Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D T3 Egr Valve

xantiaman1

hi all

my partner has a corolla 2.0 d4d t3 on a 54 plate with 60,000 on the clock which is displaying all the symptoms described in a post by Rick d4d on this forum in which he adds photos on how to remove and clean the egr valve but on my engine i have nothing where he shows the egr valve to be.i am desperate to clean this valve to see if i can solve the cars problem.can some one tell me where the egr valve is on the 2.0 engine please.

don't be desperate to clean the egr, it's not the holy grail of those symptoms. fill up with Shell v-power, put in some forte diesel system treatment and go for a long motorway drive. keep the engine rpms up by either breaking the speed limit or driving in 4th gear. also change fuel filter with a genuine toyota one.

thanks for the reply,its interesting.in august we took the car to scotland,a journey of about 400 miles each way,which i may add we travelled at or above the speed limit most of the 7 hour journey and we noticed that while we where there performance improved and on our return the car behaved perfectly untill a few days ago when the loss of power/jerking appeared again,so i can only presume the long distance at high speed on the motorway cleaned out something.i will also add the car is used for mainly short journeys.apart from eBay, which i loath to use,where can i get forte? do major motor factors stock it? thanks again for the reply.

don't be desperate to clean the egr, it's not the holy grail of those symptoms. fill up with shell v-power, put in some forte diesel system treatment and go for a long motorway drive. keep the engine rpms up by either breaking the speed limit or driving in 4th gear. also change fuel filter with a genuine toyota one.

V-Power derv with some Forte is a good idea. But its not the best idea to break the speed limit! You can get the same results if you drive in a lower gear and keep the engine rev's high :thumbsup:

any decent local motor factors will sell you a bottle of forte for around £13/14.

may i add that changing the fuel filter EARLIER than the toyota service schedule is imperative, especially on a car doing mainly short journeys. on short journeys when the engine is cold a higher proportion of fuel undergoes incomplete combustion forming a higher proportion of soot (result of incomplete combustion) and this builds up internally within the engine, in the turbo etc. what the motorway run does is clears this by physically blowing it out of the exhaust with air pressure (the reason for keeping revs high) and secondly the higher amount of heat in the engine burns some of the soot up too but this is a slower method of clearing the engine (hence why i said motorway journey rather than trip to the shops).

i'll reiterate the important of doing this on a new fuel filter though. copy/pattern filters are crap and if you perform the above with a dirty fuel filter it will help but you'll waste your effort since the next time you go for a mooch down the shops, all the cr*p in the fuel filter will come into the engine again.

diesel engines do not like being used for 100% short journeys, they spiral into soot-hell lol. even if it's once a month just go for a blast on the motorway, put some tunes on and enjoy yourself.

afterwards your engine will feel more "nimble" and alive, it will feel like it is happy to rev and go, whereas beforehand it probably feels lazy and acceleration is numb.

i say this all the time but supermarket and/or cheap fuels (i class texaco, gulf, jet etc as cheap) are not good for your car either. stick to using Shell or bp diesel. for the purposes of this "treatment" use Shell v-power or bp ultimate, however after this you can happily switch back to normal bp or Shell fuel. i prefer shell but i think to be honest the 2.0d4d is happiest on bp's jungle juice.

I've used Forte diesel treatments quite a lot in the past, well I've virtually used them all tbh and the only one I can say that does do what it says on the bottle is from our American cousins called BG244 from powerenhancers. As long as people dont use anything with PTFE (Some Slick 50 products) then all is well in the World. :thumbsup:

I've used Forte diesel treatments quite a lot in the past, well I've virtually used them all tbh and the only one I can say that does do what it says on the bottle is from our American cousins called BG244 from powerenhancers. As long as people dont use anything with PTFE (Some Slick 50 products) then all is well in the World. :thumbsup:

quite possibly could be the case. i mean i've always used forte once a year and the one tank redex treatment every sort of 5,000 miles with oil changes. it could be that none of these products work very well and the long hard motorway drive could be the reason the cars feel better however i could say the exact same thing you have about forte... :)

quite possibly could be the case. i mean i've always used forte once a year and the one tank redex treatment every sort of 5,000 miles with oil changes. it could be that none of these products work very well and the long hard motorway drive could be the reason the cars feel better however i could say the exact same thing you have about forte... :)

Any oil burners with an EGR valve needs to have a Italian tune up from time to time to blow out all the sh@t out of the cylinders. Wish the EGR was never invented as its killing diesels! Glad my VW is pre valve tbh :thumbsup:

EGR is a bit silly but then they are there for a reason? and since i don't know the consequences of removing the valve and getting it coded out of the ECU (not possible with toyota but is with VAG engines) i can't comment on whether EGR removal is a good thing.

This should help 2003 Avensis 2.0 D4D EGR clean :thumbsup:

The EGR valve the reduces NOX, its not actually needed except to achieve emissions rules. If you block it off the car will probably be ok, except for the engine management warning light will be on.

Cleaning the EGR should be attempted 1st as it could be the issue and its really a maintenance item, if they get blocked the carbon can end up scoring the pistons.

The vehicle though could have an injector issue or similiarly more serious developing and cleaning the EGR will not fix this.

thats what i wanted to see,i now know exactly where the egr valve is and this weekend myself and a can of carb cleaner will do battle,maybe the fuel filter may get changed as well.thanks again.

myself and a can of carb cleaner will do battle

Lol, i like the way you put that! :D

oh and do change the fuel filter if you are able to, will deffo make a big difference

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links