Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Vvti 140Bhp 2000

Absolut87

Hello everyone,

I bought a celica a month ago and on the 1st week i started to have some issues with it.

Driving in 4th gear and then breaking my oil light was coming up flashing sometimes.

I did notice there wasent any oil at all.

Went to the garage and explain to them about that and that the car was making some wierd noises from the engine which i believe was the bearings.

He told me to put a thick oil into it for test, 15w40.

After probably 3/4 weeks i drove like 700 miles and car starts to make the same noise and also when going in 3/4th gear engine was more louder the used to be by itself like revin high.

Im scare of the worst so any information about it would be great , if i really have to change something let me know.

Ive done a new service with a 5w30 syn today, but still have a small noise from bearings and that high noise from the engine.

Hi & welcome to T.O.C.

It's a shame you didn't come on here before buying the car as otherwise you would be aware of the oil burning issue on the VVTi.

Firstly, did you buy the car retail, or privately?. If it's the former, you may have some comeback under the sale of goods act with the damage occurring in the first week, although the Garage could claim negligence on your part for not checking the dipstick.

Secondly, NEVER fill the engine with oil thicker than 5W, the advice re 15W was awful, this will only increase wear every time you start the engine as it takes longer to circulate and protect. The viscosity the Garage should have recommended short term, was the more expensive, 5W40.

Thirdly, you have a choice between an engine rebuild or a replacement engine. If you choose the rebuild option with a crankshaft re-grind and new bearings, unless the pistons are replaced with the later type from the face lift, the engine will continue to burn oil. Possibly better in the long term is to source a engine from a face lift Gen 7 (Autumn 2002 on) with the revised pistons already OE, as long as you DO NOT buy a reconditioned unit. These are almost always built to a poor standard and are to avoided.

Another factor to take into account is your cars value, if it's high mileage, it may not be viable to spend circa £1K on it, as it will only be worth slightly more than that when a face lift engine has been found and installed.

Tough choices I know, but someone has to give you the bad news. Please keep us aware of developments.

Thanks for your reply Scarlett Arrow.

Well i believe im just keep using it till definitely dies.

It isnt worth the fix since the car wasent that expensive.

Im just gonna have an eye at oil level and see how it goes.

Also i drive it today and somehow those bearings noises didnt came up,

only the loud engine noise was present.

I let u guys know in a week how the car is.

Thanks one more time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

Already found out one of the probs that i had.

Thought the engine was making the high noise but wasent from the engine at all.

Wheel Bearings was the problem.

About the oil issue i alrdy had to fill up again, 2 days ago.

And i drove about 600 / 700 miles after the service.

That knocking sound from engine still there when im maintening a certain speed like 5th gear 60mph / or between 2000 / 3000 rpm whatever gear u in.

Sound still the same since my last post not worst or w/e.

Hope i can hear from you guys thanks alot

PS. ill prolly try to make a video of it while driving to see if u guys can catch up the noise but gonna be hard since my boot shelf or something down there its making a squeaky noise too.

The Pre-Facelifts all have the potential to get the Death Rattle, it in the end will end up being terminal.

Top up the Oil EVERY time you put fuel in. By running it low on oil you're accelerating the wear. Unfortunately it has a death sentence.

The good news is, (assuming you bought it for a good price, and you have space) you can break it for spares and get a lot of money back.

• 1 month later...

all that being said, i paid £1650 for my 51 vvt-i and had the "death rattle" within a month as i was also new to the celicas oil burning issues, i bought a second hand engine from eBay with a 3 month warrenty for £500 and an engine hoist with leveler for £170

took me about a month to complete myself as i am not a trained mechanic.

sold the old engine for £300 to the place a bought the new one, sold the engine hoist and leveler for £100

so all in all my mint condition 51 plate vvt-i cost me just over £2,000 with all the replaced liquids.

just food for thought.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links