Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pressure Washer

webleymk3

Folks. Time to purchase a good quality pressure washer as I just busticated the faether's!!!

So what you got and what do you recommend? I'm probably gonna have tae look second hand as I can't afford £350 for a shiny new one.

Been looking at the Karcher K5 series. Any thoughts??

Cheers.

Folks. Time to purchase a good quality pressure washer as I just busticated the faether's!!!

So what you got and what do you recommend? I'm probably gonna have tae look second hand as I can't afford £350 for a shiny new one.

Been looking at the Karcher K5 series. Any thoughts??

Cheers.

Recently bought a Karcher (not sure which model at the moment as I'm not at home) from B&Q on offer at £99. Lots of bits with it including 25M of nice quality garden hose (need a hose like I need a hole in the head, mind). Needed to buy one as the Champion one that I'd had for about 7 years or so gave up the ghost when I was about to do the paving stones around the house.

I bought Karcher because of their reputation, B&Q had best price & we got an extra 5% discount by buying it with our Utility Warehouse cash card.

I'm after something a bit more powerful than the standard ones you get in the likes of B&Q. The Karcher K5 700 kicks out at 140bar.

Is it not the case that a too powerful one can actually strip paint off the bodywork?

Speak to Kev.

He has a contact.

TBH if you are buying Karcher you are best with an "HD" model. They have entirely metal pumps whereas the domestics have a plastic pump with a design life of 80 hours.

If you hunt you might find a Kranzle second hand but they are rare.

What is the problem with the washer,Dave?

Is the thing running ?

Is it not delivering the pressure any more.

If it is an expensive one parts should be available.

A common fault I used to find on hire washers losing pressure was simply a foreign body was stuck in and holding open the valve/s in the pump.

There are usually a number of hexicon headed caps on the pump and the valves are under these.

If you feel comfident with this, carefully, one at a time, remove this cap and you will find the spring loaded valve underneath.

They will not "fly out" under pressure but can fall out,but they are not all fitted inside the same,so take note of how they go back together and you should be fine.

Hope this works for you

Del

Speak to Kev.

He has a contact.

TBH if you are buying Karcher you are best with an "HD" model. They have entirely metal pumps whereas the domestics have a plastic pump with a design life of 80 hours.

If you hunt you might find a Kranzle second hand but they are rare.

......or if you can only stretch to a "domestic" rather than HD (commercial), make sure it's the water cooled type, as the air cooled ones are both noisier and their built in obsolescence is not very long. Better to buy new and you know its provenence.

Big Kev

Been looking at this one:

http://tinyurl.com/cfsyc9p

Del. the pump in the old one runs continuously even with the water off however there is no pressure when you pull the trigger.

Could be some crap in the system. I'll take a look.

Been looking at this one:

http://tinyurl.com/cfsyc9p

Del. the pump in the old one runs continuously even with the water off however there is no pressure when you pull the trigger.

Could be some crap in the system. I'll take a look.

k.5 800 guarranteed for 10 yrs

I've a friend/ex neighbour who owns this franchise -

http://karcher-center-lpc.co.uk/

if you wan't to deal with them, PM me and I'll give you his name. He may be able to do something for you. Who knows.

Is it not the case that a too powerful one can actually strip paint off the bodywork?

Never managed to do that yet, matey, and don't doubt for a minute it could be done using one of these "dirtblaster" swirly lances UP TOO CLOSE IN USE....so I worked out how to avoid it....don't do that. Bubbled or flaky paint would be easily damaged. I have always steered well clear of HOT wash machines too.

Have contacted Webz by phone....HD5/11C (240 volt) now available at £307.49 delivered free in UK....FILL YER BOOTS.

Big Kev

When many people go to buy a pressure washer they tend to judge its performance on pressure.

Ask any professional and most will say go for the maximum flow rate rather than pressure. The rate at which the volume of water delivered is more important than pressure alone.

And if you can afford it one with adjustable pressure.

Is the thing running ?

A common fault I used to find on hire washers losing pressure was simply a foreign body was stuck in and holding open the valve/s in the pump.

There are usually a number of hexicon headed caps on the pump and the valves are under these.

If you feel comfident with this, carefully, one at a time, remove this cap and you will find the spring loaded valve underneath.

They will not "fly out" under pressure but can fall out,but they are not all fitted inside the same,so take note of how they go back together and you should be fine.

Hope this works for you

Del

I took my karacher apart once because it keeps pulsing on and off. Comes on and off all the time but when using it its ok, just don't shut off......

Mine is quite old now and has the metal pumping gubings......its like a car engine inside, as its got 3 pistons from what I remember, that make the pressure, these go up and down, and the magic begins......still not fixed it, I think there's a pressure type switch that has worn out, or its leaking somewhere, will have to look at it again...... Great to work on like a car. :lol:

When many people go to buy a pressure washer they tend to judge its performance on pressure.

Ask any professional and most will say go for the maximum flow rate rather than pressure. The rate at which the volume of water delivered is more important than pressure alone.

Just been discussing that very subject with Webblers today, James (lph....litres per hour).....just like that old chestnut of bhp versus torque. Never seen a variable pressure one before though....?

Big kev

Just been discussing that very subject with Webblers today, James (lph....litres per hour).....just like that old chestnut of bhp versus torque. Never seen a variable pressure one before though....?

Big kev

The variable pressure models ain't cheap and tend to be used in agriculture. Last time I seen one in use was a motocross meeting - cleaning down the bikes.

Big kev

The variable pressure models ain't cheap and tend to be used in agriculture. Last time I seen one in use was a motocross meeting - cleaning down the bikes.

I know the machines you refer to now, James....webz is from our catapult city, Embra....his budget will not stretch to the four figure sums that these attract.....in fact I have taken to locking ma garage.....

Big Kev

Flow rate is far more important than how high the pressure will go..

Nilfisk are brilliant machines and pound for pound will outperform Karchers ..

If a Karcher is pulsating its not getting enough water pressure from the hose..

I have a Kranzle K1150 T. It has a very high flow rate and though it has massive pressure available as it is adjustable and has a glycerine damped pressure gauge I never have it turned up to max when using on a car. Only have it on full if using the dirt buster lance on the patio...

If You can either justify the outlay go for a Kranzle.. They are absolutely brilliant and will last several times the life of a Karcher..

IMHO Karchers are not very good machines and Nilfisk are a mile better !

I may be selling My MINT K1150T soon as I want to go Hot water.. It will be up for £450 which is expensive for a used machine but once You have used a Kranzle everything else seems .. Well second rate !

Never managed to do that yet, matey, and don't doubt for a minute it could be done using one of these "dirtblaster" swirly lances UP TOO CLOSE IN USE....so I worked out how to avoid it....don't do that. Bubbled or flaky paint would be easily damaged. I have always steered well clear of HOT wash machines too.

Have contacted Webz by phone....HD5/11C (240 volt) now available at £307.49 delivered free in UK....FILL YER BOOTS.

Big Kev

Lets face it, a pressure washer can take the finish off screeded/floated concrete if the jet is played close to and long enough on it!!

Del

All a bit academic at the moment here in the drought ridden, and yet rain sodden, south :huh:

Is the thing running ?

Hope this works for you

Del

I took my karacher apart once because it keeps pulsing on and off. Comes on and off all the time but when using it its ok, just don't shut off......

Mine is quite old now and has the metal pumping gubings......its like a car engine inside, as its got 3 pistons from what I remember, that make the pressure, these go up and down, and the magic begins......still not fixed it, I think there's a pressure type switch that has worn out, or its leaking somewhere, will have to look at it again...... Great to work on like a car. :lol:

Jed,not all PWs shut down completely when the trigger is released,the motor still runs and the hose and lance give a little kick back spasmodically

Maybe yours is one like it

Ah, yes,

All a bit academic at the moment here in the drought ridden, and yet rain sodden, south :huh:

Ah, yes, soon to be wetest drought on record. :rolleyes:

Ah, yes,

Ah, yes, soon to be wetest drought on record. :rolleyes:

Yup, 83 year old Mum can't remember a wetter drought...........

Is the thing running ?

Hope this works for you

Del

Jed,not all PWs shut down completely when the trigger is released,the motor still runs and the hose and lance give a little kick back spasmodically

It used to, It's a type of switch on the pump presure side that pops up and breaks the connection to the motor, from what I can remember.

But Charlie could be right, maybe I didn't turn the outside tap on fully.......:unsure:

I will have to dig it out of the garage......its burried in there somwhere.

Is the thing running ?

Hope this works for you

Del

It used to, It's a type of switch on the pump presure side that pops up and breaks the connection to the motor, from what I can remember.

But Charlie could be right, maybe I didn't turn the outside tap on fully....... :unsure:

I will have to dig it out of the garage......its burried in there somwhere.

Check the inlet filter as it takes very little to slow the water down enough to start that pulsing noise and either restricted or totally stopped water at the lance....

I agree with Charlie! Nilfisk is a very good bit of kit. I bought a c110 (With all the patio bits) for £49 from Amazon...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links