Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 T180 Poor Fuel Economy & Oil Consumption - Again!

Thefonz1218

Hello!

I have read previous threads on this subject, i wanted to clearify somethings- I have a 2007 rav4 t180 which uses oil and only gets 26mpg ever!! I have had it about a year.

Is this mpg and oil consumption right? I was reading a thread about people taking it to the dealer ship for tests under some extended warranty? Is this right? Something about 621miles oil consumption test?

Shall I phone the dealership? I am worried if they take it in they will charge me an arm and a leg! All ready skint from all the fuel it's using!! What shall I say when I call?!

Any help welcomed thank you very much!

Get yourself down to the dealers mate! If you have a problem with either the EGR valve,HG issues or oil usage, it could be covered under the 7 year 112k extended warranty. 26mpg is awful! I get over 40mpg round the houses in my T-180 estate. Take a search on here for the TSB that covers these issues...

• 1 month later...

Hi mate I bought a 2007 carolla verso t180 in dec 2010 with 57000 miles. Love the car don't love the mpg. So I took it to Toyota to talk to them about it and managed to have a word with one of the mechanics. He told me that if I tell them I am having poor oil consumption they would change the engine. Simple as that. So I did. Even though I was having no oil problems. They asked me to do a 500 mile consumption test. They took down the mileage and I went away and came back after 500 miles. I drained a little oil from it prior to going back and they agreed that oil cons was high. So they booked me in and changed the engine free of charged under warantie. With courtesy car for the duration. The new engine is exactly the same as the first one. Baring in mind I had no oil issues. The mpg is the same and if anything it feels less powerful. So for me other than having a recon engine in with less miles than my original engine it was a waste of time. However for you with genuine oil consumption issues it may well make you feel better knowing that this high oil consumption problem is well known to Toyota. So much so that they will give you a new engine. What's the mileage on your engine.

And that kind of behaviour my friend is why Toyota appear to be tightening up their warranty policy. Good on yer Bud. You got what you deserve. What a plum.

I just hope some poor beggar with a genuine issue doesn't lose out on a replacement because of idiots like you.

Hi mate I bought a 2007 carolla verso t180 in dec 2010 with 57000 miles. Love the car don't love the mpg. So I took it to Toyota to talk to them about it and managed to have a word with one of the mechanics. He told me that if I tell them I am having poor oil consumption they would change the engine. Simple as that. So I did. Even though I was having no oil problems. They asked me to do a 500 mile consumption test. They took down the mileage and I went away and came back after 500 miles. I drained a little oil from it prior to going back and they agreed that oil cons was high. So they booked me in and changed the engine free of charged under warantie. With courtesy car for the duration. The new engine is exactly the same as the first one. Baring in mind I had no oil issues. The mpg is the same and if anything it feels less powerful. So for me other than having a recon engine in with less miles than my original engine it was a waste of time. However for you with genuine oil consumption issues it may well make you feel better knowing that this high oil consumption problem is well known to Toyota. So much so that they will give you a new engine. What's the mileage on your engine.

Oh pat yourself on the F***ING back mate.....you conned Toyota into giving you a new engine gratis and a loan of a car whilst they did the job (POSSIBLY LONG TERM AT THE EXPENSE OF SOMEBODY WHO REALLY NEEDS IT DONE, BUT THEY PULL THE PLUG THANKS TO FOLK LIKE YOU...), and you are still not happy.

The mind totally boggles.....

Big Kev

Oh pat yourself on the F***ING back mate.....you conned Toyota into giving you a new engine gratis and a loan of a car whilst they did the job (POSSIBLY LONG TERM AT THE EXPENSE OF SOMEBODY WHO REALLY NEEDS IT DONE, BUT THEY PULL THE PLUG THANKS TO FOLK LIKE YOU...), and you are still not happy.

The mind totally boggles.....

Big Kev

And that kind of behaviour my friend is why Toyota appear to be tightening up their warranty policy. Good on yer Bud. You got what you deserve. What a plumb.

I just hope some poor beggar with a genuine issue doesn't lose out on a replacement because of idiots like you.

Overlapped with you by seconds, David.....is there a moderator out there can ban this person from ever posting again.....?

Really Raging Kev

You probably have a totally unrelated fault, to the engine swap....... Have you checked your air filter?.......

You probably have a totally unrelated fault, to the engine swap....... Have you checked your air filter?.......

......and then, for the first time in ages, I decide to actually read what the Green Phlegmie has to say (he is still "on block"....) and what is he trying to do....?

HELP the anus who has just conned a new engine....the case for the defence rests. Must be related or part of some kleeque....personally I think it will be the fuel filter....or the supermarket fuel....or the grade of oil. Can anybody else help this engine knicking poster.....?

Big Kev

......and then, for the first time in ages, I decide to actually read what the Green Phlegmie has to say (he is still "on block"....) and what is he trying to do....?

HELP the !Removed! who has just conned a new engine....the case for the defence rests. Must be related or part of some kleeque....personally I think it will be the fuel filter....or the supermarket fuel....or the grade of oil. Can anybody else help this engine knicking poster.....?

Big Kev

Don't know what he's posting here for, as he's got a "Carolla"?!

Agree though about banning, but so ignorant to the facts, he brags on here of draining oil to con a new engine. Both immoral and illegal I'd have thought.

Dave

He won't be the first and he won't be the last but I think it will hurt more to name and shame rather than remove this informative post.

Don't worry chaps I'm sure Toyota will still have engines left for when yours blow up :lol: :lol2:

They'll have 6 spares from Charlies and mistermenas vehicles... :thumbsup:

Hey, that's really smart thinking.

Do you think if you drain off all your brake fluid as well, they will give you a nice new shiny braking system?

Unfortuately, you'd probably take some innocent 3rd party with you.

(sarcasm).

Have just posted wee note on Corolla section, and make no apology for rantification(s) in either forum. On reflection, I wonder just how many owners and even dealers have entered into unscrupulous dealings during this "replacement" debacle.....but to presume bragging rights on it ....? Nah......

Poster now away reading rear of his car to learn how to spell its name.....

Big Kev

Tell Yer what I think ................. Nah maybe not !

Tools or at least good ones have uses...................................

He should have got a Rav. Easier to spell!

Dave

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links