Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shuddering/lurching When Changing Gear

WhiteRav4

Hi there, I bought a '98 Rav4 about 4 weeks ago. I have this shuddering/lurching when I am moving up the gears, not every time, but more when I am driving slowly or just moving off. Also more of a problem when it is a hill start. I live in a rural hilly place but this is just road driving, no 4x4. Taking my foot off the accelorator a bit can help even things out. Alternately more revs can help.

I was finding I was only getting about 300 miles out of my 58L tank so I have been trying to find the best way to drive economically; driving slowly, around 55 mph on dual carriage ways, not using high revs when changing gear in town and getting into higher gears (as mentioned in the manuel) asap. This type of driving has allowed me to get between 350 to 400 from a full tank.

Last night my neighbour and I took it for a bit of a spin to try and get the revs up and burn off any thing that may have built up to see if this would help with the shuddering. I had talked myself into thinking the shuddering could be the result of all my slow driving... The outcome of all the reving was noticeable but had not changed the fact that it was still shuddering.

This Rav has a fsh, last one in March, so I am hoping all the usual fuel & air filters have been checked etc. although I could be wrong. Fuel injector pumps etc. spring to mind but does anyone else have any ideas for this shuddering?

Many thanks

Hi there, I bought a '98 Rav4 about 4 weeks ago. I have this shuddering/lurching when I am moving up the gears, not every time, but more when I am driving slowly or just moving off. Also more of a problem when it is a hill start. I live in a rural hilly place but this is just road driving, no 4x4. Taking my foot off the accelorator a bit can help even things out. Alternately more revs can help.

I was finding I was only getting about 300 miles out of my 58L tank so I have been trying to find the best way to drive economically; driving slowly, around 55 mph on dual carriage ways, not using high revs when changing gear in town and getting into higher gears (as mentioned in the manuel) asap. This type of driving has allowed me to get between 350 to 400 from a full tank.

Last night my neighbour and I took it for a bit of a spin to try and get the revs up and burn off any thing that may have built up to see if this would help with the shuddering. I had talked myself into thinking the shuddering could be the result of all my slow driving... The outcome of all the reving was noticeable but had not changed the fact that it was still shuddering.

This Rav has a fsh, last one in March, so I am hoping all the usual fuel & air filters have been checked etc. although I could be wrong. Fuel injector pumps etc. spring to mind but does anyone else have any ideas for this shuddering?

Many thanks

Well, I think I have sorted the problem. If I make sure I am opening her up a bit on each journey I can have smoother gear changes whiles also driving economically the rest of the time. I am also going to switch to Super Unleaded to see if this makes a difference as well.

You could have a dying coil pack (if fitted) or O2 sensor. Could be a dodgy earth also, either from engine to chassis or chassis to Battery.

Hmmmm - did I reply to this topic just recently???

The shuddering in the old days would lead folk to look at the clutch being contaminated with oil from a possible leaking crankshaft seal or the likes.

It could also be a loose/soft engine/gearbox mount.

A soft suspension joint.

The rear diff mount when worn goes soft and can cause thumps and odd symptoms.

On the mpg, I use VPower all the time but then my RAVs are tuned for it and my Previa just prefers it. The engine you have is a sporty engine and the RAV4 first version was very much built a a sporty car. On a brim to brim test, I get about 260 miles from a full tank. If you are getting 300+ then well done.

If you are about Glasgow anytime, I'm happy to have a try of the car..... and give you a shot of number 2 RAV. Number 1 RAV is in getting a makeover and roll cage.

Having run the Rav almost to the end of it's normal Unleaded 95 RON fuel I topped up with Castrol Ultimate Unleaded 97 RON and the difference was instant. It has been like driving a different vehicle, the one I thought I had bought 4 weeks ago; the engine runs quieter, smoother and the response is right there rather than lagging like it has been.

Thanks very much for the responses, if this change to my Rav is only temporary I will be chasing up the points you have mentioned.

Have to add this:

Thinking I was on to something with the higher RON of fuel I thought I'd try the Momentum RON 99 at Tesco. NOT a good move. The engine went back to struggling and spluttering, not as bad as the ordinary Unleaded but I won't be using it again. BP will be pleased!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links