Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Rav 4.1 Questions

johnny c

half thinking about buying a little 3 door rav4 (94-00 shape)

just wondering,what are the like on fuel?

any problems to look out for?

thanks.

About 28 mpg on ours.

Ensure cam belt is changed every ~70k miles - ensure water pump changed at same time (from experience)

Others may have more comments, but check for rust on brake pipes, rust on suspension mounts.

I cant take any credit for the following advice all credit must go to Bothwell_buyer (I havent heard from Bothy lately - is he ok?) if it is wrong then it is down to me.

"On these cars, feel the front passenger and drivers footwell for dampness indicating water getting through the screen at the front. On a roadtest, feel for soft shock absorbers (car bouncing) and also for any knocks/rumbles showing wear on the suspension bushes. A quick take off and then a knock will highlight a worn rear diff mount.

Look for any blue smoke from the exhaust when accelarating...

Oil leaks up front and underneath the engine.

How does the clutch feel? Worn?

Does the air-conditioning work?

Underneath the car have a look at the condition of the brake dust covers on the front if you can; the trailing suspension arms; and the petrol tank. Things like the petrol filler pipe and breather pipe often corrode but they are behind the plastic shroud in the rear wheel well."

Gus

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links