Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Chip Kit Is On .....

CharlieFarlie

Well the Chip kit has arrived and is now on the car... It certainly gives the car some extra go !! Drive is quicker in the higher gears from low down so less changing down to overtake I would think ...

Acceleration in 3rd and 4th gears from 2500 RPM up is where the power really impresses !

The Kit just makes the whole drive far more smother and it just seems to get up and go very well indeed.

Obviously its to early to say what the MPG improvements are but I went for a thrash along the coast road constantly dropping speed so as to accelerate in various gears to see how it felt so a very brisk drive ! Average MPG on the computer was 37.5 which is excellent taking into consideration the hooligan way in which I was driving...

John... The power leads to the Battery do need to be connected.. At first I did not connect them and the car would not start.. So then I connected them and it fired up straight away... BUT the engine management light / check VSC was on .... I thought Oh sh........

So I disconnected both leads and took the negative Battery terminal off and left it for 5 minutes Recconected and all is well.

I checked the OBD port with an Autel scanner and no fault codes have been stored....

Thanks.

Wee Charlie.

So the Postmans been then, sounds like one happy chappy Charlie. Would imagine when the first rush of blood is over, you will begin to see a positive increase of MPG.

Regards Clare

Well the Chip kit has arrived and is now on the car... It certainly gives the car some extra go !! Drive is quicker in the higher gears from low down so less changing down to overtake I would think ...

Acceleration in 3rd and 4th gears from 2500 RPM up is where the power really impresses !

The Kit just makes the whole drive far more smother and it just seems to get up and go very well indeed.

Obviously its to early to say what the MPG improvements are but I went for a thrash along the coast road constantly dropping speed so as to accelerate in various gears to see how it felt so a very brisk drive ! Average MPG on the computer was 37.5 which is excellent taking into consideration the hooligan way in which I was driving...

John... The power leads to the battery do need to be connected.. At first I did not connect them and the car would not start.. So then I connected them and it fired up straight away... BUT the engine management light / check VSC was on .... I thought Oh sh........

So I disconnected both leads and took the negative battery terminal off and left it for 5 minutes Recconected and all is well.

I checked the OBD port with an Autel scanner and no fault codes have been stored....

Thanks.

Wee Charlie.

Charlie....I think it's only the very latest model chip kits that don't require hard wiring to the Battery, but draw power from the wiring harness you interrupt to fit said arrapatus. The "less recent" ones still require juice-ification. Kingo would probably have answered you by now, but he'll be away t'sports retailer for my golf balls.....aye....fligs might pie.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Somebody mention pie? :eat:

Yes Charlie, they do need to be connected, the very very latest, as in the latest dont have a pos / neg lead, you just fit the two connections to the sensors

Now if you just lift your foot a bit, and use a lighter throttle, it is possible to have smoother power and delivery AND better MPG, if you drive it like you stole it, you are not likely to see too many gains

Kingo :thumbsup:

Wish i had charlies mpg!

Mines gone up from 29 to 32.7 so far, all city driving. Will see what happens when i next do a complete fill up.

John. Are there any power and torque curve graphs for the chips gains ?? The power curve is very smooth without dips. Many generic remaps give high numbers but little usebility.. This is not the case with the lindop tuning box

I would be very interested to see the Dyno curves if any exist ??

Thanks

Charlie.

Wish i had charlies mpg!

Mines gone up from 29 to 32.7 so far, all city driving. Will see what happens when i next do a complete fill up.

Mate My fuel consumption figures rose sharply after I had the new engine fitted about 10 weeks ago.. The engine has done about 5K miles now and is running absolutely spot on !!!

My Fuel computer was totally clear of any figures and data as the Battery had been disconnected .. The drive I gave it this afternoon was very aggressive ! As said the readout says 37.5 which is very good to say the least.. I find My car genuinely does more MPG on the posh Diesel like Vpower, At the moment though its full of Tescos finest as the nearest Shell garage is a long way from Our wee seaside town....

Wee Charlie.

John. Are there any power and torque curve graphs for the chips gains ?? The power curve is very smooth without dips. Many generic remaps give high numbers but little usebility.. This is not the case with the lindop tuning box

Thanks

Charlie.

There's a graph in THIS link if you can see it Charlie - it's not very clear on my laptop.

Thanks

Charlie.

There's a graph in THIS link if you can see it Charlie - it's not very clear on my laptop.

I think David should be given a star for being the Forums TOP link provider !!

David I cant read that graph Surely thats not a T180 graph ? The figures are all wrong ??

277419226_o.jpg

Max BHP before 133.9 After 230.8 ??????????????????????

I could translate the German text if I could read it ??? Specsavers ?? :crybaby:

Wee Charlie.

Thanks

Charlie.

David I cant read that graph Surely thats not a T180 graph ? The figures are all wrong ??

277419226_o.jpg

177PS rating at top of chart. I believe that equates to 175 BHP. Is that the rating for the T180?

Ah Ha........just put my glasses on and I see what you mean Charlie - the numbers/curves are for the 133PS standard 2.2 D4D.

Rat smelt. Guess we will have to wait for Kingo to clarify.

Not quite sure what my star was awarded for - couldn't find the LINK :lol:

Edited by Davrav

Thanks

Charlie.

277419226_o.jpg

177PS rating at top of chart. I believe that equates to 175 BHP. Is that the rating for the T180?

Yes that's right David 177 is the correct figure .. But look at the figures for the stock car then the car with the chip ?

Yes that's right David 177 is the correct figure .. But look at the figures for the stock car then the car with the chip ?

See edit to my last post Charlie...........

Thanks

Charlie.

277419226_o.jpg

Some nitwit already made sure that Davrav was given a star for exactly that reason, Charlie, and it was swiftly awarded by Giddlepin Les, who has unfortunefully since totally disappeared....damn nice chap....shame.....show

some more of that decking Les....need ideas.

Big Kev

I do have a graph Charlie, however i am not at my PC, I will post one up as soon as I can

EDIT-GRAPH

You will notice in the RH graph, the standard BHP is only 167 BHP, I have never seen one at 177, so the power is always lower than the quoted figure. This particular car had a chip kit with a slightly harsher file in it, the kits we supply are now adjustable, the standard setting, number 6 is about 200 BHP. In my experience, people worry far too much about what the dyno actually reads instead of the actual performance of the car. Dyno figures can vary considerably due to all sorts of factors, mainly the type of dyno / cooling used on the day and atmospheric conditions too

334610924_o.jpg

Kingo :thumbsup:

Yes I agree totals John the figures mean nothing if the power is all over the place !!

Looking at a graph illustrates a lot of things and helps Me recognise if My seat of the pants Dyno works or not.....Thanks

Wee Charlie. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Talking of dynos, how would you do a rav4 anyway?

Don't they need to continuously either be in 2wd or 4wd?

Talking of dynos, how would you do a rav4 anyway?

Don't they need to continuously either be in 2wd or 4wd?

Safest way would be on a four wheel rolling road/dyno..

Wee Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've decided that mine will get a tuning box fitted, after the Winter. I'll take it to the nearest dyno (75 mls away) and have it tested in 'before' & 'after' conditions. That way I'll have power & torque figures to compare & a drive home that's long enough to show any gain in MPG. If it doesn't work, it'll be going back . . . .

Well I've decided that mine will get a tuning box fitted, after the Winter. I'll take it to the nearest dyno (75 mls away) and have it tested in 'before' & 'after' conditions. That way I'll have power & torque figures to compare & a drive home that's long enough to show any gain in MPG. If it doesn't work, it'll be going back . . . .

I did My 360 mile commute today from Scotland to the Midlands.. I filled at the same place as the last run down and re filled at the same garage when arriving... Only difference being the tuning box is now fitted....

MPG gain ??????.........Nothing...... :crybaby: :crybaby:

Wee Charlie.

I did My 360 mile commute today from Scotland to the Midlands.. I filled at the same place as the last run down and re filled at the same garage when arriving... Only difference being the tuning box is now fitted....

Wee Charlie.

Was that the onboard 'puter or did you get the calculator out?

I got 5-7mpg (from 29 - 34/36) but I'm still hungry for more...I'm looking to try and average over 40 on a long run without driving like a granny :)

No gain on Mpg!?????????????WTF!......... No point in having an expensive box plumbed in to see nothing back. Gotta be a problem there somewhere maybe? :unsure:

Wee Charlie.

Thanks for replying with that info Charlie - out of interest which one did you get ? I've found 3 so far - TDI Tuning, Chip Express & LindopToyota. TDI is by far the cheapest at £285 & promise the same deal as C.E with guarantee & warranty. You should ask for your money back if it doesn't work.

I brim the tank at the Forth bridge with Shell V Power diesel.. I go cross country to Abington then the rest of the journey at 70 on cruise right down to Jct 6 of The M5 I refill the tank within 3 miles of said Jct6...

So no messing around with figures or computers.......

To be honest as I was getting such good economy since having the new engine I did not expect much... The computer shows an average of 41.7 and I'm happy with that..

Around town is where the box earns its brownie points though !! MPG is definitely way up in that area which given the way I drive is where I expected the gains and is where I've got them !!

Plus the car is just so much nicer to drive !! This box will not blow Your mind with massive power gains in terms of acceleration . The power is very smooth and non aggressive in its delivery but it s still there and Yes You car really notice it !!!

Send it back ?? Not a chance !!!!

My point of adding the long journey figures is so that Anyone buying one of these boxes ( LINDOP )will know what to expect...

Very Very definitely worth the money just for the way the car drives !! Good gains round town... And likely good gains on the motorway if Your driving style in those conditions is more aggressive than Mine ........

Wee Charlie.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links