Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fan Noise

DjRav

Hi All,

My heating/aircon fan has developed a whiry clicking noise. It's the fan located under the glove box.

NB 2.2 D4D Rav 4.3 (57 plate) XTR

Looks accessible, but before getting the tools out;

1) are there any pitfalls or precautions? (like springs popping out!)

2) are there any common issues?

Thanks

Dave

Take the cabin filter out and see if any leafs have got in.

Take the cabin filter out and see if any leafs have got in.

Spot on tip....I had a massive oak leaf the size of a child's hand in Funnerburd Too which made some strange sound effects.

Really meant to post this ages ago, but was scared of being thought as being mad......shurrit.... :shutit:

Big Kev :thumbsup:

If it does come to dropping the fan out it is easy but my guess is that it will still be a leaf or somthing else that has found its way in.

So, going by the pinned "how to" section I take the glove box out and remove/clean out from an access panel from above rather than drop the fan from below?

Dave

So, going by the pinned "how to" section I take the glove box out and remove/clean out from an access panel from above rather than drop the fan from below?

Dave

That's the easiest place to start Dave :thumbsup:

If that doesn't work just drop the fan out complete.

Did the filter thing (very easy) and it was filthy and leafy! Will need to get a new one. Unfortunately noise was still there. Dropped the fan (also piece of cake/5 min job) and found a nice big leaf (just the one!) fan now nice and quiet, thanks for all advice.

Dave

Got a new filter from my local Toyota dealer for £15. Popped it in (2 min job) and all's well.

For anyone that hasn't ever changed their filter DO IT! The old one (presumably 4 old years old never been changed) was black and filthy with all manor of debris on it. And this is what the air passes through before being blown round your car!

Dave

All good advice! Definitely clean the removable filter (slide-out white plastic drawer, behind the glove compartment; squeeze the sides of the compartment lid together to allow it to hinge right down - but empty it first!) regularly, say once every couple of months. The corrugated filter sheet can be vacuum cleaned, or airlined, and can also be washed out with slightly soapy water. It doesn't fall to bits when you do this.

Fan (motor) unit removal is easy from the footwell. Three torx screws to undo, then unclip the cable and unplug the connector from the fan. Easy.

After 135k km, mine has become noisy, and bearings gone dry (fan is stiff to turn). It's quite difficult to strip and get at the bearings and brushes, because Denso seem to have assembled it with press-tools and peened retainers. It is possible to open it all up, but take it easy, and remember that the plastic moulding around the brushes is polycarbonate and easily cracked. You will need to remove the fan from the shaft (probably a bit of a struggle), and remove the two outside screws to allow the metal motor casing to be extracted (also not easy) from the main plastic outer casing. Under no circumstances use even a light hammer on the end of the motor shaft: it will slip through the armature/winding, and its logitudinal positing will be lost, causing no end of problems with reassembly.

I found dry bearings, some cracked inner moulding around one of the brushes, and after putting it all together again, it was still noisy. The really bad news is that a new replacement is 338 Euro + IVA/VAT. These motors work long, long hours, so after 8 years, I guess I can't complain, and any breakers-yard part will probably have some history too.

All good advice! Definitely clean the removable filter (slide-out white plastic drawer, behind the glove compartment; squeeze the sides of the compartment lid together to allow it to hinge right down - but empty it first!) regularly, say once every couple of months. The corrugated filter sheet can be vacuum cleaned, or airlined, and can also be washed out with slightly soapy water. It doesn't fall to bits when you do this.

Fan (motor) unit removal is easy from the footwell. Three torx screws to undo, then unclip the cable and unplug the connector from the fan. Easy.

After 135k km, mine has become noisy, and bearings gone dry (fan is stiff to turn). It's quite difficult to strip and get at the bearings and brushes, because Denso seem to have assembled it with press-tools and peened retainers. It is possible to open it all up, but take it easy, and remember that the plastic moulding around the brushes is polycarbonate and easily cracked. You will need to remove the fan from the shaft (probably a bit of a struggle), and remove the two outside screws to allow the metal motor casing to be extracted (also not easy) from the main plastic outer casing. Under no circumstances use even a light hammer on the end of the motor shaft: it will slip through the armature/winding, and its logitudinal positing will be lost, causing no end of problems with reassembly.

I found dry bearings, some cracked inner moulding around one of the brushes, and after putting it all together again, it was still noisy. The really bad news is that a new replacement is 338 Euro + IVA/VAT. These motors work long, long hours, so after 8 years, I guess I can't complain, and any breakers-yard part will probably have some history too.

Re cleaning of filter, this has been covered before and if I remember correctly it was mainly agreed amongst the members to be inadvisable to wash the filter due to the composition and treatment processes during manufacture.

As this also traps pollen(very tiny particles,them)using an airline will blow out parts of the filter material making it more of a open composition therefore useless in this respect.

More and more people are now affected by pollen fever,so to my mind this is important occupant protection in the car.

Del

Hi Crofter,

Thanks - I hadn't read the previous correspondence. I've got into the habit now of cleaning my pollen filter several times a year now, and replacing it roughly every year or two. Dead things, leaves, dust, small twigs, and out here bits of olive trees, goat fluff . . .

I note what you say about degrading the fabric of the filter - thanks again.

Chris

(also a hay-fever sufferer)

goat fluff . . .

I'll let Big Kev have the pleasure of responding to that one ;)

goat fluff . . .

Classic retortment, Davrav....not had a belly laugh furrages....."ah've goat fluff in ma belly button"......

Big Kev :lol:

goat fluff . . .

Classic retortment, Davrav....not had a belly laugh furrages....."ah've goat fluff in ma belly button"......

Kev,Kev.

The mind boggles as to how that happened.

Was your friend called Billie?

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Del

goat fluff . . .

Fit one of them Filters to it then Kev ????...................... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wee Charlie.

goat fluff . . .

Kev,Kev.

The mind boggles as to how that happened.

Was your friend called Billie?

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Del

Nah Del....she was some bit of Nanny.....or was she a cracking bit of Gruff....?

Big Kev :yahoo:

Fit one of them Filters to it then Kev ????...................... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wee Charlie.

"BAH", he said, sheepishly. :rolleyes:

I gave My pollen filter a blow out with the air line today... What is that damper arrangement for on the side of the glove box ?? My one was unattached but its fairly obvious where it goes so I just re attached it...

Also is the rotary dial in the top of the glove-box for cooling ?? IE Air conditioned ??

Thanks...

Wee Charlie.

I gave My pollen filter a blow out with the air line today... What is that damper arrangement for on the side of the glove box ?? My one was unattached but its fairly obvious where it goes so I just re attached it...

Also is the rotary dial in the top of the glove-box for cooling ?? IE Air conditioned ??

Thanks...

Wee Charlie.

The damper is there to regulate the fall of the trough so it drops nicely without a sudden clunk that spills your stuff.

The dial thingy is, as you say Charlie, for directing aircon cooled air into the glovebox so you can have a nice cold canned bevrage of choice :pepsi::beer: [other beverages are available]

Thanks...

Wee Charlie.

The damper is there to regulate the fall of the trough so it drops nicely without a sudden clunk that spills your stuff.

The dial thingy is, as you say Charlie, for directing aircon cooled air into the glovebox so you can have a nice cold canned bevrage of choice :pepsi::beer: [other beverages are available]

David.. In that case My damper does not work ! There are two fixing positions on the damper body its self.. Should I try the other position ??

Wee Charlie.

Thanks...

Wee Charlie.

David.. In that case My damper does not work ! There are two fixing positions on the damper body its self.. Should I try the other position ??

Wee Charlie.

Well, I'm all for trying different positions...........

Yeah, if it's fitted correctly the container part should fall slowly. It is easy to get it wrong so just try the other way.

Thanks...

Wee Charlie.

Wee Charlie.

Yeah, if it's fitted correctly the container part should fall slowly. It is easy to get it wrong so just try the other way.

So that's your mission for tomorrow, Charlie min....does that make it the missionary position....? Memory does not go back that far....if you need a photo of how it should look when it's in correctly, just let me know....all those with warped minds go read 3 pages of Freelander Forum as your penance.

Thanks...

Wee Charlie.

Wee Charlie.

So that's your mission for tomorrow, Charlie min....does that make it the missionary position....? Memory does not go back that far....if you need a photo of how it should look when it's in correctly, just let me know....all those with warped minds go read 3 pages of Freelander Forum as your penance.

So You want photos of all the positions tried tomorrow ??? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: Coorrrr You could get Me into trouble :yahoo: :yahoo:

Wee Charlie.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links