Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem After Some Warranty Work

Claymore

Guys, can I ask for your assistance please?

I have a 56 plate 2.2 D4D with 60k miles.

It recently went to the dealer that I bought it from to have a crankshaft oil seal replaced, but something else seems to have happened during that work.

Before it went in the trip computer on our regular driving was reading around 44mpg (brim to brim testing was working out at 41mpg). N

Sorry.. Damn iPhone.

Since the car came back it's now reading 38mpg and brim to brim testing is working out at 36mpg.

I sent the car back and they checked everything out and found another oil leak on the turbo oil return pipe. They checked all the other hoses and air filter etc (I should have added earlier that I got them to do a minor service when they had the car in). Again they claim that they can't find anything wrong and that the work that they did shouldn't have done anything that would impact on mpg figures.

I know that at this time of year with cold weather etc that mpg will drop, but it was so obvious that when the car went in it was ok and when it came back it wasn't.

Can anybody think of anything that might be wrong or possibly give me a list of things to check??

All suggestions welcome..

I honestly wouldn't waste another minute with that. Firstly the trip computer mileage is only an irratic guide and if you zero it like you should once a month you will get different readings again. If they have left it idling for an hour to make absolutely shure that there is no oil leak (standard practice after replacing the seal) then that hour of using fuel and going nowhere has subtracted from the average that you had before it went in.

You seem OK with the fact they are ALL using more fuel in this colder weather and during the warmer weather they will get better.

The logic on the post 2009 models seems to have changed and the trip computers are more consistent but on your model is is only a very rough guide and if you are brim to brim filling, get your calculator out.

Could they have done any ECU updates/ flashes and forgot to tell you/not marked on paperwork? Happened on my previous AVENSIS and dropped by 4mpg on trip computer....I ignored it. I would say you are suffering from winter variations in consumption,Donald.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Thanks guys..

I probably have a touch of OCD when it comes to watching consumption (might be related to the cost of fuel).

Trip computer is reset every fill and then manually calculated just around every third tank.

Work was carried out around 6 weeks ago and whilst it does coincide with winter time really kicking in, it's strange that the vehicle went in one way and came out another.

No ECU work done (already checked), asked how long Battery was disconnected etc to see if the ECU even completely reset itself (just on the off-chance that it might have had some impact). On the surface everything looks fine..

It's actually my wife's car and it does the same journeys every day, every week.

Have had the car since May..

Our temperatures in NI whilst lower than September/October aren't that bad.

We have only had a few days where it has been sub 8'C.

Car is garaged overnight etc..

My own car is a 520d and I have noticed the MPG drop a bit on it as well, but only by 1mpg to 2mpg, the significant change in the RAV mpg is what concerned me the most.

I know there have been numerous posts over the last few months by other owners doing a bit of sense checking on what mpg's are being returned.

I believe in the old accurate brim-brim and calculator method, regardless of computers and sales brochures..

Even on long journeys at the moment at a steady 60-65mph, we are getting 38 to 39mpg at best.. and in around town 30 to 31mpg

Does this seem normal??

I'm probably paranoid, but I know so many people locally that "claim" to be getting 44 to 45mpg at the minute on similar journeys to us that it's a bit worrying..

I have a fuel account and this month for the first time, the RAV usage was way above my 520d.

This all came about because I noticed the heavy oil consumption and I sent it in for compression/EGR testing.

That's when the oil leak was detected..

Thanks guys..

I probably have a touch of OCD when it comes to watching consumption (might be related to the cost of fuel).

Trip computer is reset every fill and then manually calculated just around every third tank.

Work was carried out around 6 weeks ago and whilst it does coincide with winter time really kicking in, it's strange that the vehicle went in one way and came out another.

No ECU work done (already checked), asked how long battery was disconnected etc to see if the ECU even completely reset itself (just on the off-chance that it might have had some impact). On the surface everything looks fine..

It's actually my wife's car and it does the same journeys every day, every week.

My own car is a 520d and I have noticed the MPG drop a bit on it as well, but only by 1mpg to 2mpg, the significant change in the RAV mpg is what concerned me the most.

I know there have been numerous posts over the last few months by other owners doing a bit of sense checking on what mpg's are being returned.

I believe in the old accurate brim-brim and calculator method, regardless of computers and sales brochures..

Even on long journeys at the moment at a steady 60-65mph, we are getting 38 to 39mpg at best.. and in around town 30 to 31mpg

Does this seem normal??

I'm probably paranoid, but I know so many people locally that "claim" to be getting 44 to 45mpg at the minute on similar journeys to us that it's a bit worrying..

I have a fuel account and this month for the first time, the RAV usage was way above my 520d.

This all came about because I noticed the heavy oil consumption and I sent it in for compression/EGR testing.

Any signs of coolant leaking/spraying out of the expansion tank?

Thanks guys..

No ECU work done (already checked), asked how long battery was disconnected etc to see if the ECU even completely reset itself (just on the off-chance that it might have had some impact). On the surface everything looks fine..

Does this seem normal??

Any signs of coolant leaking/spraying out of the expansion tank?

Even I can see where Davrav is going with that question.....are you sure it was a LEAK that made the oil go away....? Did you actually see it? Were you shown it voluntarily? Is somebody trying to win Brownie Points at Toyota UK by avoiding a much more expensive warranty claim....?

Big Kev :unsure:

Haven't seen any sign of coolant leak, but I'll check this evening..

Yes, I was brought out to the workshop and shown where the oil had been running onto the drip tray and actually all further back under the car onto chassis legs etc..

Background info.. Car was not bought from a main dealer. It actually came through a Mitsubishi dealer with a 1 year warranty.

I left it to the local Toyota guys for obvious reasons to get the compression/EGR testing done.

They were the ones that found the leak and kindly charged me £52 for the privilege.

My warranty company would have been happy for the Toyota guys to do the repair, but they declined because they said they wouldn't be letting the car off the forecourt until they had received payment from said warranty company. My Mitsubishi dealer offered to pay them instead and then they started complaining about the warranty guys only allowing £50 per hour @ 5.5 hrs. So I brought the car to Mitsubishi (who had an experienced ex-Toyota tech).

They ended up doing the work, otherwise I'd have had to Shell out the money to the Toyota guys up front and I just wasn't prepared to do that.

Same dealer offered to drop me in centre of town when the car would be left in, but refused to take me the additional mile on far side of town to my office...

Nor were either garage willing to refund the £52 fault detection charge under any of the warranty work..

Based on my experience, if it now has to go back to get compression/EGR testing done since the leak is fixed, it will be a different dealer doing it..

I've had Audis, Fords, Vauxhalls, BMWs over the years and I'd never met anybody as tight. They are well known for refusing loan cars, but this was a completely new experience..

Sorry.. starting to moan now.. not the subject in hand..

The car has already been back to the guys that carried out the work and they claim to have done extensive testing and no fault codes coming up on diagnostics etc.

Beginning to accept the fact that it's just me and my OCD..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links