Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Eco Mode Problem

rjbee

After about 20 seconds in eco mode my engine will restart without my doing anything. If it was low Battery then presumably eco mode wouldn't work at all.

Anyone else had this problem?

The Battery level may be ok so ECO stops the engine. But if you have a lot of things switched on i.e. heater, lights, radio, wipers and so on or a combination of them then the engine will start automatically. I have noticed if only the heater is on but turned up high and it starts blowing cool air out due to the engine being off, it will restart the engine.

Are you sure you're not resting your foot on the clutch a bit too hard and starting the engine that way.

Also taking foot of brake and rolling the car will start the engine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions but the engine still restarts when left on the drive with no lights or AC running and me out of the car.

looks like this problem hasn't been experienced by the 'gurus' on the site, as the responses have been minimal.....

if this issue has occurred with one IQ, it must have been an issue with others, so lets hope some of The Brains start scratching their heads

how old, and how many miles has the car done..........are you the first owner...........more details needed

barryc.

Sorry.. but I do not comply with this problem....

We do not have start/stop eco systems.... are you talking about an iQ or an Prius or Auris Full Hybrid / or a Chevrolet Volta????

Sorry... but does not compute... :unsure:

Peter

Peter,

I says IQ3 under his name wink.gif

Do you not have the option of stop start tech the over there? blink.gif

Sorry.. but I do not comply with this problem....

We do not have start/stop eco systems.... are you talking about an iQ or an Prius or Auris Full Hybrid / or a Chevrolet Volta????

Sorry... but does not compute... :unsure:

Peter

The car is an IQ3 that I've had from new 14 months ago. It has done 3000 miles and until recently the eco mode worked perfectly.

For the benifit of Sweet-Dentist, eco mode stops the engine automatically when the car is at a standstill and restarts it when the clutch is depressed.

In the UK it is standard on the IQ3 but I'm not sure about other models.

Confused.com.

Is the Stop/Start on the car actually called 'ECO mode' by Toyota or in your owners manual?

My 'ECO mode' was the light you could choose to have showing or not on a Multidrive with no Stop/start

to in theory encourage or help you achieve better economy. (well worth ignoring IMO & IME..)

I would have a problem like an engine starting when it fancies checked out PDQ. Too damn risky.

Does it only happen outside your home or just anyplace?

george

Confused.com.

Is the Stop/Start on the car actually called 'ECO mode' by Toyota or in your owners manual?

My 'ECO mode' was the light you could choose to have showing or not on a Multidrive with no Stop/start

to in theory encourage or help you achieve better economy. (well worth ignoring IMO & IME..)

I would have a problem like an engine starting when it fancies checked out PDQ. Too damn risky.

george

It should only restart when the clutch is depressed but the gearbox has to be in neutral for it to stop in the first place.

Peter,

NO... not on any iQ... strangely enough...

We have ONE type of iQ with 1 liter engine... but the model has changes a little on specs... I have model number 2 (meaning a lowerable seat).. and other inside materials...

But none have start stop....

And I have a CVT so the green ECO light turns off when I step on the accelerator... but nothing else than that... :-(

Peter

Peter,

NO... not on any iQ... strangely enough...

We have ONE type of iQ with 1 liter engine... but the model has changes a little on specs... I have model number 2 (meaning a lowerable seat).. and other inside materials...

But none have start stop....

And I have a CVT so the green ECO light turns off when I step on the accelerator... but nothing else than that... :-(

Peter

I've been calling the system eco mode because it says 'eco' on the button which turns the system on and off. The handbook refers to it as the 'sop and start' system. Hope this helps.

Confused.com.

george

It only works when the car is put into neutral, so it cannot start the engine whilst it is in gear. As soon as you press the clutch the engine restarts. I you try putting it in gear without pressing the clutch you get a bleeping alarm from the dash to warn you.

I have found it works perfectly.

RJBEE it might be time for it to be checked over at a garage.

My only concern with the stop start technology is that it could see the need to have the Battery replaced a lot sooner than normal, as it it working a lot harderwacko.gif

Confused.com.

george

It only works when the car is put into neutral, so it cannot start the engine whilst it is in gear. As soon as you press the clutch the engine restarts. I you try putting it in gear without pressing the clutch you get a bleeping alarm from the dash to warn you.

I have found it works perfectly.

RJBEE it might be time for it to be checked over at a garage.

My only concern with the stop start technology is that it could see the need to have the Battery replaced a lot sooner than normal, as it it working a lot harderwacko.gif

Maybe he has a faulty switch associated with the clutch pedal that signals the ECU that the clutch pedal has been de-pressed and it restarts when in fact he hasn't pressed it at all

David

Still ... very strange to have an ECO green light... that I can put off by a switch... AND a CVT .... so what the point..

Nothing really changes when I put it in the OFF mode.

Only to see that it goes from "green" to "off" when I really push the metal to the pedal and step on the accelerator (meaning I am using more petrol than appropriate).

... I mean...really ....what's the point?????

Peter

My experience is if you are going along at around 55-60 mph & you had to slow down & then you needed to start climbing an incline of say a mile of straight road and you are to pay any attention to try and keep that green ECO Mode light shining/showing you never get back up to 60mph.

I used it as a guide to ignore it totally and got pretty good economy.

It was switched on (the light) but i just got the vehicle up to speed as quickly as was safe too giving it some throttle then backed off the pedal.

Light started to shine again & every vehicle behind me was not trying to overtake me then hold me up as they dooddled along watching their Eco Meter.

Really really a stupid thing to include with a CVT box IMHO,

i can not believe that you can save fuel paying attention to it while driving a 1.0 CVT, and driving according to that light.

It is good for letting you see that you can save fuel by needing no throttle when holding off behind a HGV or box van.

(i know that is drafting and we have had that debate on here, i do not meeen drafting close, i mean well back at the rearmost drating position were thge HGV driver sees you, you know where that is, you need no wipers if there is rain & the ECO Light stays on you need almost no throttle if you get in that 'Eddie',

its like an 'Eddies' on a river in a canoe, where you can Ferry Glide, across the slot from Eddie to Eddie with only a few light paddle strokes and no effort.. )

PS I was driving a Diesel Automatic with Stop/Start the other week.

What a disaster.

It did cancel the Stop/Start, if the door or boot was opened, if you put on the rear wiper, if your hazard lights were put on, & i think when the rear fog light was put on.

Using it in winter where you might want to just keep a small crawl forward on a Diesel Auto would be useless with that system, it was on a Peugeot Bipper Tepee & probably is the same on a Qubo or Nemo.

george

True... true... sooooo true.... :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links