Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dmfs & Smfs - What Do You Know?

Tech01

It would be interesting to know a couple of things about the DMF saga . . .

1. What date did this problem go away? In other words, what's the latest D4D RAV manufacturing date that anyone has where the DMF has failed?

2. And, something which has received almost no write-up: Who has had an SMF kit fitted? Which kit? To what vehicle? When? And how has it behaved?

Chris

To the best of my knowledge only the 4.2s up to 2006 were affected, there have not been any issues with the 4.3s (2006 to 2012) so far as i am aware, as always i stand to be corrected,

The DMF vs SMF has been a contentious issue on here, some saying the DMF protects the drivetrain and smooths out the power take up when you engage the clutch, my own personal opinion is that for 40+ yrs we have had SMFs and no problems, then the DMF was developed + EVERY car manufacturer has had problems to a greater or lesser degree, A few on here have fitted SMFs and seem relatively pleased with them, I myself drive a Black cab and opted to replace the DMF with an SMF about 60,000 mls ago and maybe not quite as smooth as the DMF but certainly has not caused me any problems so far..I am sure others will share their opinions and offer a more technical point of view but for me changing to a SMF is fine and usually cheaper :unsure: Stew

Have read the pinned bit on DMFs. :P

Not sure what this means... I have, of course, read the pinned explanatory article - it's very good.

I was interested, though, in a more recent follow-up, and hearing from folk who, like me, have fitted an SMF.

C.

Can't comment, mines on 85k still on origional DMF, but does have a judder when starting off from cold? No idea what this is.....I'll just wait until it doesn't go anymore I surpose :D

Do you suspect yours is on its way out?

Stew's account is as accurate as you can get.

I fitted a Jap made SMF for a mate (not a nice job) and it has been fine - he pulls a caravan.

Others here swear by Blueprint which are readily available.

Did the DMF problem disappear then with the introduction of the 4.3, or did it linger on? Is the 4.3 fitted with a DMF? Of yet another design improvement? If so, and it's reliable, can it be retro-fitted to 4.2s?

Chris

Jedi - My Blueprint SMF is just fine, and was easy to fit.

We've had one changed for sure and one owner with a rumble yet to be confirmed. Some of these motors have done very high mileages now.

They seem to be very reliable.

Just a thought. as said most diesel engine cars have a DMF fitted.

Do large commercial vehicles have DMFs fitted.

considering the miliage and heavy loads these vehicles deal with,i wonder what troubles they have, if any.

You know what it is such a long time since I worked on them that I don't really know. I wouldn't be surprised as they have some very high output engines in the 10 to 14 litre sizes giving out up to 600bhp and huge amounts of torque.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links