Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Facelifts Serious Oil Burn Problems?

Deelee888

Hi everyone!...omg I thought my 54 reg was immune to the serious oil burn issues facing the pre facelift models, my celicas been looked after meticulously! I've noticed it did have a oil burn issue...but not an all to consuming problem until when I checked it later. I took a round trip on motorway totaling 145 miles today...cos of some traffic the entire journey took me over two hours...I performed at very high speeds... """"""""....I checked and topped up the oil before I set of so the levels was perfect.....when I rechecked it today when i got home it was just over minimum!!!....how can this be? Ive topped up before I left!....does anyone have any solutions or im I stuck with this issue? Do Toyota do a cure for this issue?...has anyone else with the later models suffered this problem?...

Edited by Norfolk n Chance
Posts about breaking laws are not tolerated

As you have a facelift engine, you will not have the design flaw that causes the known oil issue.

What oil are you using?

You say you were driving at very high speeds, but at what rev range was you driving (sub 4k, 4-6k or 6k+)?

As you have a facelift engine, you will not have the design flaw that causes the known oil issue.

What oil are you using?

You say you were driving at very high speeds, but at what rev range was you driving (sub 4k, 4-6k or 6k+)?

Hi ewardio...I was traveling at various speeds my rev counter range varied from 4-6k...when I checked the oil after and it was tooo low I started to listen out to see if I had caused any engine damage...so far no strange noise, but there is slight vibration under the car where there wasn't any before all this...but this only happens when the cars warmed up. Because theres currently a good price at tescos on this oil...I'm using at the moment 5/30 fully synthetic Castrol...Ive checked up on the oil guide and Castrol do two 5/30 full synthetics...one for vauxhalls and this one for ztec ford, the guide says the ford one is suitable for vvti engines...although Toyotas ideal oil is 5/30 semi-synthetic....I know I shouldn't be having this problem with a late 2004 model so I need to do more research...what year and month did the engine change 2002/2003?....If I've got the old engine in mine have I got a case against Toyota to change it...despite it being so long now but then they shouldnt and wouldn't have put an older type engine in would they?....by the way with my vibration under the car it's like when the engines missing...dunno how to explain it...but hopefully I can sort out what went wrong oil wise by the way ewardio what model celica you got?....regards

..I was traveling at various speeds my rev counter range varied from 4-6k...when I checked the oil after and it was tooo low I started to listen out to see if I had caused any engine damage...so far no strange noise,

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there, how low was "low" you may have already done irepairable damage

Kingo :thumbsup:

What oil are you using?

Ewardio!!! Following on from my last reply about my rev counter and oil....I've just found something out....just checking my logbook my engine number begins with 1ZZ this is the old engine isn't it? The one with the design flaw? Looking over my logbook my celica was declared new at first registration and was registered in September 2004, making it just over seven years old...it's got two former keepers, my service history is very good MOT's for previous years up to date...shouldn't my car have the engine that begins with 2ZZ because I thought the old engine went out well before my car was made....

1ZZ is the 140, 2ZZ is the 190.

The facelift Celica's came out in 03/53, therefore your engine will be a facelift and therefore will not have the design flaw.

Ok silly question time. Did you check the oil once the engine had cooled down or just after you had stopped?

Remember that your oil will appear lower just after you have stopped than when it’s cold, basically because the oil is still clinging to parts of the engine.

As the Celica is a high revving engine, the higher up the revs you go the more oil will get burnt. If you ever do a track day, you’ll need to give it a little top up of oil after. As you were in the 4-6k band most of the time, you’re most likely been fluctuating around the VVT point. Saying that you shouldn’t have used that much oil.

Have you had a look around the engine bay for signs of an oil leak?

I do tend to take good care of the car which was why I checked it before I went on the long journey....afterwards I checked it again....so it's not a stupid question! Anyway seeing as it was low, I topped up but it took me about 2.5 litres until I checked the dip stick was just about right...but the next day I decided to check it again before I drove it and it was short! This was after i had already topped it up 2.5 litres!...I then topped it up again by about maybe a litre until it was right...there's no oil leaks on my driveway and I can't see any leakage...but after topping up since that day Ives not added any more oil but maybe it was the long journey, high revs etc....and also it was a hot day ( hottest day y

As a word of warning TOC does not condone posts about driving recklessly on public roads.

Nope...no recklessness there....just plain motorway driving...

I do tend to take good care of the car which was why I checked it before I went on the long journey....afterwards I checked it again....so it's not a stupid question! Anyway seeing as it was low, I topped up but it took me about 2.5 litres until I checked the dip stick was just about right...but the next day I decided to check it again before I drove it and it was short! This was after i had already topped it up 2.5 litres!...I then topped it up again by about maybe a litre until it was right...there's no oil leaks on my driveway and I can't see any leakage...but after topping up since that day Ives not added any more oil but maybe it was the long journey, high revs etc....and also it was a hot day ( hottest day y

Ok so you put in about 3.5ltrs. That's still a lot even for a long spirited drive. As the oil level was just above minimum, I'd keep a very close eye on things.

Another thing to try, is to warm the car up & then keep a look out for Blue smoke to see if it is burning oil.

Couple of things to add.

The face lift VVTi only takes 4 litres of oil for an oil and filter change. If you've added 3.5 to get the level to the MAX mark on the dipstick, there would have only been 0.5 litres in the sump!!.

Also, although somewhat irrelevant, the face lift versions of the Gen 7 were introduced in the Autumn of 2002, at the same time as the "52" plate.

PS..Castrol 5W30 Magnatec is actually a semi synthetic, despite it being labelled as a fully. True fully synthetic from Castrol is branded.."Edge".

Nope...no recklessness there....just plain motorway driving...

Driving at over 70mph upto the speeds you described, is definitely reckless.

Yes...guess I need to keep an eye on my oil consumption..scarlet arrow scared me with her reply that the celica takes 4 litres of oil for an oil change! That meant I put a lot in!!...thinking about it now the Castrol 5/30 come in 4 litre tubs...but even if I was wrong and put in maybe close to 3 litres...that is way too much!...so far I've not seen no blue smoke...strange tho but good news that I've heard no strange engine noise...so hopefully I've avoided any damage...thanks for your replies and il keep u posted on any happenings....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links