Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol Warning Light

ocelotrevs

Quick question, how much petrol is left in the car when the petrol light comes on?

I would like to know so I can work out how much more I can go before I run dry.

Thank you.

Edit: My car is a Corolla 1.6 2002 model.

In all honesty that can vary car to car and there is no gaurantee any two will be the same. Stick a can of fuel in the boot and keep driving until you completely run out of fuel is the only sure way of finding out.

Even if each car was identical driving style and road conditions can cause vast differences.

There is roughly 10 litres left in the car when the light comes on. I know... I've just taken my fuel pump sender unit apart!

• Like 1

In all honesty that can vary car to car and there is no gaurantee any two will be the same. Stick a can of fuel in the boot and keep driving until you completely run out of fuel is the only sure way of finding out.

Even if each car was identical driving style and road conditions can cause vast differences.

I use the cars computer to find out the average mileage and then work from that. But thanks though.

I thought that it would be standard for all cars.

I wouldn't want to go more than 20-25 miles on the light cos breakdown may be imminent!

Ah cool. I should be able to get 60 miles on the light then.

Hey,

Two points -

1.Your tank should hold 55 ltrs - check your handbook.

When the low level light comes on fill up and subtract that from the 55 ltrs - so you then know how many ltrs you have in reserve; times your miles per gallon/ltrs you know how many miles you may go.

2. Work out the cost in money and time as how much it will be to get to a petrol station and back in the middle of nowhere /the night when your reserve calculations do not work out !! - think there is a word for that ....

Anybody else's car still running after the needle has reached the bottom of the fuel gauge and then gone below the last mark?? blink.gif

Not that i've ever done that.... a few times.... :lol:

Anybody else's car still running after the needle has reached the bottom of the fuel gauge and then gone below the last mark?? blink.gif

I do this every week, not alot of petrol stations on my route and bad planning means that i always go past the last mark, i drove a further 25miles after it had gone past the last mark before i got to a station and it still didnt cut out.

Depends how you drive, but 25miles past the very last needle seems ok.

I do this every week, not alot of petrol stations on my route and bad planning means that i always go past the last mark, i drove a further 25miles after it had gone past the last mark before i got to a station and it still didnt cut out.

Depends how you drive, but 25miles past the very last needle seems ok.

I spend most my time in that situation. touch wood I've not run out. its been so low the needle didn't even flicker that's when the Missus demands I goto Shell. while on topic and this may sound really stupid but when the fuel lights on and at bottom line does the engine performance seem to lack?

yeah performance lacks the only reason i could think of would be pressure in the fuel system but then again the fuel pump should maintain pressure? or maybe the ecu reduces performance to save itself incase the fuel does run out or you go so low with fuel that you start to pump the crud in the bottom of the tank through?

There is roughly 10 litres left in the car when the light comes on. I know... I've just taken my fuel pump sender unit apart!

About 2 Gallons then, so between 30 - 50 miles depending on how it is driven, not bad.

I try and keep it below 30 miles if the light comes on :lol:

so between 30 - 50 miles depending on how it is driven, not bad.

Is that all your guys with T-sports get in terms of fuel economy?! My mates edition 30 which is a 2.0 turbo gets better than that. Mind you he probably has more torque to shift up earlier?

• 1 month later...

10-12 litres.. but dont drive on higher rpms in that condition. your fuel pump can be damaged.

10-12 litres.. but dont drive on higher rpms in that condition. your fuel pump can be damaged.

Rubbish, the fuel pump will only be damaged if you run it dry.

My rule of thumb is, what ever the MPG trip is saying, thats what i tell myself I have left in the tank when the fuel light comes on.

If i know its going to be close to that before i can get petrol I adjust my driving to suit. Shift up early, radio and all other gadgets off and pace myself.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links