Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Economy, Whats Your MPG figures?

Steve

Whats the fuel economy on your car around town? How does it compare with the manufacturers MPG figures and have you managed to get better economy than the manufacturers stated figures? Dont forget to state which model you have

See me sig!!!

I have managed 30+ in both.

But it was boring.

I generally match the rated 64mpg, although the last tank got me within a hair's breadth of 70mpg! This is maybe 1/6th motorway driving and 5/6ths town driving.

Town driving brings it down pretty quickly; Worst ever was about 55mpg which was pure town driving. Now I try to let the engine stretch its legs on the motorway or a country road now and then just to help keep it cleaner, and that helps bring the mpg up a bit too. :)

If I do almost nothing but motorway driving at ~60mph, the mpg shoots up; My best ever recorded mileage was just over 800 miles on a tank, and that was with a fully loaded car doing several airport runs over a few days! :yahoo:

<p>Whats the fuel economy on your car around town? How does it compare with the manufacturers MPG figures and have you managed to get better economy than the manufacturers stated figures? Dont forget to state which model you have </p>

I can't really give a 'town' figure 'cos where I live we ain't got a 'town' as such, we're all dual carriageways or motorways, but when I took my Gen2 Prius to the Isle of Wight last the mpg's went up to 59mpg for the week we were there just before I swapped it for the gen3. Normally it was about 55mpg which as most of my motoring is m'way/dual carriageway and the Prius is not apparently not noted for that sort of motoring, wasn't bad.

My best ever on the Gen3 at fill up, was 68.8 so far, but this one hasn't been over the water yet!

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

My best MPG recently was 62.1. That was for a journey that was mostly on main roads,with a bit of town driving too, but no motorway.

My 2nd gen Prius hovers around the 56-58 mpg mark, that's indicated by the car itself - I've never bothered to check the actual figure. Most of my driving is on dual carriageways and motorways. Drops quite a bit around town but since that's a tiny percentage of my driving I can't give you any sort of wild guess for a figure there. It also drops like a stone when the dealer gets hold of it for a service (!)

Just back from an 850 mile round trip. Perth to Hull, around Yorkshire moors, then across the Dales to Sedbergh, motorway north to Moffat, A701 to Edinburgh and M90 back to Perth; so a good mix of roads. Most of it done within the speed limit, Officer! Averaged about 60mpg. It only had 2 wheels though. Honda CBF600S :) . The dullsville Corolla 1600 VVTi meanwhile manages about 42 mpg unless of course you dare to go above 3500 revs, in which case it develops a bit of a thirst.

Averaging approx 30.7mpg at present around town, MPG always drops to around 27 / 29 mpg in the winter :angry:, these are the figures i have averaged from new, i'm not one to put my foot down nor is the wife, so pretty disappointed, i expected better returns when i bought the car given Toyota's stated returns for my particular model.

• 2 weeks later...

I got over 31 mpg in the Hilux last weekend!

To be honest I don't really care what MPG I get.... I know that it is good enough :yes:

To be honest I don't really care what MPG I get.... Lift is just awesome :yes:

My version ::lol:

Whenever i get decent MPG in mine, the Wife wants to go somewhere across town which kills my MPG, then when we get back she wants to go across the other side of town. Last Friday i was almost into the 50mpg bracket (49.7) and by the time we had driven across town a few times it read 42.5 on Sunday.

Me too. I used to drive like a saint, with great ideals of topping the 50 m.p.g barrier and sometimes just managed it. Then the wife decides to drive the car. She regards speed limits as a challenge, drives 100yards to the shop if there is a cloud within 5 miles, never had an accident, caused hundreds. Bang goes my economy driving. If you cant beat them join them!

Me too. I used to drive like a saint, with great ideals of topping the 50 m.p.g barrier and sometimes just managed it. Then the wife decides to drive the car. She regards speed limits as a challenge, drives 100yards to the shop if there is a cloud within 5 miles, never had an accident, caused hundreds. Bang goes my economy driving. If you cant beat them join them!

I am sure your thinking one of thems got to go.

To be honest I don't really care what MPG I get.... Lift Life is just awesome :yes:

My version ::lol:

Slightly altered.... but I like it :lol::thumbsup:

<p>Whats the fuel economy on your car around town? How does it compare with the manufacturers MPG figures and have you managed to get better economy than the manufacturers stated figures? Dont forget to state which model you have </p>

I can't really give a 'town' figure 'cos where I live we ain't got a 'town' as such, we're all dual carriageways or motorways, but when I took my Gen2 Prius to the Isle of Wight last the mpg's went up to 59mpg for the week we were there just before I swapped it for the gen3. Normally it was about 55mpg which as most of my motoring is m'way/dual carriageway and the Prius is not apparently not noted for that sort of motoring, wasn't bad.

My best ever on the Gen3 at fill up, was 68.8 so far, but this one hasn't been over the water yet!

:thumbsup:

Ok then.... Just back from a week on the IoW.

Filled up at Tesco's in Ryde on Saturday, reset the trip B.

Topped up again today at our local Tesco's 173 miles 9.8 litres... My maths is crap so I'm sure one of you happy lot will tell me what the mpg was... The car tells me 64.8mpg...

That 173 miles consisted of:-

Running around on the Island on Saturday afternoon and Sunday and 132 miles feom Yarmouth via Newport to Fishbourne, then Portsmouth to home... A3/m25/a13..

As an aside, its the first time I've been through the new tunnel at Hindhead... B.... Marvelous, much time saved over going through the town, I can recommend it!

Lift is awesome.... but I think we are talking a different type :D

Topped up again today at our local Tesco's 173 miles 9.8 litres... My maths is crap so I'm sure one of you happy lot will tell me what the mpg was... The car tells me 64.8mpg...

My maths says 9.8 litres = 2.156 gallons. 173 divided by 2.156 = 80.24 MPG. So either your cars readout is way pessimistic; or your second fill up wasn't right to the top? Or maybe my maths is wrong!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links