Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting A New Audio/sat Nav

Fizzbang

Hi,

I have a 2008 diesel rav and am thinking about the options i have in maybe replacing the bog standard audio/6 disk changer to something a little more modern with maybe a satnav....now, i do plan on letting toyota do it and would like to know what options they offer and if any ofyou would recommend a better option, idea or any guidance in it.

Have you gotten a quote from Toyota? I'm sure it'll knock you on your ***** at about £3-3.5k. That's ludicrous money now satnav is just £100-250 in the shops.I assume you are not very DIY

freindly or you'd perhaps be doing this yourself, my only suggestion would be to consider the new Android based devices; something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-2DIN-RAV4-2008-10-car-stereo-sat-nav-Ca-Fi-7inch-navi-Ca-Fi-700800-NEW-/280860585999

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Din-Car-DVD-GPS-ANDROID-Player-TOYOTA-Rav4-RAV-4-2007-/260996655018

Note these both appear to be the same unit and will have the same interface. The cheaper one just has a terrible advert.

Points to consider:

1) When you buy cheap Chinese gear, don't be surprised when you open the box and find cheap Chinese gear inside

2) The plastics on these things is actually pretty damn good these days

3) The hardware inside maybe less so, audio whine, failing LCD backlights, odd iPod control are all possible and were present on the units made a few years ago.

4) Warranty, most don't have one although they can be purchased from the vendor.

5) You will need to load apps onto your unit, either via Google Market or via a sideload (copy file to SD via USB then run) and you will likely need to install satnav apps and maps.

A lot of people are very happy with these units, others struggle a bit with the modifications, others are disappointed because they didn't read around the pros and cons for the unit they are considering before ordering.

I'm going to be doing the same, Not sure if I am going to fit it myself or take it to a local audio dealer for fitting (around 100 quid). The one I am looking at is the Sony XNV-L66BT coz it has TomTom with live services and bluetooth, You will need a Double Din Fascia Kit and a ISO Harness Steering wheel cable kit So while it may be expensive at just under 800 quid its a lot less than the offering from Mr T.

Plus consider what the cost of updating your Maps are with the Mr T offering, with TomTom its an annual cost of around 50 quid (less with discounts). Or if you don't want to keep it up to date like that a new map is only around 30-80 quid, depending on the size of the map region you want.

I would NOT go to Toyota to do this kind of work!!

If you don't to do it yourself, which is fair enough, go to a local car audio place and get a price for supply and fit. Also get a Car Audio magazine or something like Max Power or the like and you will see pages of adverts and reviews for this kind of kit and shops that supply and fit.

You would expect to pay well less then half a Toyota Dealer would charge for an Audio install - and you might even find that the dealer would sub out the work to a local guy but charge you their regular £80/Hr rate anyway.

Also, make sure you keep the original head unit and all wiring is left intact (so NO wires chopped and soldered with the new install) so it can be out back in easily when it comes to changing your car in the future.

Personally, I would be expecting to pay maybe ballpark £1,000 all up for a fully featured replacement head unit with Sat Nav, linking into your steering wheel controls, replacement surround facia and everything fully and professionally installed.

It could also be worthwhile if you are going down that route to look into replacement Speakers - no point in spending all that cash on the business end and then skimping on the ears!

HTH.

Maxpower boy then Dave!!!!!!! I bet you get Fast Car as well- The mind Boogles

Regards Clare

Maxpower boy then Dave!!!!!!! I bet you get Fast Car as well- The mind Boogles

Regards Clare

I used to buy Max Power occasionally when looking for audio gear (used to be a Alpine freak :D ) but bit old for that kind of thing nowadays (most of the "Readers Rides" should be confined to magazines only available in Essex!!).

Fast Car - like a poor mans MaxPower, if that is possible :)

I'm going to be doing the same, Not sure if I am going to fit it myself or take it to a local audio dealer for fitting (around 100 quid). The one I am looking at is the Sony XNV-L66BT coz it has TomTom with live services and Bluetooth, You will need a Double Din Fascia Kit and a ISO Harness Steering wheel cable kit So while it may be expensive at just under 800 quid its a lot less than the offering from Mr T.

Plus consider what the cost of updating your Maps are with the Mr T offering, with TomTom its an annual cost of around 50 quid (less with discounts). Or if you don't want to keep it up to date like that a new map is only around 30-80 quid, depending on the size of the map region you want.

I've gone exactly the same route as Tony is intending taking - very happy with the result. Plus points: Much better compatibility with recent phones, ( as Tony says ) cheaper map updates, google search facility on SatNav, V. Good iPod connectivity and far more intutive interface generally. Minus points: Won't work with the phone buttons on the steering wheel ( audio ones OK though ), but this is no problem for me.

Just a thought: If you have no "protection pack" fitted, i.e. no reversing sensors, you could have a reversing camera fitted at the same time.

Hmmmmm! - I'm a genius at spending other peoples cash - ask Hoovie.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links