Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Failed Mot On Headlight Alignment

aygo_gemma

Was quite gutted to hear back from Toyota this morning telling me that my Aygo would fail its MOT based on headlight alignment, and £27 to get it fixed. Whats the view on this price? is it fairly average to re-align? I know Toyota garages charge a bit more than local/smaller garages.

Also, i asked them to check out a tiny rattling/squealy noise my Aygo makes when idling. I've seen another topic posted on the subject and glad to hear others experience it, although, I wasnt too happy with Toyota's response. First time they looked at it a few months ago, they said they had tightend a loose connection, and it had gone away.... but it didnt. During MOT today, they looked at it, and said the noise is coming from the clutch (which makes sense because it only happens when clutch pedal is in and idling), but that the only way to rectify is an entire new clutch?!?! Considering that I had an entire clutch replacement done in June 2009, and cost me £700, I wasnt willing to get another one just to fix a small noise. I've always had a high opinion of my toyota garage, but todays thrown me off!

Headlight adjustment takes about a minute..

So the labour charge = £1620.00 per hour.

One of your lights is probably set too high.

In the car, roll the adjuster to "3" then back to the top so the lights are on the highest setting.

Under the bonnet, look on top of the headlight, there is a small, light grey adjuster with a hole down its centre.

Turning this (you can do it with your fingers with quite a strong grip), you can adjust the light up / down.

Park about 10 feet from a clean wall in a dark place.

Adjust the flat, horizontal part of the beam on the highest headlight to match the flat part of

the beam on the lower headlight.

See beam pattern here.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/230494_10150164856851459_556251458_7273283_6096901_n.jpg

Job done.

Ian.

EDIT......ask......If the headlight was set at the factory, how has it "un"adjusted itself?

Aaahh, as I expected. Oh well, its already fixed as I needed it to pass. Will make sure I book my car in somewhere else next year. Toyota 1 Gemma 0.

A decent MOT garage would sort the lights and pass it - it's quicker than doing the paperwork for a fail!

EDIT......ask......If the headlight was set at the factory, how has it "un"adjusted itself?

The usual reason is the headlight takes a knock and breaks either A or B plastic lug, Ive seen dozens of them like that on all sorts of Toyota

516808763_o.jpg

you are allowed to do slight adjustments on the mot ie adjusting lights i do this a few times a day and yip i do it for free...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links