Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Brake Disk Replacement

I bought a Toyota Aurus 1.4 RS in 2007 brand new from the dealer, just yesterday I took it in for its 60 000 Km service.

The problem is, they had to replace the brake pads and disks due to ridges that formed on the disks that, if skimmed would cause them to be under spec.

This is the first time that the pads had to be replaced since I bought the car.

How can it be that the discs, which is suppose to last longer than the pads, need to be replaced so quickly?

The dealers response was that the disks on those models was too soft, sound a bit off to me :(

Anyone else had this problem.

Many, many, Toyota owners have complained of such. In essence the discs are rubbish.

Guess there is nothing we can do abt this ;(

Thank you for the reply.

You have done well to get to 60K :rolleyes: When you say there is nothing you can do, I guess you mean getting Toyota to replace them? If so I'm afraid you will be wasting your time, they wont replace discs after 18 months / 20K whichever is sooner

Kingo :thumbsup:

Can confirm what Kingo says.

It was just costing them so much money to replace poor quality discs under warranty they simply moved the warranty goalposts on Brakes.

Very shoddy service IMHO.

Did mine myself in the end.

Made me wonder when they brought the new five year warranty out if it was worth the paper it was written on.

60km is what ? around 38k miles. Some folk get through pads/discs in as little as 10 to 15K (miles) and others... I don't know. Personally I've yet to even wear out a set of pads let alone discs. Also if the car is outside in all weathers the surface corrosion of the disc that occurs in just minutes when they get wet does have a cummulative adverse effect on disc life.

I do think a lot depends on the dealers too though. My experience of the Toyota dealer I use is that they are very fair about such things, to the point of me wondering "are you sure" when I pushed them on the discs and pads of my last car. Just front pads alone would be advised they said at the next (80k (miles) service, and the discs are absolutely fine, which would have made them 9 yrs old.

Just out interest I wonder how many tyres the OP has had in the 4 yrs if any... not questioning your driving, it's just that there are a huge number of variables in something like this.

I will say this though, and that if the main dealer says to a paying customer whose purchased a new car that the discs aren't up to much (too soft) as the reason for them wearing quickly then I think they should be prepared to put some effort into getting some kind of recompense or answer from Toyota. To me saying that is totally different to them saying they are soft because........... and then giving a valid technical reason.

Took my 20 month Auris to main dealer for a 20k service today .. quoted £230.. wasn't expecting the extra £310 for front disc and pad replacement! Service desk said they were 'corroded', apparently .. what? after 20,000 miles? I thought discs were supposed to be stainless steel?? I've never had to replace discs on ANY car I've had before, so certainly didn't expect to do it with a 20 month old Toyota. Toyota helpdesk utterly useless, just kept reminding me how close it was to 5 o'clock! They referred me to warranty dept, but I was again reminded that they were just about to close at 5. Seems the clock is more important than excellent customer service to them. Toyota will have to improve on this if I'm going to buy another, if not then I'm off back to Mazda.

I to,had the disc problem,car was 18 month old with 16 thousand miles on it and had ridges on discs ,local toyota dealer replaced discs /pads and cleaned up backs with not a quible.

Thanks for all your replies :)

My first car was a corsa 1.6 clasic, put 150 000 Km on that before changing brake disks.

I'm staying in South Africa, inland, far from the sea, and my car is happy enough to sleep indoors (garage), so corrosion, I don't know hey.

The dealers did mention the pads are made up of softer materials, like copper, rather than asbestos, I'm not an expert, but replacing my first set of pads with discs does not make sense for in my mind.

I'm also still on my first set of tires :)

The real funny thing is, on my 45 000Km service, they had me change my rear pads first, the tech told me I brake to far ahead of the traffic lights, I should brake less and closer to a red light, LOL.

I must say, I also thought that brake distribution was set to +- 60Front/40Back, but that's just me, I guess I reverse too much :P

I'll be honest, I'm very happy with my Auris, which I dubed Aulux, cause it's awesome and got lots of space, but like Steve Milner said, to suddenly pay £310 (R3100 RSA) to replace discs and pads is not in a set budget.

One of the reasons I bought this car was for the 5 year service plan I got with, while paying off ;(

Kind regards all

I thought discs were supposed to be stainless steel??

Nooo, just a lump of cast iron!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yep £310 to replace the rubbish that was on your car with more rubbish from their parts department.

Always makes me laugh when a dealer says its best to use originsl psrts. If so then why did they fail in the first place?

I work in an independent garage and the whole job using quality parts could be done I am guessing for well under £200

You guys stick to Mr T if you want.

I know when under warranty it may be best but remember theres lots of good independent garages out there.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links