Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Modern Electric Handbrakes

rambler

I was just looking at the Range rover Evoque website..(Sorry):huh:

When i spotted on the center console....the tiny electric hand brake button.

The other day at work,i had to do a very small delivery in a managers 11 plate Vauxhall Astra estate,upon parking in Colchester town ...very briefly on double yellow's :lol:

I looked for the handbrake........it was'nt there :eek: ....instead,a small button with " ! " on it.Oh S**T i thought is that the blinkin handbrake.

I ended up trying to find a level parking spot,leaving it in gear.....as had no idea if handbrake was on...

I hate those poxy buttons.:angry:

My Jag has the same electric handbrake mechanism as the Evoque and I love it !!!I jump in and select reverse to back off the drive and it auto releases.. Same in traffic Touch the go pedal and the brake goes off as if by magic ! Cant pull it on to far .. Cant stretch the cable .... Only thing is I suppose is its just something extra to go wrong ???

Oh and a little symbol on the dash lights up like any handbrake warning light to let You know its on ... :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

I'm in two minds about it. You have three new weird decisions in modern cars. One is a keyless start - but you still need to put the fob in the dash. :blink: Two is an electric handbrake and three is an auto gearbox - but they still take up the prime real estate in the centre console. :blink:

If you are going to add more features (and possible repair bills) at least make than inviting, such as a decent twin cup holder or central handbag/laptop/briefcase storage area and keyless starting where the keys can remain in your pocket for both the unlock and starting.

With the keyless entry and start on both of Our cars the keys stay either in My pocket or the Wife's handbag.... No need to put the fob in the dash ......

The car senses the keys as You walk up to the car so the doors simply open when You pull the handle

To lock press the wee square black button on the door handle. No need to take the fob out of the pocket to press the button on it...

When I go to the gym I walk up to the car which senses the key. Open the rear door and throw My gym bag into the back.. The car starts with the keys in My bag in the back of the car....

Another feature is that it is impossible to lock the car with the keys inside the car....

Both cars have twin forward cup holders ...

Lap top ?? Under the seat ????

Wee Charlie.

No hand brake turns then? :crybaby:

Well You can but control would have to be good !! There would also have to be some wiring to overide the cars elctrickery as well :thumbsup:

With the keyless entry and start on both of Our cars the keys stay either in My pocket or the Wife's handbag.... No need to put the fob in the dash ......

Wee Charlie.

That keyless unlock and start is quite rare or an expensive option. Most BMW and VAG cars don't have it as standard and it's a top option on the Ford. The XK is one of the coolest intereiors around, but look at most other cars and they haven't got it right.

I saw the Volvo YCC concet - a car designed for women by women, yout they had this practical approach to the centre console.

YCC34.jpg

Volvo took some of that on board and came up with this dash

19.jpg

My point remains that with most cars, they have gone halfway, adding the overcomplicated replacement for a simple system of handbrake and ignition; and not finishing the job and reusing the premium real estate around the driver for modern conveniences, or adding the fully keyless access unless you pay for the option.

My old Passat had one of these, i loved it, a great piece of kit. The Mrs would not drive the car though, another positive :thumbsup: :D

That keyless unlock and start is quite rare or an expensive option. Most BMW and VAG cars don't have it as standard and it's a top option on the Ford. The XK is one of the coolest intereiors around, but look at most other cars and they haven't got it right.

Standard on my Prius so maybe not so rare after all! Key fob stays in my pocket from home to car to home!

I saw the Volvo YCC concet - a car designed for women by women, yout they had this practical approach to the centre console.

YCC34.jpg

The gen2 Prius had that sort of centre console - with the gap between that and the dash....

Wee Charlie.

YCC34.jpg

Volvo took some of that on board and came up with this dash

19.jpg

My point remains that with most cars, they have gone halfway, adding the overcomplicated replacement for a simple system of handbrake and ignition; and not finishing the job and reusing the premium real estate around the driver for modern conveniences, or adding the fully keyless access unless you pay for the option.

Well nothings for nothing ??? The manufacturers would love to fit keyless go and entry into every car but the Folk would complain they are having to pay for something they didn't want or need ??

I had it in a Mondeo Titanium X The T180 and its in the Jag... All work perfectly well with no need to use the keys just carry them somewhere on Your person or as said in a bag or pocket.... Brilliant things !!!!!!

I had it in a Mondeo Titanium X The T180 and its in the Jag... All work perfectly well with no need to use the keys just carry them somewhere on Your person or as said in a bag or pocket.... Brilliant things !!!!!!

Agreed, absolutely brilliant :yahoo:

Renault lagunas had keyless entry in 2000

How do they work when opening the doors, do the doors open when you get near the car, and then lock when you are out of range?

How do they work when opening the doors, do the doors open when you get near the car, and then lock when you are out of range?

As You walk up to the car the car senses the key is in range so the door opens when You pull the handle..

When You close the door there is a small square button on the door handle.. You simply press this once and the doors lock....

They didnt work all that often from memory :lol: ;)

Another feature is that when you have locked the car via the black button You can pull the door handle Once to check the doors are locked.. This will not open the door... Pull again and the doors will unlock..

Wee Charlie.

On the Hyundai thing i have if the keys are in your pocket the boot opens (by pulling the tailgate) when the cars locked, so you cant check its locked when the keys are on you. Helpful and annoying all in one!

They didnt work all that often from memory :lol: ;)

True I belive they went back to keys, as no one could get into there cars, if they could they could not start them

On the Hyundai thing i have if the keys are in your pocket the boot opens (by pulling the tailgate) when the cars locked, so you cant check its locked when the keys are on you. Helpful and annoying all in one!

Both Jaguar and Toyota allow You to check by the first pull... This will not permit either the boot or the doors to open.. Pull again and they will then open...

On The Jag You can open the boot totally independently of the doors . This is not possible on the Toyota.. :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

Both Jaguar and Toyota allow You to check by the first pull... This will not permit either the boot or the doors to open.. Pull again and they will then open...

On The Jag You can open the boot totally independently of the doors . This is not possible on the Toyota.. :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

The thing only has a keyless boot not the doors, then once your in its push button keyless. Its all a bit odd to me :unsure:

Hired a Passat in Germany -couldn't work out how to use the handbrake -sometimes it seemed to be on when you didn't want it to be on and vice versa. Complete nightmare -I never want one.

Hired a Passat in Germany -couldn't work out how to use the handbrake -sometimes it seemed to be on when you didn't want it to be on and vice versa. Complete nightmare -I never want one.

On the Jag its a simple lever/switch.. When its on the little light is lit.. When its off it isn't... It really is just that simple !

I neither love or hate it ,, I've never even thought about it.. Likely because its just so easy to use..

Keyless Go and entry though is a brilliant idea and I would really miss it if it was not there !!.............. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie.

Well you better get used to them because it is only a matter of time before ALL cars have electric handbrakes. There are moves afoot for new legislation (Brussels again) that will mandate the fitting. The reason is quite simple - a little old lady is entitled to buy a Range Rover but she can't necessarily haul the handbrake on so we have to provide for her. Citreon Xantias used to fall off car transporters because the hand brake on the front wheels were capable of relaxing after a little cooling and they would eventually end up in a heap.

You can't be too H&S conscious you know :censor:

You know what else is coming? The end of manual gearboxes.

I'm in two minds about it. You have three new weird decisions in modern cars. One is a keyless start - but you still need to put the fob in the dash. :blink: Two is an electric handbrake and three is an auto gearbox - but they still take up the prime real estate in the centre console. :blink:

If you are going to add more features (and possible repair bills) at least make than inviting, such as a decent twin cup holder or central handbag/laptop/briefcase storage area and keyless starting where the keys can remain in your pocket for both the unlock and starting.

I definitely miss key less entry and start. I would happily pay for it as an optional extra.

But the key fob is not just for starting - the BMW uses it to store and transfer your preferences like electric seat position, radio settings, ventilation, etc. With two fobs your partner can have their own setup.

Although with all the computerisation, having individual user accounts setup in the computer would make more sense in the future.

You know what else is coming? The end of manual gearboxes.

Hopefully the end of auto gearboxes, replaced with dry clutch DSGs. Although I wonder if all of that will be abandoned for diesel-electric hybrids, where the fossil fuel engine never drives the wheels directly. Starting with petrol/electric car allowing a leanburn cycle at fixed RPM and high compression ratios, with all the benefits that brings for tuned valve shaping, manifold porting, fixed engine load ignition timing and flame-shape tuning. We already have the Chevy Volt that does not drive the wheels directly.

I definitely miss key less entry and start. I would happily pay for it as an optional extra.

But the key fob is not just for starting - the BMW uses it to store and transfer your preferences like electric seat position, radio settings, ventilation, etc. With two fobs your partner can have their own setup.

Although with all the computerisation, having individual user accounts setup in the computer would make more sense in the future.

That's a really nice feature, but it was introduced on the E39/E46/E38 in the late 90s when the cars still used a key; ie: it was never unique to the fob-in-the-dash or keyless systems. They can also store the vehicle mileage on the keys, and the keys eventually became rechargeable from the coil used to read the key chip.

The Jag does all the above and its backed up by a wee set of buttons on the door.. Memory seats ??? But can I be buggered to set it all up ???? Nah ............. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wee Charlie.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links