Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Saving Tips...

golders

Fuel Saving Tips

Use your gears wisely.

Driving in the highest gear possible without labouring the engine is a fuel-efficient way of driving. A vehicle travelling at 37mph in third gear uses 25 percent more fuel than at the same speed in fifth gear

Drive smoothly

Think ahead! By applying light throttle and avoiding heavy braking, you can reduce both fuel consumption and wear and tear. Research suggests driving techniques can influence fuel efficiency by as much as 30 percent.

Switch off your engine

Whenever it is safe to do so, switch off your engine, especially when stuck in traffic for a few minutes. If you have air conditioning think before you use it - it increases fuel consumption.

Drive off promptly

Don't leave your engine running when you first start up. Drive off straight away if you can, but drive gently until the engine has reached its normal operating temperature.

Lighten your load

Think carefully about what you need on a journey. if you do not need something, do not pack it. Remove roof racks if not needed. The lighter the load, the lower the fuel consumption and emissions.

Check your tyres

It is estimated that about 50% of tyres on the road are under inflated. Aside from increasing the rate of wear, this wastes fuel. Check your tyre pressures every fortnight.

Try the Free:

MPG Calculator: www.geocities.com/mpgcalc

edit

Edited by 97paseo

its a shame i didnt see this earlier - I only got 31 miles to £15 worth of SUL from my WRX STi.....

anyway - what's first on the list...

Use your gears wisely.

Driving in the highest gear possible without labouring the engine is a fuel-efficient way of driving. A vehicle travelling at 37mph in third gear uses 25 percent more fuel than at the same speed in fifth gear

Nahh forget it - no point purchasing a scooby if i did that :thumbsup: i'll live with the costs :D

Rash.

Right..... thanks for that. It is however printed in one form or another in every car handbook!

erm, half these are wrong....

Switch off your engine

Whenever it is safe to do so, switch off your engine, especially when stuck in traffic for a few minutes. If you have air conditioning think before you use it - it increases fuel consumption.

Starting an engine uses a lot more fuel than idling... so if you did this regularly, it wouldnt save you fuel!

Drive off promptly

Don't leave your engine running when you first start up. Drive off straight away if you can, but drive gently until the engine has reached its normal operating temperature.

Most cars nowadays have automatic chokes, so if you let the engine warm up fully before driving off, then the choke will shut off. Its more economical to have the choke on at idle than while driving.

Is there any forum he hasn't posted this in?

Yes....

Please don't re-post in every forum!!

Not wishing to smug :P but the best way to save fuel is buy a Prius :thumbsup:

Or ride a push bike :lol: .

I right fancy a Prius, but I'm afraid it'll be a good few years before I can afford one. By the time I have enough cash we'll all be flying around in hovercars! :(

Plus the usual things like remove the roofbox/roofbars to improve aerodynamics, and reverse into parking spaces to maneouvre on a hot engine not a cold engine when starting off.

However, the biggest fuel saving technique (not to mention safety) is to train in

Advanced Driving, either Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) or RoSPA in the UK.

Cabbies in Bulgaria, a few years back, usesd to coast down all the hills engine totally switched off to save fuel. (due to the poor economic state of the country)

Now that is a scary way to be economical!!

Most cars nowadays have automatic chokes, so if you let the engine warm up fully before driving off, then the choke will shut off. Its more economical to have the choke on at idle than while driving.

How can it be more economical to sit with your car ticking over wasting fuel?

Even if the enrichment circuit was working ( choke? modern car? no!) if the wheels are turning then it is not wasted fuel, it is only a waste if the wheels are not turning.

Lets face it if we wanted to save fuel we should cycle or we she should stay at home, if I wanted to read about valuable fuel saving tips I would read an old motoring magazine from about 1970 because I seem to remember a similar article being published then.

Oh how I wish they did a Prius people carrier :(

Cabbies in Bulgaria, a few years back, usesd to coast down all the hills engine totally switched off to save fuel. (due to the poor economic state of the country)

My grandfather used to do that in the 70's. I can confirm that it's scary! :eek:

Even more scary when the steering lock kicks in!! 4_6_100.gif

What scared me is when the vacuum in the brake servo ran out :eek:

What scared me is when the vacuum in the brake servo ran out :eek:

In situations like this It's always wise to wake up your passenger if they're asleep.

They've never seen a nasty accident before! :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links