Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whistling Wing Mirror

spoonflames

Hi all,

I've read a couple of posts about the 'whistling wing mirror' on the Auris (affects Yaris too it seems).

My driver side wing mirror whistles like crazy when i'm doing over about 50 mph, it stops if i pull the wing mirror in, or if i place my hand on the top of the mirror casing

I heard the fix is to use some foam in any gaps apparent when the mirror is folded in.

Has anyone actually done this and could give me any tips on what type of foam to use, i.e is it expanding foam, is there any risk of heating it up from the heated filament the glass is connected to, and so on

Any help or advice greatly appreciated

p.s my car is not under toyota warranty so i can't return to them for this

:ermm:

On the earlier Yaris, Toyota issued a service bulletin to introduce a foam packer in the hinge point of the mirror

This was a cheap but very effective method of taking away the whistle

You could try your dealer to see if a kit was made for your Auris or use some high density foam

The alternative is to join in with your own tuneful whistle! ;)

You have very sensitive hearing or your paying too much attention if you realy want a quite car should have gone for a refined make Lexus, Merc, BMW etc because Toyotas are not so refined in sound department. Expect the odd knock and rattle due to stupid speed bumps and potholes ruin your car. Turn up your music ;)

You have very sensitive hearing or your paying too much attention if you realy want a quite car should have gone for a refined make Lexus, Merc, BMW etc because Toyotas are not so refined in sound department. Expect the odd knock and rattle due to stupid speed bumps and potholes ruin your car. Turn up your music ;)

Post like this really do nothing to help the original poster with his problem.

Even "refined makes" suffer from annoying little problems

The purpose of the original question was to find out if any "practical" solutions were available

Can you help with a solution?

you could try adjusting the mirror a little bit at a time whilst on the move to see if the sound reduces at different angles.then maybe you can find a compromise position between noise and a good rear view.

someone else driving your car and setting the mirror to suit themself mind not get that sound.

Does not matter what make or model a car is this kind of fault should have been sorted in development.

Thanks to Red Yaris 54 - i am going to contact my local Toyota and see if they can give me some further guidance.

Thanks to acetip - i fully agree this should have been sorted in development

Failing help from Toyota, i will get the smallest tin of expanding foam with a thin applicator and start with the obvious areas first

Although, i don't see many obvious areas as the wingmirror is pretty sealed as it is, and i worry if i mess around with anything on the hinge i may 'expand' over the mechanism allowing the mirror to fold :fireman2:

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem on my 2009 1.6 TR. The back of the mirror was not secured properly, although it looked tight. The solution was to press with some force on the back and it clicked into place. Whistle stopped immediately and no further problem for over two months. Hope this simple solution helps.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links