Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Please, Engine Logo Warning Light Is On!

flyboyprowler

We have just driven 8 hours from Spain to Portugal, and after 6 hours the engine warning light on our 2003 VVTi auto came on. This has happened before, but this time I had a diagnostic check done locally, and the Cat seems to be the problem. The mechanic said the door is either open or closed, but not in the right position, and that the car is all right to drive.

Can anyone explain the workings for me, and indeed the consequences or affects when we drive back to Spain next Friday, and will this be an expensive repair! The light is now out now, so all is temporarily well.

Help and advice much appreciated

Ainsley

We have just driven 8 hours from Spain to Portugal, and after 6 hours the engine warning light on our 2003 VVTi auto came on. This has happened before, but this time I had a diagnostic check done locally, and the Cat seems to be the problem. The mechanic said the door is either open or closed, but not in the right position, and that the car is all right to drive.

Can anyone explain the workings for me, and indeed the consequences or affects when we drive back to Spain next Friday, and will this be an expensive repair! The light is now out now, so all is temporarily well.

Ainsley

i do not see a link between an engine symbol and door geometric position.

check with all spots that might be inspected by you: filters; MAF sensor; liquids; el contacts/sparks etc

regards/Igor

Maybe he means lambda sensors, they go up and down or open/close if you wish.

You should get a sine waveform on a scope, :unsure:

Ainsley

i do not see a link between an engine symbol and door geometric position.

check with all spots that might be inspected by you: filters; MAF sensor; liquids; el contacts/sparks etc

regards/Igor

I wonder if he means a valve of some sort

is stuck open or closed? If it is CAT related could it be VSV?

Check my guide on the O2 sensors, first link in my signature.

A CAT flap maybe :lol:

No turbo on petrol engine so no vsv :yes:

Is the VSV not part of the emission control system?

try to clean both in/out cat sensors -- may be they give a wrong signal ?

by the way -- have you experiencing an oil drinking issue that affects the cat ?

regards / Igor

A CAT flap maybe :lol:

No turbo on petrol engine so no vsv :yes:

Is the VSV not part of the emission control system?

Not sure on petrols, but EGR is electronic on the diesel, and the VSV actuates the variable veins on't turbo.....unless I've got it wrong?

It's gonna be O2 sensors. Depending on how long the fault was ignored for, they may also have damaged the cats. It's a petrol 2.0, nothing else goes wrong with them.

i drove my 2003 nrg for over 12 months and around 12k with the engine light on , it went through an mot with it on , it went france and back with it on. had to have all 4 sensors replaced in january this year. the original diagnostic was a sensor out . i only had them done cuz it couldn't do the emissions for the mot this year.

mine was on around 105-100k went it started coming on if i remember, so i would probably risk it as on balance it more than likely just a sensor.

If it is linked to codes P0420 or P0430 it is fine to drive it back. I presume from the term "door" he means a translation of EGR. If that is the case and it runs OK then also OK to drive back.

Jedi - Correct, VSV is for the turbo control on a diesel.

Thank you so much for the help and information. Regarding the oil, there is no change to consumption, the car uses no oil between services. Regarding the O2 sensors, are these a DIY job, as I have limited facilities in Spain, or should cleaning them suffice. I have a mechanic, that should be able to help, if I can't do the job myself. On the two occasions that the light has been on, the car was driven for around 2 hours, and the mileage is now 115000 kms. I also have a fault code which I will post when I can get to it. Any ideas on costs of parts, or repairs, as a guide would be useful, when I get a quote in Spain. Once again, many thanks, Ainsley

Thank you so much for the help and information. Regarding the oil, there is no change to consumption, the car uses no oil between services. Regarding the O2 sensors, are these a DIY job, as I have limited facilities in Spain, or should cleaning them suffice. I have a mechanic, that should be able to help, if I can't do the job myself. On the two occasions that the light has been on, the car was driven for around 2 hours, and the mileage is now 115000 kms. I also have a fault code which I will post when I can get to it. Any ideas on costs of parts, or repairs, as a guide would be useful, when I get a quote in Spain. Once again, many thanks, Ainsley

Just checked and the fault code is P0430, so assume all ok to drive the car back on Friday!

Yep I DIY'd mine. Should need a proper O2 socket from eBay (£7) and a load of Plusgas (not WD40) £3 from Amazon or a local motorfactor etc. The genuine DENSO parts come with some copper slip grease. Don't be tempted to buy cheap ones, it's a false economy.

You can test them with your multimeter before splashing any cash.

The most awkward one is B1S2, there's not much space to swing your ratchet, but it's not impossible.

Yep I DIY'd mine. Should need a proper O2 socket from eBay (£7) and a load of Plusgas (not WD40) £3 from Amazon or a local motorfactor etc. The genuine DENSO parts come with some copper slip grease. Don't be tempted to buy cheap ones, it's a false economy. You can test them with your multimeter before splashing any cash. The most awkward one is B1S2, there's not much space to swing your ratchet, but it's not impossible.

Many thanks Bob, and the help is much appreciated. I will get my garage to have a look in Spain, and source the parts in UK when we are back next week.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links