Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Complete Is The Servicing Schedule?

Druid Boy

So, I completed the 80k service on my 2.2D4D Avensis today as per the schedule in the Toyota Service & Warranty book. All went well but I cant help wondering if there are periodic tasks that are not listed. For example, valve clearances are listed for an audible check for petrol, 1.4 & 2.0 D4D engines but nothing is listed for the 2.2 D4D. Does anyone know of a full schedule or is it a case of following the service book & apply common sense?

I think its a case its of following the service book & apply common sense! I always change the fuel/air filter well b4 what Mr T suggests. But thats just me :thumbsup:

Yeah 30k seems like a lot to ask of an air filter doesn't it? On the other hand I have never changed a fuel filter in my life. Bought one once, but sold the car before I got round to fitting it....

Also, as it was so straightforward, I did start wondering 'why the heck have I been paying Toyota to do this all these years?'. Yes, the service book looks pretty but I don't intend to sell the car on.

Also, as it was so straightforward, I did start wondering 'why the heck have I been paying Toyota to do this all these years?'. Yes, the service book looks pretty but I don't intend to sell the car on.

warranty work (e.g. the head gasket problem on the D4Ds ) requires proof of servicing to standard (which usually means by a VAT registered garage)

warranty work (e.g. the head gasket problem on the D4Ds ) requires proof of servicing to standard (which usually means by a VAT registered garage)

Ormi posted a while ago that at his place of work that they have carried the extended warranty work on the head gasket issue engines where the car did not have a full serving history.i imagine that Toyota have to approve this type of work being carried out, so a full service history is not a requirment.but the Gasket problem is a special issue, so normal criteria does not apply.

Difficult to see anything on the servicing schedule that would lead to the head going. If the head does go and they try to deny the extended warranty on the basis that I changed my oil without their help there will be blood on the moon.

I change my gearbox oil every 50-60k on a manuel box and sooner on an auto. Really easy to do and doesn't cost the Earth :thumbsup:

Yeh, gearbox oil is an interesting one. For example, I've never seen it recommended for a change but loads of people do. The trucks we run in work (MAN HX & SX) have gearbox oil in for life. I reckon oil has advanced so much since I was a boy that it doesn't need changed. Mechanics I chat to often refer to overservicing but hey, you pays your money and takes your chance. There doesn't seem to be a body of evidence to prove or disprove theories either way.

Lots of manufacturers have this "Seaked for life" crap with there gearboxes! I dont believe it for a min as they know the box will prob last whilst its in warranty period. But I think that it should be changed every 50-60k. It costs what... £30 for oil like Silkolen Pro (75w) SRG double ester (Top of the range) which could save you ££££££ in repair bills in the future and its so easy to change my 12 year old daughter could do it! :eat:

Lots of manufacturers have this "Seaked for life" crap with there gearboxes! I dont believe it for a min as they know the box will prob last whilst its in warranty period. But I think that it should be changed every 50-60k. It costs what... £30 for oil like Silkolen Pro (75w) SRG double ester (Top of the range) which could save you ££££££ in repair bills in the future and its so easy to change my 12 year old daughter could do it! :eat:

Couldn't agree more gear box oil gets full of ground up metal particles and needs replacing or it will definitely reduce the service life of the gearbox! I have a similar loathing for long life service intervals of 20,000 miles (for engine oil) - seems attractive to keep the cost down but madness considering the cost of oil

Couldn't agree more gear box oil gets full of ground up metal particles and needs replacing or it will definitely reduce the service life of the gearbox! I have a similar loathing for long life service intervals of 20,000 miles (for engine oil) - seems attractive to keep the cost down but madness considering the cost of oil

To true about the oil changes mate, especially on oil burners with the acidic fuel. My Polo had 30k long life service intervals which is totally MAD! I changed that oil every 8-10k and she's still running sweet today with over 210k on the clock. Its just trying to keep the cost of ownership down but to your cost later on (And the next owner) when it goes wrong. Why do dealers charge SO much for an oil and filter change when I can do it myself for pennies? and it costs them even less!!!... After all these things take about 10 mins to do but they charge £150+ :death::giljotiini:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links