Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cat Out Of The Bag ?

CharlieFarlie

I have spoken to three separate Dealers in the last week or so about cars and trading in a Rav 2.2 Diesel... All inform Me that the cars with the 2.2 Diesel engine has become very undesirable due to the engines being fragile... This was without any hints from Me . It seems the cat is out of the bag and the car is now regarded as the black plague in the motor trade... This also applies to all cars fitted with the seemingly now very undesirable 2.2 litre diesel engines AND the 2.0 from the older cars as as usual $hit sticks and many cannot differentiate between the 4.2 with its 2.0 engine and the 4.3 with its 2.2 litre lump .........................................

I bought My car very very cheaply but even taking this into consideration the figures I have been offered in PX for My top of the range fully loaded 54,000 mile MINT car is truly shocking !!!

On the thread asking if seeing the cars rapidly deteriorating reputation would put You off buying ??? I truly hope so !! Whilst those of Us that own the cars will be lumbered it may prevent others from falling for a 2.2 engined car.. I say falling for as the cars on Dealer forecourts seem to be still up for silly money and simply not relative to the very poor PX figures ...

Oh and in case You are wondering one of those Dealers was a Toyota main Dealer ............

Well i was reading this month's Glass's guide today and the figures are still silly money. More likely the dealers dont want to buy at silly winter prices but they will happily sell at silly retail money.

Lots of other brands have issues and it doesnt effect them, look at LR and the junk they used to sell. VAG all the fuel pump issues on 2.0 TDI' not forgetting DPF's etc etc. Earlier 320d/520d engines expiring early, the 6cyl petrols that wore the pistons out they havent stopped selling. Alfa still sell cars! etc etc

No manufacturer is perfect, some people just love a drama whether its cars or panic buying food because a snow flake fell out of the sky. Thats not aimed at you Charlie.

It was inevitable and totally unavoidable as word got around.

I say falling for as the cars on Dealer forecourts seem to be still up for silly money and simply not relative to the very poor PX figures ...

Oh and in case You are wondering one of those Dealers was a Toyota main Dealer ............

Nevertheless it would be interesting to know whether the TGB dealers would refuse to retail such a RAV with the dealer warranty. I can't see how they would explain that nor could I see them flogging it throug hthe trade in order to avoid the issue.

I say falling for as the cars on Dealer forecourts seem to be still up for silly money and simply not relative to the very poor PX figures ...

Nevertheless it would be interesting to know whether the TGB dealers would refuse to retail such a RAV with the dealer warranty. I can't see how they would explain that nor could I see them flogging it throug hthe trade in order to avoid the issue.

A Toyota Dealer will retail a 2006 Rav but try trading one in.. Despite the warranty the cars are now de valued as they obviously head towards that all important expiry date of seven Years...

My car has about 18 months engine warranty left to run and trust Me the trade just simply do not want it. So even with a solid warranty it will be worth less to them as there is a risk...

Imagine trying to trade in in say 12 months time ??...

A Toyota Dealer of course will not voice why the values are suddenly so low unless prompted.. An Audi Dealer of course has less restraints !!

Anyone doubting the values ?? Just try and trade one in then come back and tell Us ?? ...

Its a real shame that such a great all round car is spoiled by a flawed engine. Its also a shame that Anyone owning one will catch a cold come trade in time.. Honestly the difference between the prices these cars are advertised for and the trade in values is massive almost 50%

Could also be a contributory factor that we had a milder winter than expected an they have stock of 4x4 that they didn't shift.

I still believe 4x4's are overvalued in general and dealers wont want to enter spring with overvalued stock, the engine fragility is a good excuse to nick it for a lower price. Especially if the dealer was speaking to the uneducated.

Out of interest Charlie to you agree you know about the 2AD or act suprised?

Could also be a contributory factor that we had a milder winter than expected an they have stock of 4x4 that they didn't shift.

Very likely.. A dealer whether a franchise of the make You are selling will always come up with some crap or other in order to convince Us that the low price they are offering is justified..

Yes the mild (So far) winter has not helped but We buy 4x4 capable vehicles for many reasons like towing or in My case towing on slippery surfaces ( Boat slipways) So its not as if these vehicles have no other purpose..

But The Rav is now being hit by its increasing reputation for poor engine reliability and that is a fact !

As the months tick by and the 2006 cars like My one reach the end of the expected warranty the cars will decrease very rapidly in value and that is worth knowing not only for existing owners but those thinking of spending hard earned money on a car that will de value so quickly....

As for the Honda's apparent thirst for oil well so long as it does not affect the DPF then who cares ?? I don't care how many faults other makes have as I don't own one its the value of the car I own that's important..

I also could not recommend a Toyota to anyone !! How could I ?? My car has been trouble from day 1 !!!!

Can I ask if this issue is with earlier engines or does it include the ones in use now. I have a 2011 model

It was the early engines. The one in your 2011 RAV has benefitted from design changes and modifications.

It was the early engines. The one in your 2011 RAV has benefitted from design changes and modifications.

Thank you :yahoo:

The replacement engines also had modifications to the block and pistons and rings and a few other detail changes to bring it up to the latest specification. So I would not bet against the later 150 BHP engines developing problems of a similar nature..

We have a few 150 BHP Owners here on the Forum but I believe these cars have covered very low miles so We will not know for sure if these engines are in the clear until the mileages build.. It seems to Me that the typical mileage for the engines developing faults is 40 to 50 thousand miles and above.

The obvious benefit of a 2011 car is that You still have the balance of the 5 Year warranty...

Admittedly this was March 2011, but guess which suv came highest in a which reliability survey.............

Reliable new 4x4s/SUVs

toyota-rav4-reliable-247037.jpg

Toyota RAV4

Toyota RAV4

Model year: 2006-

Reliability rating: 89%

Toyota is recognised as one of the top carmakers for producing reliable cars. The RAV4 has historically been a model that upheld that reputation, and the latest RAV4 scores an impressive 89% reliability rating. Diesel versions score more impressively for breakdowns and niggles.

Read more: http://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/03/most-reliable-new-and-used-4x4s-and-suvs-247029/#ixzz1m11ZI08s

Consumer Champions Which?

Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial :thumbsup: STEW

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links