Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windows Fogging/misting, Solution?

MR2Shane

I decided to take the MR2 out in the thunderstorms last night and noticed all of the windows misting up, and although I did put the fans on full, they helped clear some of the mist but didn't clear it all. It does have a T-Bar roof and I noticed the first thing to mist up was the roof and then it spread down to the windscreen and side windows. The T-Bar roof does not leak though.

I was wondering if anyone here has used some product that they could recommend for use on the windows to clear the fogging?

Any advice would be much appreciated

I have this anti-misting cloth I got from Halfords, which helps stop light misting, but if it's misting badly the only thing I've found that helps is to set the air to warm, turn up the fans and (Most importantly!) turn on the AC!

I do wish I had a heated windscreen like you get on a lot of Ford cars tho', that works well too!

I have this anti-misting cloth I got from Halfords, which helps stop light misting, but if it's misting badly the only thing I've found that helps is to set the air to warm, turn up the fans and (Most importantly!) turn on the AC!

I do wish I had a heated windscreen like you get on a lot of Ford cars tho', that works well too!

Hi Cyker,

Thanks for the response and yeah I have a focus too and find the heated windscreen very effective against misting, unfortunately the MR2 has neither a heated windscreen OR A/C! :no:

I guess I will need to look into the anti-misting cloth and keep the fans turned on.

Oh, one other thing is making sure the fans are on fresh air and not recirculate mode; That makes a big difference too!

I decided to take the MR2 out in the thunderstorms last night and noticed all of the windows misting up, and although I did put the fans on full, they helped clear some of the mist but didn't clear it all. It does have a T-Bar roof and I noticed the first thing to mist up was the roof and then it spread down to the windscreen and side windows. The T-Bar roof does not leak though.

I was wondering if anyone here has used some product that they could recommend for use on the windows to clear the fogging?

you mentione a thunderstorm.were your cloths wet when getting in your vehicle,cos this is a sure way to cause misty windows.

Oh, one other thing is making sure the fans are on fresh air and not recirculate mode; That makes a big difference too!

The fans were on fresh air, thanks for the advice!

you mentione a thunderstorm.were your cloths wet when getting in your vehicle,cos this is a sure way to cause misty windows.

Everything was dry inside the car.

If it is steaming up there is moisture in there.....

Having owned three I'd be quite suprised of you T bars were 100% leak free. I have also heard of MR2s leaking from the rear quarter windows, and heater matrix issues are not uncommon.

The other simple fact is that the MR2 has a tiny cabin volume compared to most cars, simply breathing (especially with two people) can make things steam up if the blowers are not on external mode. - do you have aircon? If you do keep it on it dries the air.

Rain ex do an anti fog treatment... I can't comment on how good it is, I bought a bottle three years ago and still am "getting around" to trying it. - I just keep the aircon on all the time instead. (so the other day when it was muggy and hot I was getting condensation on the OUTSIDE but I like my cars like a fridge)

If it is steaming up there is moisture in there.....

Having owned three I'd be quite suprised of you T bars were 100% leak free. I have also heard of MR2s leaking from the rear quarter windows, and heater matrix issues are not uncommon.

The other simple fact is that the MR2 has a tiny cabin volume compared to most cars, simply breathing (especially with two people) can make things steam up if the blowers are not on external mode. - do you have aircon? If you do keep it on it dries the air.

Rain ex do an anti fog treatment... I can't comment on how good it is, I bought a bottle three years ago and still am "getting around" to trying it. - I just keep the aircon on all the time instead. (so the other day when it was muggy and hot I was getting condensation on the OUTSIDE but I like my cars like a fridge)

Well, there was 2 of us and the rain was very heavy so I suspect the T-Bar roof may have let in a bit of moisture and of course the tiny cabin volume doesn't help at all. The heater matrix is fine and the rear quarter windows and rear window itself do not mist up at all when the windows fog, it's just the roof, side windows and windscreen.

It starts at the roof and that is the area that fogs up the most, when I was driving later on by myself I did notice that there was no fogging problem at all, I don't have air con but the fans were on full speed external air too, not recirculate.

I will start at the T-Bar roof then and see what I can do with them seals to block moisture leaking in.

Thanks for the info really appreciate it.

Rain ex do an anti fog treatment... I can't comment on how good it is, I bou........

Lol, the MR2 may well have a small cabin, but, fortunately or unfortunately whichever way you look at it, breathing is compulsory, not optional! :yahoo:

As for rain x, I got some with the Gard x pack that I got with my Prius, and I've tried it. Either I didn't do it properly or it doesn't work... I found the windscreen misted up quicker in fact and was very very smeary.... Took ages to clear with the A/c on too, so now I don't bother, I just put the blower on with part of the airflow directed towards the screen and the air on fresh not recirc.

Elementary :rolleyes:

Don't snog in your car when the air temperature is lower outside than in :lol:

If you're doing it right [ or doing wrong :disgust: ] it usually is :blushing:

I found rain-x great on the outside of windows, not the windscreen though - it gets smeary with the wipers constantly scraping it. Never used it on the inside of the screen after a scary moment with a helmet visor...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links