Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The S In Multidrive

john270_6

Been trying to work out just what the S gear stick position does in my 12 plate iq multidrive .The salesman said, Oh its Sports mode

but realy meant braking mode simular to the B next notch down. If anybody know a better use for the S stick slot please let me know

I think so far the S slot is useless apart from reving the engines nuts off if you let it that is.

Thanks

John :driving:

It saves you Kicking down with the throttle, you can knock it across to S and gain speed and then go back to D without needing to floor it.

I also use S to decelerate without using the brakes or along with the brakes,

it can keep your speed up on back roads and on hills.

More spirited than sport maybe on a 1.0, but a run in 1.3 multidrive can shift if you want to ,

& knocking it between D & S certainly helps IMO.

It is very handy in situations when you are going down hills and want to reduce speed and not touch the brakes.

Nothing like as low as going to B which really does put you to a low gear,

and i hardly ever use other than to come to a quick halt.

I wouldnt be doing any spirited driving untill the car is well run in..

george

Thanks George

thats very interesting ... In S mode its seem to need to rev very high.or able to rev high and I hate rev engines almost to max seems destructive. So far not use S mode much may be twice for about 5 seconds each time, bit nervous to use it.

John

Please do not run it at high revs for anytime untill it has done 1000 miles or so.

The brakes discs take a while to wear off the coating and the pads and tyres to scrub in a little.

by 5000 miles everything is running much smother are the hand brake is a little slacker etc IME.

Did you not roadtest one before buying it?

The thing is you have bought a car with quite a highish reving engine.

It is a VVT-i,

that is Variable Valve Timing (with intelligence) , it performs and gives its torque at higher revs. (in 2 stages really)

It is then mated to a CVT box, which is' Continuously Variable Transmisison' that matches the gears to the revs and the speed.

It is not only 3 gears, it is actually 7 as i understand it.

It is not like an automatic with 7 gears, or even an automated manual.

If you just want to put it in D and drive automatically it will perform just fine and you will probably get its best economy.

The noise and revs will be different from an automatic though since you will not actually feel which gear it has choosen

untill you get used to it.

I think you will get quite used to it.

I actually like how a 1.0 multidrive drives over a 1.3, but thats just me.

I have had a CVT back when they were in Daf's & then Volvo 343's, and like the way they drive.

& have only ever driven some type of Automatics since 1977.

Give it time to grow on you and it will do its job very well i think.

george

If you read the owners manual it states that B is for engine braking and the S position is for maximum engine braking.

I have a manual box so have no experience of the multidrive but the owners handbook is full of interesting little nuggets of information. :)

Craig.

Hello and thanks George for all the information.

Yes it is taking a lot of getting use to, I had a vauxhall easytronic and you could feel it change gears and I also have just sold my Smart for two and you could feel that change gear too.

All I have now is the IQ3 its been on order since october its in Burnt orange.

I must say in the fist week I would have given it back if I could have, not knowing if it had or was going to change gear and just not understanding what was going on was making me not like it . may be my driving stile does not suit it.

Having had a verfy short test drive in a manual 1.0 lit car with a salesman sat in the back was not over good but the wife liked the car more that me at the time. Anyway I'm getting better and begining to get used to it now well just a bit. No option .

John

Hello John, if you go to the toyota uk webpage, click on owners, then my toyota, scroll down till you see vehicle brief guides, click tab and you will see iq, download it and it will tell you what S actually does. Having have had a prius recently you cannot feel the gears change, the more you "put your foot down", the smoother the change if any. :D

Garry

It doesnt tell you very much sadly.

Toyota really are rather poor about explaining the CVT gearbox.

I think there is a translation or use of terms problem in lots of their owners handbooks and function of many items..

Thankfully the CVT does work pretty damn well.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/bwaftersales/downloads/brief/IQ.pdf

george

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links