Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Spent A Week Driving The New Kuga!

Molnboman

Lets face it car forums are normally used to vent about how ******* your current shed is. Luckily among the horror threads theres useful tips for those that dont have lemons. Go with your gut Charlie and best of luck.

FORD....F*ckin owful and rubbish to drive.....if I remember correctly....Don't think you can point that at them now....Mondeo continues to be voted the best rep saloon out there for the money and the Kuga is highly rated too...I would wager that the engine in the Kuga is much more reliable that the current one in the Rav diesels....the duratorq diesel ( the previous one to the latest model ) was the only oil burner I never had any isses with...and the gearbox is a sweet as a nut.....downsides....yes, well build and fittings on the Kuga are probabaly not as good as Toyotas, however, if you look at the whole package versus the current Rav diesel......I know which one I would go for!....Is there any manufacturer producing a bullet proof, 100% reliable, well built, great mpg 4x4 these days?!!!

A

Is there any manufacturer producing a bullet proof, 100% reliable, well built, great mpg 4x4 these days?!!!

Simply put there is no such vehicle made in any sector, human beings buy a car then try to make it do something it was never designed for then complaining that the makers are rubbish.

BMW, VAG, Ford and the PSA group have aimed their 4X4 vehicles at customers who want on road performance and economy as the primary concern and off road capability limited to little more than the odd muddy car park. For road performance and economy BMW are probably the leaders in whichever size suits, they do 3. Could be why the Audi Q line up is increasing. The RAV has always been a dual purpose vehicle where on road performance and economy suffer in order to maintain adequate off road capability. My guess is the next RAV will be primarily a road car with off road looks and much reduced off road capability in order to compete directly in this sector, leaving the LC and Hi Lux as the off road choices.

If choosing an automatic almost all newer models are dsg style semi automatic boxes which utilise a conventional plate clutch, albeit electrically operated, modern diesels with their massive torque output all have a dual mass flywheel to minimise shock damage to the drive train, with the well documented risk of dmf failure in all makes, do these vehicles provide sufficient savings on fuel to offset this potential cost? Conventional automatics with fluid drive torque converters need no additional shock damping and as our American friends have proved over many years generally have a long life expectancy. If one buys new and trades in every 2 years / 40K miles dmf failure would never become a problem (generally failure seems to occur around the 40K - 60K mark) , as a longer term investment the thirstier traditional auto may prove the least expensive in lifetime costs. As a finale the only car I ever encountered that met all criteria for being rubbish was a 1960's Wartburg, now that should never have been allowed on the public roads.

Whatever you choose will get a knocking Charlie, that's the way of Forums. If you were looking at one of Audis Q ranges, I'd be vocal to the point of shouting "Don't do it!" Whatever you choose, best of luck with it.

I had you down for getting a Discovery.

Charlie,

Please don't think me putting a downer on the Kuga was personal. But under your own rules we shouldn't all just say "great choice Charlie, go for it" out of support if we don't believe it.

I personally think the Rav is a far superior car to the Kuga, but understand your reluctance to stick with it and the limitations of the spec on the new Rav. I also believe (generally) Toyota to be a fairer manufacturer to deal with. But that could be down to individual dealers.

I think you'll forever be taking your Kuga back to the garage to get "niggles" fixed, which IS better than keep going back for new engines though!!

Dave

(ps- GOT a Discovery and they are as bad as everybody thinks)

The Kuga is built on the Mondeo platform and uses a derivative of the same engine..... So its tried and tested stuff.....

The Kuga is built on the old C1 platform which underpins the mk2 Focus and mk1 C-Max. That's why the Kuga is so small inside and has the former C-Max interior!

Personally I'd wait for the new Kuga to arrive, but you'll obviously get a better deal on the current shape.

Someone on the Disco forums recently had their engine fail on their Discovery 3. It died after 471,000 miles. He still kept the Disco and replaced the engine.

HonestJohn recently did a MOT failure survey - gives an aspect of reliability I suppose:

http://good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk/mot-results/

I think the styling of Ford's of late are pretty awesome. The Fiesta, Ka, Focus and Kuga all look great in my opinion. Not so keen on the upcoming new Kuga - looks too flabby but the current one looks great. I'd also take a good look at the VW Tiguan and the current Freelander too if I were in Charlie's position. Great cars. Just cos we drive Ravs (mine is a very old one but it's still a Rav!) doesn't mean we can't like other cars does it?

PS - That said, check out Chrysler's current line up - UGLY, UGLY, UGLY cars!!

Whatever you choose will get a knocking Charlie, that's the way of Forums. If you were looking at one of Audis Q ranges, I'd be vocal to the point of shouting "Don't do it!" Whatever you choose, best of luck with it.

I would if it were not for the mileage I do... At the moment I have to pay for My own fuel and have been known to spend 700 quid in one month !!

But things are changing and I am about to buy a business of a close friend who sadly is terminally ill

The legal and paperwork on that will be completed by the end of the week so if that happens I will buy either a top end Discovery or a Q7....

Being able to offset the running costs and writing some off the cost off in tax and VAT reclamation has obvious distinct advantages .............................

Nothing is signed and sealed on a Kuga yet. I pick one up for a week on Wednesday morning,,, We shal see..

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Could you get both a Q7 and a Disco and do a long-term test ;-)

I will buy either a top end Discovery or a Q7....

I'm sure you know this, but if you go into Jaguar Land Rover and make the right noises, they will let you have a Disco for a test. But some will even give you a free ticket to take to one of their off-road centres to play about with the 4x4 settings :)

Beware though - there are loads of optional extras and mods Charlie, and you know what you're like! They just did a large discounted "group buy" on the Disco forum and I'm awaiting delivery of my centre console fridge :D

Superb avitar Dominic.

I'm confused about what you are buying Charlie but whatever it is I wish you all the best.

Superb avitar Dominic.

I'm confused about what you are buying Charlie but whatever it is I wish you all the best.

Taken on Anglesey last month. Got some further cracking pics on my latest trip. 3600miles around France, Switzerland and Italy.

I've owned a Q7 .. I had the 4.2 V8 twin turbo Diesel... Absolutely Awesome !!!

The 3.0 Diesel is plenty though....

Superb avitar Dominic.

To be honest Don with things changing at the rate they are I'm confused Myself...

Several factors are at play here....

We are now close to selling the house.... This will mean those long runs up and down will come to an end..

I am also seriously looking at taking on a another business as I just cant sit still..

Both of these factors mean I will be able to choose pretty much anything I want as the car will not have the miles to cover and I will as before be able to offset the purchase price and running costs against tax, ECT...

Since I took early retirement I have tried hard to curtail My spending habits of old... This will no longer be the case......

The above is also why I have been sitting on the fence and have been indecisive of late,,

I have now found a good home for the Rav.........

Superb avitar Dominic.

To be honest Don with things changing at the rate they are I'm confused Myself...

We are now close to selling the house.... This will mean those long runs up and down will come to an end..

I am also seriously looking at taking on a another business as I just cant sit still..

Both of these factors mean I will be able to choose pretty much anything I want as the car will not have the miles to cover and I will as before be able to offset the purchase price and running costs against tax, ECT...

Since I took early retirement I have tried hard to curtail My spending habits of old... This will no longer be the case......

The above is also why I have been sitting on the fence and have been indecisive of late,,

4.2 V8 Diesel. Cooorrrrrrrrr, thats an engine.

Superb avitar Dominic.

Have you considered the LC? Must be comparable to a high end Disco and I've never met an ex-owner who didn't regret getting rid. I only have a Disco cos I can't afford an LC!

Hopefully I'll rectify that when the Disco finally gives up.

Dave

Superb avitar Dominic.

Have you considered the LC? Must be comparable to a high end Disco and I've never met an ex-owner who didn't regret getting rid. I only have a Disco cos I can't afford an LC!

Hopefully I'll rectify that when the Disco finally gives up.

Dave

I would never buy a Lancruiser.. For Me they are to agricultural... The look of them leaves Me cold to be honest.. I know those that have them love them but not a vehicle on or anywhere near the horizon...

I hate the look of That Porche ...... I would rather have a Kuga than one of those !!

If we're going into Q7 territory I'd say you should seriously look at the BMW X5. Friends and family have them and they are awesome. I'd have one if I could afford it.

If we're going into Q7 territory I'd say you should seriously look at the BMW X5. Friends and family have them and they are awesome. I'd have one if I could afford it.

Q7 is in a different league in My humble....... X5 is very good but never really gelled with BMWs and I've had a few.

Fix Or Repair Daily, ****** Original Rubbish Design, or reversed Driver Returns On Foot. Just a few I heard in the service area.

Found On Road Dead.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links