Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs Light Comes On Intermittently

ahkiu

my abs warning light has lit up and not gone away several times when i have started my car in the evening/night time.

The strange thing is that this does not happen if i start the car up in the day time,

and in the evening when the abs light is on, and i arrive home from work (25 miles of motorways and b-roads) and switch off and restart the car to check again, the abs light will go off like normal.

This problem has just started in the past weekend. can anyone shed any light on this?

Hi ahkiu

Thats a strange one there mate. It might be worth taking it along to the dealer and let them have a look at it mate. The warning light must be on for a reason. So better safe than sorry my friend.

jerry!!

yes i'm going to give the garage a call tomorrow.

It's happening like clockwork at the moment, and the only reason i can think of why it only comes on at night is perhaps the temperature difference between night and day and after i have driven and warm the brakes up, the next time i restrt the car the abs check is fine.

Thats really weird there mate. It's probably best that you let the garage look at it to be on the safe side :thumbsup:

jerry!!

Sounds like it could be a bad connection. Especially as it is happening when there is more moisture in the air. Best get it checked as mentioned.

Joe

I had the same problem with the brake warning light (same as when the handbrake is on).

Always happened when car was warm kept going on and off eventually was on all the time.

It turned out to be brake fluid level as my pads got worn out more and more the level got lower due to the caliper piston traveling more disatnce even though not by much.

Any how after getting new pads and having the brakes bled the problem no longer occurs.

Hope this helps ????????

Niz

thx for the suggestion nizan, i hope it's not the brakes, i've had the car almost a year now from new, do the pads wear out so quickly?

i got the car back from the dealer before the weekend and they couldn't find anything wrong with it they said. I got the impression they didn't believe me that the lights only came on at night. kept telling me sometimes there's a slight glow to the lights.

this defintely isn't that, so i'm going to take a few pictures of the problem and sak them what they recommend i should do about it.

I had a similar problem on my Civic where the ABS light would go on and off intermittently but one day after weeks of this I braked lightly at a set of traffic lights and the ABS kicked in! Turned out it was a failing ABS sensor on one of the front wheels - got it fixed and everything was fine after that. :yes:

, do the pads wear out so quickly?

i got the car back from the dealer before the weekend and they couldn't find anything wrong with it they said. I got the impression they didn't believe me

1. I go through pads and tyres very quick, because i live in Milton Keyens so its duel carrageway then roundabouterywhere , so im constantly accelerating or braking and front left tyres where out very quick too :angry: in general i think pad wear is good??

2. Toyota didnt belive me when i took it in because one of my auxillery belts were slipping at 7K, they finaly found a problem at the 10K service, I think you taking pictures is a good idea :thumbsup:

Hope you get it sorted

Niz

• 1 year later...
my abs warning light has lit up and not gone away several times when i have started my car in the evening/night time.

The strange thing is that this does not happen if i start the car up in the day time

I don't own a Yaris but I am writing on here on behalf of someone else who does. They own a Yaris (53 plate/Sept 03) and have had it since new and this has started having this problem now. It is on and off randomly, not really related to the time of day. Their ABS light and their hand brake light comes on when the fault occurs. It has been taken to a local garage and they have taken the wheels off, had a good look everywhere but not found anything, they believe it to be a wiring problem.

They have said that the brakes are wearing down but then that is common after it has been driven 35,000 miles in 2 years I expect. My main question is did the other suggestions here work? Is it just the case of new brake pads or disks as I believe the brake level is ok on it so did it go after new ones of these?

I had the same problem with my car but with the air bag light.

I have taken the car in about five times, on the fifth time I asked them to do something more permanent rather than just resetting the ECU.

I got charged 1hrs labour (£59+Vat) and was told that it would take 2hrs to solder the ONE wire back together, which they probably damaged themselves as I didn’t do it.

After paying Mr T the 1hrs labour for looking at it, I got my car back (in bits) I had to put the car back together again myself, I got two screws left and I don’t know where they go

At Mr T's hideout they have posters and leaflet stating that customers will be given a written quote before any work is carried out, I shouldn't really had to worry about that as the car should be covered under warranty.

The next lady had a similar problem, she was also charged for something that she was not told over the phone.

I've got the whole thing recorded. Does anyone know where I stand?

Also 6 months after my car had its service they call me up and told me that my car is due for its 3rd service.

Gold-digger

They own a Yaris (53 plate/Sept 03)

So still under warranty mate? Tell your friends to take it back to Toyota and don't let them take it back until Toyota have fixed it for good! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links