Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Number Two On Tuesday....

CharlieFarlie

I would have thought they would have got these engine problems sorted by now. I owned a corolla 1.6 bought brand new in 2002 that had 2 short engines in the 4 yrs we owned it

We were considering buying a Verso 2.2D but kind of makes you think again

I dont think that I would go for the 2AD engine if I were you!!!... Go get an VAG group car or something else rather than these 2.2 fragile lumps... I will be giving my car a good run on the weekend followed by a chemical sniff test again to see if there are any signs of a problem... :nerd::g::chinese:

I think you may be ok mate with that oil you've chosen, stay away from the A1/B1 and A5/B5 specs. These are tree saving rat p!ss oils :D

But not to sure yet what C2 C3 spec actually contains yet....

I would have thought they would have got these engine problems sorted by now. I owned a corolla 1.6 bought brand new in 2002 that had 2 short engines in the 4 yrs we owned it

We were considering buying a Verso 2.2D but kind of makes you think again

I dont think that I would go for the 2AD engine if I were you!!!... Go get an VAG group car or something else rather than these 2.2 fragile lumps... I will be giving my car a good run on the weekend followed by a chemical sniff test again to see if there are any signs of a problem... :nerd::g::chinese:

I think you may be ok mate with that oil you've chosen, stay away from the A1/B1 and A5/B5 specs. These are tree saving rat p!ss oils :D

But not to sure yet what C2 C3 spec actually contains yet....

I've only ever used the Mobil ESP oils so I'm hoping that all will be okay mate! :fear: I'm still trying to find out whats in the C2 spec oils. :bookworm: My owners manuel says that a C2 spec has to be used for the D-CAT system so I've stuck with that even thought it does say that if this spec can not be found then other (B1 ect afair) can be used... Might pop out to car and have another read of the book in a min... :thumbsup:

I think the C ratings will be low saps oils with some sort of added antiwear ingredients, which so far I cannot find. A tree friendly replacement for the sulpher and phosphate that's taken out of the A1/B1 and A5/B5 spec oils.

You can use these lesser oils but at the detriment of you engine.....this is the way I see it at the moment.

Did you use this ESP C2 oil in the engine that got replaced?

I think the C ratings will be low saps oils with some sort of added antiwear ingredients, which so far I cannot find. A tree friendly replacement for the sulpher and phosphate that's taken out of the A1/B1 and A5/B5 spec oils.

You can use these lesser oils but at the detriment of you engine.....this is the way I see it at the moment.

Did you use this ESP C2 oil in the engine that got replaced?

When the engine was replaced (For the 2nd time) I did 1000 miles on the oil that the dealership used (They told me it was a full synth) and then I dropped it for Mobil 1 ESP. I've done 2 oil changes in almost 10k. Normally I'd drop the oil once every 10k with an oil burner due to the high acidity of the fuel, but as I didn't want any problems with these chain driven lumps I changed the oil every 5,000 miles. My VW Polo TDi has a 30k drain interval!!! which is just asking for trouble on the so called "Longlife oils"... But every 6-10k that gets dropped for either Castrol EDGE (5w-30) or now Motul 300V double ester racing oil.

The problem with the C2 spec oils (As I see it) like ESP (And other oils like EDGE which is not C2) is the low TBN number! It has to be a low ash content for the D-CAT system but you can lose the protective qualities of other oils like Motul or Gulf comp that has almost twice the TBN numbers and a very good viscosity index... Wish I could get rid of the D-CAT and fool the Denso in thinking it was still there!...

Yeah I drop mine every 5k especially in a derv burner!

That's they way I'm thinking too, these newer oils some are just rubbish.

The 2AD engine is high preformace in my opinion and needs a high performance oil, extra loads, heat, etc. In a lower speced engine it may not matter as much.

I agree mate... I dont believe that some of the oils have all the additive packages that they should have to prevent engine wear! My thinking is these oils are getting some of the protetive qualities removed (in some cases) in order to comply with more stringent controls for D-CAT's ect!... We never had these kinds of problems with oils like Millers XFD which had a mass of additives to protect the cams and cranks ect... :yes:

The problem is that every engine does burn some oil at some point! even if its next to nothing! For a car that does use more oil than another this could cause the D-CAT to bugger up because oils do have some ash content in them. The oils like ESP and others have a low content compaired to the "Normal" lubes, so if you have an engine that is using 1L every 1000miles(Or more in some cases) then it wont be long before the D-CAT starts to do a runner and so does your wallet! :blowup:

Why does every debate turn into another oil thread ??

Sorry Guys I'm not trying to sound clever (Tim I think You know that's not My way) but all these assumptions on oil are just that.. Assumptions... When I speak to really knowledgeable people about this Oil thing they laugh at what I tell them is posted here..

Me I know very little but lets be clear about one factor. Toyota would not be changing engines if a change of oil would do !!

Nor would they be replacing engines that had been run on unsuitable oil..

Jedi Mate please do Me a favour and change the !Removed! record.......

So whats the latest from the dealership side, surely by now they must have an idea as to what is wrong?

Any new info?

Why does every debate turn into another oil thread ??

Sorry Guys I'm not trying to sound clever (Tim I think You know that's not My way) but all these assumptions on oil are just that.. Assumptions... When I speak to really knowledgeable people about this Oil thing they laugh at what I tell them is posted here..

Me I know very little but lets be clear about one factor. Toyota would not be changing engines if a change of oil would do !!

Nor would they be replacing engines that had been run on unsuitable oil..

Jedi Mate please do Me a favour and change the !Removed! record.......

Charlie, do what I have done .... Forget about an ENGINE Oil Filter, fit a JEDI Oil Filter. Then about 95% of the posts about oil will disappear and TOC will become bearable again :thumbsup:

Eh up Charlie...

Now I know thats not what your about my mate!... I'm just very keen to know (Like alot of others following these threads) what the hell happened to your motor as I'm sure you are to. But bottom line is Toyota will sort it out and hopefully that'll be the end of your engine problems. But I'm guessing that after this now that the RAV will be no more in your favor and it will be sold!/... I cant say I blame you as I've thought so many times on doing the same thing me self!... I just cant afford to take the hit on the price I paid to what I'll get now!... But if I did have that opportunity I'd be back to a VAG group car like !Removed! out of a goose...

I hope your new engine is a complete success Charlie. Good to know that Toyota are prepared to put things right and well done to the dealer too .

I am looking forward to another drive in my wife's RAV tomorrow - very secure feeling in all this bad weather.

David

Jedi. My car goes in on Monday so I will know no more till then. As the Dealer swaps not strips the engine its unlikely they will be able to tell Me what has gone wrong...

The car itself is fantastic aside from a few squeaks and rattles and I will be very sorry to see it go and that's a fact. It has gone in places this last week where the Jag would simply have failed to go as the XF is utterly woefull in wet or slippery condition's. Sure footed ?? Ohhhh Yes.

Life is very complicated at the moment. Coincidently two of My longest and closest lifelong Friends are terminal with cancer.. I have never been so stressed and upset in My life. I will be up and down the road from Scotland to the Midlands every week now for however long this goes on so need a car with a little less hassle..................

Hi Charlie, sorry to hear that 2 of your close friends having cancer, its very hard. 2 of my cousins have been affected by cancer recently, one was only 30, she is better for now though there is the chance that it can come back at any time. My other cousin only found out about her cancer a few weeks ago so we don't know how she'll get on. Its so scary.

Hope this new engine works out for your Rav. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that Charlie, I too have lost close friends an relatives, due to cancer, my farther included......my mother has just been diagnosed with breast cancer,.........its not a nice thing......but you have to try and look on the bright side.....It's hard but you'll get throught it....life is short so make the best of it while you can :D

Buy a Disco and put some proper oil into it

:D

Sorry to hear that Charlie, I too have lost close friends an relatives, due to cancer, my farther included......my mother has just been diagnosed with breast cancer,.........its not a nice thing......but you have to try and look on the bright side.....It's hard but you'll get throught it....life is short so make the best of it while you can :D

Buy a Disco and put some proper oil into it

:D

Bright side ? You are joking right ? Both Friends have literally months or weeks to live.... Yes of course I will get through it because I have to and of course will. You are right life is or surely can be very short..

The joke about the oil is just a step to far but then I seem to have a sense of humour failure reading so many boring posts about effing oil ...

No worries mate, I can see people are getting hacked off, so will back off on the old 2AD.....

But I would still like to know what the root cause is?

Image if you were not under warranty with your troubles

Take care dude :D

No worries mate, I can see people are getting hacked off, so will back off on the old 2AD.....

But I would still like to know what the root cause is?

Image if you were not under warranty with your troubles

Take care dude :D

The route cause has to lie with the pistons and rings and it seems that the modified parts are perhaps still not sorted..

Your right about copping for one out of warranty but the 2AD engines are still in warranty for at least one more Year and that's the oldest ones. My one has 18 months to go before that 7 Year warranty expires.. This is another reason for dropping the car ASAP despite it having a new engine fitted next Tuesday...

Prices for PX have plummeted over the last few months as news of these engines woes is spreading.....

Anyone considering buying should think long and hard. Anyone thinking of selling should do so while there is still a lump of warranty remaining...................

Charlie, I've only just spotted this thread and can't believe your bad luck.

I'm sure the car will be fixed soon enough and you can continue to use it while you seek an alternative, and I doubt anyone would blame you. I'm sure I would do exactly the same thing in your position.

As for your close friends, I'm sorry to hear of their poor health. I'm very lucky to be able to say that I have not had to endure the heart ache you are experiencing, and I hope that I never do. I can only offer my sympathy and best wishes.

Your right about copping for one out of warranty but the 2AD engines are still in warranty for at least one more Year and that's the oldest ones. My one has 18 months to go before that 7 Year warranty expires.. This is another reason for dropping the car ASAP despite it having a new engine fitted next Tuesday...

It will be interesting to see what happens on this, i wonder if they will be really tough or flexible. Imagine if a driver takes a 7.5yr old 50k FTSH car and is told the engine needs a change and the invoice is £6500. Or will they just cut the customer off. The remaining RV would be under serious pressure.

It will be interesting to see what happens on this, i wonder if they will be really tough or flexible. Imagine if a driver takes a 7.5yr old 50k FTSH car and is told the engine needs a change and the invoice is £6500. Or will they just cut the customer off. The remaining RV would be under serious pressure.

7 Years IMO is very generous and I would say there has to be a cut off point just like any warranty ?? Yes it would be a hard pill to swallow but seven Years is pretty good ...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links