Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

X Reg Avensis D4 Vvti Wont Start

Nuub

Hello everybody, I am new to this forum.

My Avensis, after 3 years of service has refused to start. The MIL light is off, but it goes sporadically on. When the MIL is on, the engine will start for approximately 5-10 seconds, then it stalls. I have tried resetting, reading error codes (there arent any). Does anyone recall such symptoms? My car is a 2000 Avensis with 1AZ FSE D4 petrol engine.

Regards, Nino

Sounds like a dodgy ignition switch.or a bad connection on between switch and ecm any dashlights missing wen it wont start?

All other lights are on, even when the ECU light is not on, so I assumed the switch is OK. But thanks for the advice, I will check it in the weekend.

Just check if the efi relay is pulling in when this fault occurs located in the fuse box under the bonnet

Hi, I checked the EFI relay. It is working, as well as the Inj and EFI II relays. I found a death bat near the injector driver ECU. I believe it has chewed on some of the wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: It seems like I found the problem. I was the fuel pressure sensor. With sufficient pressure on the injector rail the sensor was short-circuiting the 5v supply from the ECU. These 5 Volts supply most of the sensors, the throttle motor and apparently some of the internal ECU electronics. While the injector rail was under pressure (right after starting and a while afterwards) the sensor was disabling most of the ECU functions. Does anyone have an idea where I can find a cheap spare (according to toyotaDIY the sensor costs 270 Euro).

I hope this is going to be helpful to someone.

Regards, Nino

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links