Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Mk 3 T-Spirit Satnav Update

Londoner1656

The best thing to do is list all the pros and cons and then make up your own mind

OEM nav pros:

1. It's built in.

2. Er, that's it.

:lol:

OK guys, I prefer having an independent set myself but joking aside here is a second stab at the pros list...

OEM Nav Pros

O-1. Less likely to have a breakin as the unit is built in so cannot easily be removed by tea leafs.

O-2. Don't have to fiddle around with physically setting it up before you drive away - less hassle and delay.

O-3. No need to clean the windscreen to avoid tell tale sucker marks (see 1 above)

O-4. Won't fall off the windscreen when you accelerate or corner hard :angry:

O-5. Integrates to HUD, displaying directions for you in an easy to see format.

O-6. Don't have to recharge it from the 12V socket, leaving the socket free for the 101 other things you use it for (electronic hand warmers anybody? :rolleyes: )

O-7. Doesn't take up windscreen space, so more room for your fluffy Garfields. Or better visibility. You chose.

Independent Set Pros

I-1. Can use it in any car you want.

I-2. A lot cheaper to buy.

I-3. A lot cheaper to keep up to date. (Is it? :unsure: )

I-4. Wider choice of devices so you can find something you really like rather than having to put up with just one user interface that might be annoying you.

I-5. Wider choice of voicemappings, settings.

I-6. When mounted it is in line of sight. You don't have to look down so far to see it. So improved safety and convenience.

For different people, the relative values of the above will mean a different choice.

I am sure others can add things to the starter for 13 above.

R04drunner1

(P.S. if you like this, please show it some love by +1. Reputation still -7, don't know why!?)

• Like 6

I can't add much to that list.

Built-in sat-navs:

O-8. Typically, have additional sensors, such as steering wheel position, wheel rotation, and inertial sensors to assist when the GPS receiver encounters poor GPS coverage.

O-9. No wires across the dash.

O-10. Better intergrated with the rest of the in-car audio.

Portable sat-nav:

I-7. Display the speed limit of the current road.

I-8. Speed Camera databases.

I-9. User supplied POI and third-party POI.

I-10. If they include bread crumb or adding way-points, you can use a portable GPS to find where you parked your car!

I-11. Integrate better with home PC for planning routes or seeing where you've been.

I did rep you but I'm not sure it is correct to ask for rep?

• Like 1

Pretty good pro's and con's there :thumbsup:

For some reason though, I've never been able to use the rep plus or minus, every time I try to use it, it tells me I've already used up my allowance for the day, so although I agree with the Pro's and Con's I can't do anything about it!

I've upgraded the base CD/radio unit (in the T3) to a chinese double din touchscreen unit. It has iGo8 SatNav which is on a microSD card so it is dead easy to keep up to date. Just pop out the card, hook it up to a PC, and get the latest maps / speedcams / POIs. So it gets many of the benefits of a portable SatNav and some of a built in SatNav. It doesn't integrate with the HUD though. :(

OEM Nav Pro: screen is bigger than portable.

Portable Pro: can be placed nearer to line of sight.

I think the HUD is a pointless gimmick. I wouldn't miss it. I have it permanently switched off in mine.

I think the HUD is a pointless gimmick. I wouldn't miss it. I have it permanently switched off in mine.

I find it distracting at night :thumbsup:

I find it distracting at night :thumbsup:

If you had had a Gen 2 you could of enjoyed the light reflected from the projected, speedometer that some owners complain about and that isn't even meant to have a HUD (which it doesn't). It's never bothered me, but then I usually have a couple of other gadgets with displays on the dash, so I've got more lights ignore B)

Must disagree - love the HUD on my T-Spirit. Also useful that the satnav shows on the windscreen to save me looking down at the map display. All a matter of personal choice I guess.

Must disagree - love the HUD on my T-Spirit. Also useful that the satnav shows on the windscreen to save me looking down at the map display. All a matter of personal choice I guess.

+1

I tend to check the speed on the hud rather than take my eyes off the road to look at the dash - it's brilliant!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links