Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need Some Info On A 2000 Tercel

Gfs_tercel

Hi all, just signed up have a couple of questions for anyone who can spare a few minutes.

This is actually my GFs car but I have been asked for some help and I'm not quite sure where to begin. I have to admin first off that I own a ford and while its not a better car by any stretch I can find my way around the engine in the ford a lot easier that the toyota :rolleyes:

Her car is sputtering a bit at highway speeds under load so I figured the easiest thing to do is change the plugs (Its a 2000 and she's never had them done). Now I looked at the cables etc and I'm a little hesitant about changing them just because I have never dealt with them before. On the top of the engine there are 2 modules on top of the first two cylinders which are then "daisy chained" to the other two cylinders. There is no distributer cap so I would assume that I have to remove the two modules from above the first 2 cylinders to get those plugs out. Is there anything special I have to know about these modules? I have changed plugs on other cars before and I do generally know what I'm doing but mostly on older V8s etc. I know the gap is .044 according to the plug books but apparently there is no Haynes manual for this car yet so I don't even have that to fall back on.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds similar to the "Wasted Spark" system used on the UK spec. Supra's.

You normally have to unbolt them to remove the leads to remove the plugs.

Dont know about the plug gap settings as the Tercel is no longer sold in the UK but if the plugs have Blue bands around the Insulator - they are Platinum tipped - should be changed every 60,000 miles,and are pre-set from the factory and trying to adjust them will damage the Platinum coatingon the tip.

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links