Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roof Rails 2006 Xt4

kipperwood

Hi first time posting. I found the correct roof bars for my 2006 xt4 by going through links in this forum so i thought i would try and put some pics and info back on, to try to help out. I got all the info from pentagon toyota (they are found easily on google) and i just rang the number. they new exactly which ones were needed and dispatched next day. I wanted to use same roof box and roof bars that fitted the rails on my previous 2003 vx. hope this might help thanks kipperwood

post-96420-0-79668200-1313877126_thumb.j

post-96420-0-69393000-1313877145_thumb.j

post-96420-0-27357200-1313877166_thumb.j

post-96420-0-36104100-1313877189_thumb.j

post-96420-0-66073200-1313877227_thumb.j

Hi and welcome, I have them on my XT4 they look really smart, Nice color Rav by the way :yes: Just out of curiosity where was last photo taken? (seaside photo) :unsure: Stew

Hi first time posting. I found the correct roof bars for my 2006 xt4 by going through links in this forum so i thought i would try and put some pics and info back on, to try to help out. I got all the info from pentagon toyota (they are found easily on google) and i just rang the number. they new exactly which ones were needed and dispatched next day. I wanted to use same roof box and roof bars that fitted the rails on my previous 2003 vx. hope this might help thanks kipperwood

Hi,

I fitted the same rails to my 2008 xt5. They are very useful when used in conjunction with some Thule Aero bars for carrying all manner of things. However, since I fitted them my fuel consumption has increased by roughly 5 MPG. They must add to the aerodynamic drag of the RAV but I was surprised at apparently how much. I'll take them off before my next long trip and see if it makes a difference. Could you keep an eye on your fuel consumption and see if you notice a difference? Maybe publish the result on here? I'd guess that Toyota didn't fit them originally for two reasons: Cost saving and fuel economy, which is fair enough, but I would like to try and quantify the difference it makes.

The last photo was taken along the beach front in Pwllheli in wales. The rav is a petrol version and when I first had it last year we went on run elsewhere before we had the roof box and the trip computer was reading 40mpg. (mainly duel carriage ways and motorways from midlands to fleetwood). Although the trip computer is proberly a bit generous, the same type of run with roof box on I would struggle to get 36mpg. Having the roof box on as expected causes alot of drag and you can physically feel the wind resistance, worse acceleration etc. I would say 4-5mpg drop would be a fair amount with box on but the type of box we have fits on Halfords quick release lockable cross bars and the whole lot lifts off in one go leaving just the rails that run front to back. I would say with just the rails on and with no cross bar to cause any drag you wont even notice the difference. The rest of the year around town or traffic we get anywhere between 31-34mpg without trying and the rav 4.2 petrol we had before was 28-31mpg with same drivers. Im sure the cross bars would cause drag if left on but they are so simple to put on or take off that I would remove them if I knew i wouldnt be useing them for awhile and not drive around for weeks with them wasting petrol. We are away again soon, will double check Mpg and post back. Kipperwood

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again, just been on a trip with top box back on the roof rails and the trip computer averaged 36.8mpg over 82.5 miles on way from the midlands to the coast at Fleetwood. Last year same trip, same time of year I managed 40mpg without the top box and rails. Toyotas official figures for the xt3 with the roof rails are the same as the xt4 and the rest without the roof rails (2.0 petrol with manual gearbox.)so for everyday use we have taken off the top box and cross bars and just left the front to back roof rails on. Hope this helps a little kipperwood.

Hello again, just been on a trip with top box back on the roof rails and the trip computer averaged 36.8mpg over 82.5 miles on way from the midlands to the coast at Fleetwood. Last year same trip, same time of year I managed 40mpg without the top box and rails. Toyotas official figures for the xt3 with the roof rails are the same as the xt4 and the rest without the roof rails (2.0 petrol with manual gearbox.)so for everyday use we have taken off the top box and cross bars and just left the front to back roof rails on. Hope this helps a little kipperwood.

A topical, if unfortunate aside: just came down M1 to find a roof box complete with cross bars in lane 3 accompanied in lane 1 by what looked like the remains of a BBG grill, some clothing and a (no longer) boot-mounted sports rack. All made for some interesting motorised choreography as the traffic all squeezed through the gap which was lane 2 whilst braking furiously and searching for the hazards switch! Well whoever it was is at least getting better mpg now.

Mind those rails & racks are all torqued up correctly!!

Yes your quite right,we have had the box for a few years now as we used it on our previous rav4. I must say the first time we used it I was bit nervous myself, even though I knew it was fitted well so I slid the inside cover back under the sunroof. I could see through the glass with the sunroof closed to look for any vibration etc, giving time stop to put it right if there was. The thing I am unsure of is if there is any speed restriction with the box fitted as we take our time but can imagine some idiots doing 100mph then wonder where the box has gone when they stop. thanks Kipperwood

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links