Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Multimode Light Is On

sceh

My Yaris has the MMT box. Done 40k miles since new six years ago. Today whilst driving the MMT light went on and the engine keeps running but there is no drive. I stopped and then there was a warning beep. Switch off the engine and the light stayed on for about ten seconds. Waited 5 minutes and all is OK for about a mile and then the same again. Waited 30 minutes and then it went ok for the five miles to the garage where some goon told me immediately it was the gearbox (bright spark...). They will obviously tell me the error code and, knowing my local dealer, propose changing everything.

So, with this limited info, any ideas yet on what it could be? Do you find it normal that there should be any faults at all after such low mileage in a car which prides itself on 'quality'?

Are these things hard to fix yourself or is this due for the scrap heap already?

thanks for any pointers.

Hallo, In the Owners Manual, it states if the warning light comes on,the clutch is overheated.

I think that in your case, there could be excessive wear of the clutch friction surfaces,leading

to overheating. Advise you call at a large regional dealer for a diagnostic inspection, before

causing further mechanical damage.

Thanks you. I put it in today and await their diagnostic. It would be odd for a clutch on an auto-type box to go after 40k - even a boy racer would take 80k. We will see! Any idea how hard it is to change the toyota clutch? I have done it on other cars but fear being ripped of by the Toyota garage and would prefer to do it myself if possible.

Wonderful. After their 'diagnostic', they tell me it is indeed potential clutch wear and the only fix is a new one. The calim to have done some kind of adjustment but it is hard to see if they have and frankly I don't believe them. Now for the good bit. The garage agrees that this is abnormal and that the MMT box has caused problems all the time and is basically a load of crap. To change the clutch mechanism (since you can't just change the plates) will cost 3500 pounds and the parts alone cost 2000 pounds.

This is ridiculous of course and for Toyota to hide behind their guarantee is unacceptable. What they don't realise is that there is a clause called 'fit for purpose' in European consumer law. A clutch on an auto box (and btw they said it was caused by town driving - which is specifically what the car is for and which is precisely what I don't do..) which fails after 40k is not fit for purpose.

I have written to Toyota in Europe and sent a personal letter to the company president in Japan asking for a free repair or free spare parts. 2000 pounds for a clutch is robbery.

Until I get satisfaction, I have put a large 'MY TOYOTA IS CRAP' sign on my back window just like the 'MY TOYOTA IS FANTASTIC' signs they used to have. I hope they sue me for defamation - should be fun...

course you can just change the plates course you can i have done loads and yes these cars do go through more clutchs than a normal box...

dont know who told you you cant replace a clutch on them!!!!but you can

• 1 month later...

So, after a letter to Toyota France, Toyota Euriope and Toyota Japan (addressed to the president) plus a couple of calls, Toyota France have told me thye will repair it for free! Must be somehting they are a bit embarrassed about! All I have to do now is to give the car to the incompetent garage who told me the entire actuator and control system had to be changed as one piece....

Anyway, a good attitude from them - migjht even buy another one now

• 10 months later...

So, after a letter to Toyota France, Toyota Euriope and Toyota Japan (addressed to the president) plus a couple of calls, Toyota France have told me thye will repair it for free! Must be somehting they are a bit embarrassed about! All I have to do now is to give the car to the incompetent garage who told me the entire actuator and control system had to be changed as one piece....

Anyway, a good attitude from them - migjht even buy another one now

Has everything been ok since. Our Yaris has done 50K miles and the MMT has been problematic in the past but no the gear change doesn't seem right. They checked MMT and suggest clutch could be the issue. We drive the car in MMT mode 99.999% of the time and would expect it to handle clutch change properly and not cause the need to replace it at 50K.

I took up their offer but decided to wait until it really broke rather than trusting it to the local Toyota garage that gave me a quote which was stupid. Stupid means they said they had to change the whole unit and I know this is not true. Anyway, I changed the oil and drove on. Apart from one minor glitch when it seemed to overheat and the light came on, it has run perfectly for 8 months. If it does break down I will nag fro a free repair. Remember that they openly talk about their cars being OK for 100k miles and if pressed will waive the guarantee as they did in my case. TO still have jerky gear-changes at 50k is not acceptable so push Toyota directly and not the garage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links