Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Japanese Corolla !

jimforrest

Just bought a 1992/93 Corolla which was built in Japan, exported to New Zealand and then imported into the UK! It's a 1332cc DX model with auto trans and goes very well but I have two probs :

1) There's a little red button at the end of the gearchange gate (just above Park)with Japanese writing on it - what on earth does it do?

2) The speedo is in kilometers/hour and there isn't a smaller MPH scale as is usual on cars nowadays. Can I convert it to MPH just by changing the speedo head?

Also, if anyone knows where I can get a user guide or manual I'd be very grateful.

Jim.

The red button allows you to bypass the shift lock system, which prevents the transmission from leaving the Park position without the brake pedal depressed. Most cars have something of this sort. Now that I think about it, I believe that the red part is a cover, and that prying that off reveals the override button.

Secondly, the speedo itself can be changed with any speedo from a GB model Corolla in a salvage yard (so long as the instrument cluster looks similar... i.e., if your car has no tachometer, then a speedo from a GB model without a tachometer will work). Hatchback, saloon, or estate, it doesn't matter.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links