Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cabin Pollen Filter - Soaking Wet

jimbobsteele

Hi there

My recently acquired 2008 2.2 150 Tourer has 55k on the clock.

It gets a lot of condensation. So following lots of advice on the forum, I checked out the pollen filter. Looks like it has been changed at some point, because it's not a standard Toyota part.

Anyway, it was soaking wet, dirty grey, and full of bits. Cleaned it best I could, dried it out, and put it back in. Had a new one ordered, just waiting for it to arrive.

New one arrived today, so took the old out. It was soaking wet again.

Is it usual for this to be wet? Part of the normal use cycle? Or should I be looking for a leak somewhere?

Thanks - Jimbob

This is a common problem on the Golf I believe & is usually down to 2 things - the replacement filter not seating correctly & a leak from behind the bulkhead. It could be a blocked drainage hole that is causing a diversion to the pollen filter housing, so I'd start there. I know you have an Avensis, but the theory could well be the same !

Check over the scuttle drains - these are the small holes at the very bottom left & right of the windscreen? Didn't seem blocked, but stuck a flexible wire down them anyway. Water does run away through the holes now. And, found many sycamore seeds in & around the vent cowls.

Re-checked the cabin pollen filter. Dry at present, but also, with the new super blower strength, it was full of sycamore seeds too.

I'll check again after the next rain shower...

Update:

Decided to investigate further. Took off the plastic cowl at the bottom of the windscreen, to inspect the gulley underneath.

When removed, you can see through the bulkhead, directly into the cabin pollen filter!

So I guess the blower just sucks air through the cowl, through the bulkhead, into the car interior.

Anyway - this windscreen is not original. Between the plastic cowl and the glass is a rubber foam strip. This was in pieces, heavily degraded. My assumption is, therefore, that water dripping off the windscreen was getting between the glass and the cowl. Thus, it had a much more direct route into the blower.

Anyone know if this rubber foam strip is essential? And where I can get one?

Thanks - Jimbob

• 2 weeks later...

So... took off cowl. The strip of foam between the cowl and windscreen had disintegrated. Loads of wet mucky stuff hanging off the bottom of the windscreen glass. And, the foam strip may have been acting like a "wick", drawing water down into the bulkhead.

And, the rubber seal just above the cowl was not present. Presumably, the person who replaced the windscreen failed to replace it when new glass was fitted.

Mr T does not sell the foam strip or rubber seal. Only, if you buy the entire cowl, which is £165.

So, I fixed the cowl to the windscreen with transparent silicon sealant.

No further water ingress so far. Will report after next heavy rainfall.

Cheers - Jimbob

Nice one mate! Glad that you've managed to sort it out!...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links