Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warning Lights

Springy

Avensis D4-D TR, 07.

I feel sick. Driving in to work, the "TRC OFF" and the "VSC" lights came on, along with the engine light. I have also noticed that my fuel consumption has increased, I am now getting about 36mpg around town rather than about 40, and the running seems a bit lumpy when idling.

Any ideas? Any estimates on how much this is likely to cost? Sod's law, I am on annual leave as from today and going away on Weds!

Avensis D4-D TR, 07.

I feel sick. Driving in to work, the "TRC OFF" and the "VSC" lights came on, along with the engine light. I have also noticed that my fuel consumption has increased, I am now getting about 36mpg around town rather than about 40, and the running seems a bit lumpy when idling.

Any ideas? Any estimates on how much this is likely to cost? Sod's law, I am on annual leave as from today and going away on Weds!

Hello mate, this fault can sometimes be due to the EGR valve being clogged up and sticking, do a search on the forum as there are lots of guides telling you how to do it and it will only take a hour or so.

Edit ... you will need a couple of gaskets from your local Toyota dealers if you or someone else is going to do it.

Regards

Pete.

Thanks Pete - I should have asked this earlier - will it be safe to drive the car the eight miles or so to the garage?

Avensis D4-D TR, 07.

Hang on mate! Dont clean the EGR valve yet as if its caused carbon build up on the pistons you could get a new engine off Toyota FOC... Take a search for the TSB thats been posted loads of times about the EGR valve and headgasket failure on the 2AD engine as well as others...

Avensis D4-D TR, 07.

Hang on mate! Dont clean the EGR valve yet as if its caused carbon build up on the pistons you could get a new engine off Toyota FOC... Take a search for the TSB thats been posted loads of times about the EGR valve...

Hi Mistermena, please excuse my stupidity, what do you mean by TSB?

Avensis D4-D TR, 07.

Hang on mate! Dont clean the EGR valve yet as if its caused carbon build up on the pistons you could get a new engine off Toyota FOC... Take a search for the TSB thats been posted loads of times about the EGR valve...

Hi Mistermena, please excuse my stupidity, what do you mean by TSB?

TSB= Toyota Service Bulletin :thumbsup:

Someone will post on in a min I bet for you...

Avensis D4-D TR, 07.

Are you aware that there is an extended warranty of 7 years and 112k on the Avensis for certain issues? Lots of post on here about the dredded EGR and headgasket failure which is covered under the fantastic Toyota's "Good will" warranty...

Avensis D4-D TR, 07.

Are you aware that there is an extended warranty of 7 years and 112k on the Avensis for certain issues? Lots of post on here about the dredded EGR and headgasket failure which is covered under the fantastic Toyota's "Good will" warranty...

Hey hey! No, I wasn't aware, that'll be brilliant if I can talk them into it - just nipping off to google now!

Avensis D4-D TR, 07.

Hey hey! No, I wasn't aware, that'll be brilliant if I can talk them into it - just nipping off to google now!

You wont need to talk them into it mate if this has caused engine damage. All you need to show Toyota is that the car has had a service history (And this doesn't have to be a full Toyota one at all) and that your car falls within the 7 year 112k extended warranty period. If that is the case then you'll get a new 3/4 engine plus lots of other stuff. And if its like mine that cost £6500.

Well done Toyota for putting there customers 1st. No other marque would do that after the original warranty expired!...

I cannot thank you enough for this. I wandered off into Google Land and found this link

http://www.autosafety.org/secret-warranties.

I have been really disappointed with my car, I thought Toyotas were supposed to be reliable. At 40k my brake pads needed to be replaced, which is fair enough, but they also had to change my front disks, and my water pump! They did the pump FOC, to be fair. This was probably done under the Good Will warranty you mentioned.

I cannot thank you enough for this. I wandered off into Google Land and found this link

http://www.autosafet...ret-warranties.

I have been really disappointed with my car, I thought Toyotas were supposed to be reliable. At 40k my brake pads needed to be replaced, which is fair enough, but they also had to change my front disks, and my water pump! They did the pump FOC, to be fair. This was probably done under the Good Will warranty you mentioned.

Not a problem my mate :thumbsup:

Hot foot it down to your main dealer. Pop the bonnet and check for white streaks on the black plastic engine cover. Take a look at the pink coolant to see if there is a black tinge in there, also if the cabin heater doesnt blow out hot air and somtimes makes a gurrgellinng sound and the engine temp guage goes over normal. This could be the headgasket going due to the EGR valve clogging up the cyclinders with carbon.

Hope you get it sorted. Feel free to PM (Private message) me for any help

Cheers

I am ecstatic. I armed myself with the Warranty Bulletin, got to the garage, argued that it was the EGR, they said no it isn't because I'm not getting black smoke or loss of power, and wouldn't entertain more warranty work. The guy has just phoned to say that from day 1 my EGR has been stuck partially open, causing the symptoms eventually, and this explains the no black smoke and no power loss situation. They are fitting a new EGR and filters today, with a brand spanking new engine going in in about six weeks!

Hats off to Toyota!!

I am ecstatic. I armed myself with the Warranty Bulletin, got to the garage, argued that it was the EGR, they said no it isn't because I'm not getting black smoke or loss of power, and wouldn't entertain more warranty work. The guy has just phoned to say that from day 1 my EGR has been stuck partially open, causing the symptoms eventually, and this explains the no black smoke and no power loss situation. They are fitting a new EGR and filters today, with a brand spanking new engine going in in about six weeks!

Hats off to Toyota!!

Dont you just love it when a plan comes together! (Extract taken from the "A TEAM" Lol)

So you'll be joining the ranks (Like me) of the new engine owners! The new engine will run nice and quiet and you'll see your mpg go right up.

Well done mate and well done Toyota for looking after your customers in such a 1st class manor.:toast::thumbsup::toast::drunk::driving::yes:

Hats off to Toyota!!

Dont you just love it when a plan comes together! (Extract taken from the "A TEAM" Lol)

So you'll be joining the ranks (Like me) of the new engine owners! The new engine will run nice and quiet and you'll see your mpg go right up.

Well done mate and well done Toyota for looking after your customers in such a 1st class manor.:toast::thumbsup::toast::drunk::driving::yes:

And very well done Mistermena !!!!.... what a great call that was! ( at least I wasn't totally wrong then ;) ). Great result for you Springy, I bet you don't feel sick now then :yahoo:.

Three cheers for Toyota GB :toast:.

Best regards .... Pete.

• Like 1

Hats off to Toyota!!

And very well done Mistermena !!!!.... what a great call that was! ( at least I wasn't totally wrong then ;) ). Great result for you Springy, I bet you don't feel sick now then :yahoo:.

Three cheers for Toyota GB :toast:.

Best regards .... Pete.

Hip Hip.................................. Herrrraaayyyy! :thumbsup:

Many thanks my mate. It was one of those days for me that dont come along that oftern anymore at my age!!! Lol :lol:

And, of course, thanks to Pete from me. I'll keep you posted on what happens, I have had the egr fitted, just awaiting the new engine now. I'm off on a 500 mile round trip now, I hope the car gets me there and back! I won't be able to check th forum for the next few days, I hopr my experiences will help others here!

Do this gaskets need to be replace new one?

There are times when you may get away using an old gasket but why would you risk it as they don't cost much.

Pete.

• 4 weeks later...

Update - my car went in for the engine work, they had it for two days and now it is running fine. Fuel consumption is still high, but improving - 35 mpg around town, hoping it will climb back up to 42 once the bits bed in. I haven't had a detailed log on the work carried out as yet. Virtually new engine at 45000 miles - surprised that I only get 1 year warranty, I thought it might be 3 as it is a new engine. More power, quieter, and doesn't rattle anywhere near as much under load.

Update - my car went in for the engine work, they had it for two days and now it is running fine. Fuel consumption is still high, but improving - 35 mpg around town, hoping it will climb back up to 42 once the bits bed in. I haven't had a detailed log on the work carried out as yet. Virtually new engine at 45000 miles - surprised that I only get 1 year warranty, I thought it might be 3 as it is a new engine. More power, quieter, and doesn't rattle anywhere near as much under load.

Don't be too concerned, i'm sure some people on here have had more than one engine!

• 3 weeks later...

Me again, the OP. I realise I musn't swear on this forum so put your own suggestions in the blank space Driving in to work this morning, the ------------ing three lights (VSC, TRC, ECU) came on again, three weeks or so after the engine swap. -------------!

I've just sent a rant to head office, awaiting their reply.

Me again, the OP. I realise I musn't swear on this forum so put your own suggestions in the blank space Driving in to work this morning, the ------------ing three lights (VSC, TRC, ECU) came on again, three weeks or so after the engine swap. -------------!

I've just sent a rant to head office, awaiting their reply.

No Fu@king way mate???!!!!... WTF is up with it now? :( Thought it would have been running as sweet as a nut with the new engine? :blink:

Yes, way. The car is booked in for 08:00 tomorrow morning. Originally the lights came on after the engine warmed up, now they come on immediately. Petrol consumption at 35 rather than 40 +, lumpy at low revs, and rattles like hell under load. Exactly the same as before. I'm going to get the damn thing fixed and seriously consider a petrol Focus - I'll just have to stand the loss, I paid 11500 for it, I'll be lucky if I get 4500 part ex. Bugger.

Gutted for you mate! Diesel consumption will go down due to the cold weather, but the dash board lighting up like a Christmas tree in no way should happen now! You did get a new 3/4 engine correct? Did you get the full job sheet that details all the work? I'd be right ****** off an all...

You didn't put Petrol in it by mistake did you mate? I only ask that as you said Petrol consumption was down and not Diesel consumption!

Yes, way. The car is booked in for 08:00 tomorrow morning. Originally the lights came on after the engine warmed up, now they come on immediately. Petrol consumption at 35 rather than 40 +, lumpy at low revs, and rattles like hell under load. Exactly the same as before. I'm going to get the damn thing fixed and seriously consider a petrol Focus - I'll just have to stand the loss, I paid 11500 for it, I'll be lucky if I get 4500 part ex. Bugger.

Petrol consumption???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links