Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001 2.0 D4D Belts

gaml d4d

Got a 2001 Avensis estate 2.0 d4d. it has 2 belts on left (as looking from front of car) of engine. One at the bottom is obviously a typical fan belt, the other is much wider with grooves running lengthwise, is this the cambelt?, I thought the cambelt was hidden under an engine cover, or am I just wrong/stupid?

The bigger belt has started to squeak as if it is getting old and starting to go hard, feels fine to touch though.

Maintenance book shows cambelt changed 60,000 miles ago

Thanks for your help

Got a 2001 Avensis estate 2.0 d4d. it has 2 belts on left (as looking from front of car) of engine. One at the bottom is obviously a typical fan belt, the other is much wider with grooves running lengthwise, is this the cambelt?, I thought the cambelt was hidden under an engine cover, or am I just wrong/stupid? The bigger belt has started to squeak as if it is getting old and starting to go hard, feels fine to touch though. Maintenance book shows cambelt changed 60,000 miles ago Thanks for your help

Would think that was the cambelt and also think it due for a change. ;)

you both now have bust engines....

one of the belts does p/s the other does a/c and alternator

the timing belt is behind the covers on the side of the engine

you both now have bust engines.... one of the belts does p/s the other does a/c and alternator the timing belt is behind the covers on the side of the engine

Haway ormi was I partly right and it needs changing ? :huh:

cam belts *have* to be toothed (a bit like a chain) as they need to engage with toothed sprockets to ensure that the relative rotational position of crankshaft and camshaft does not change.

The grooved belts allow slipping (hence the squeal you van get) and are used for ancillaries like aircon, alternator, waterpump, power steering and even fans (way back) depending on the car.

thanks for your help - took the top cover off and you are right, it runs the power steering. I was just supprised how big a belt it was , suppose ther power steering pump is along way from the crank shaft.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links