have a reasonable understanding of mechanical problems and believe its more likely electronic? possibly the power steering ECU? I have read that these tend to go at similar times to the clutch?

If it was the ECU i was hoping to buy and change this myself because it just cost £428 for the clutch replacement im now quite out of pocket (new baby in feb too!)

please help if you have had any experience with this and if it would be worth going for the fix myself?

Thanks loads

Jim

I've read about this before. Most likely it's the (wiring to the) torque-sensor at the bottom of the steering column.

Hey thanks for the response. Do you mean probably/possibly damaged?

Thanks

I don;t know, as I have no first hand experience with it.

Bt it could just be a loose plug, so just have it checked...

I went to check round for wires but couldn't see any in the footwell? But I thought I would try the power steering anyway. Started and worked fine over and over. I think the p/s light came on once then went off and worked fine.

At the time no wire contacts were moved so I still think its more likely a computer problem?

Please help if you have any history of these problems. I know it would be easier to go and get diagnostics on it but I'm a touch hard up at the moment due to the clutch replacement.

Thanks loads

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links