Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Day Time Running Lights

kencat

Daytime Running Lights have been mandatory in Canada since 1990. General Motors added DRL's to their entire line in the US starting in 1995. I'm sure they expected the other carmakers to quickly follow suit, but not all of them did. Today, DRL's are permitted in the US, but not mandatory. Most of the RAV4's in my area (including mine) have had DRL's fitted as a $40 optional extra on the factory sticker.

The typical DRL implementation is to wire the high beams in series so that each bulb only gets 6 volts, thus running at reduced brightness. When the headlights are switched on, a couple of relays change the circuit to power each high beam with 12 volts in parallel. In this type of circuit, when you have a burned out high beam lamp, you will get no DRL's because the series circuit is broken by the burned out filament (much like the old Christmas tree lights). But when you turn on the headlights and activate the high beams, the good lamp will burn normally.

I owned three volvos many years ago and used to get flashed all the time because my headlights were on! But they know about safety and decided that having the dipped beam on, making the car more visible, can and does avoid accidents. I do some work at an oil refinery which is the size of a small town and they decided years ago ALL vehicles have to run with dipped beam headlights at all times. (You're also only allowed to reverse park which has also been proven to avoid accidents!)

In Iceland and many other countries, it is illegal to drive without headlights on at anytime.

As a result of all the above, I find myself switching my headlights on much more than the average motorist!

Dave

So in some countries they're required by law?
What point of my post did you misinterperate, Leon ? I only ask as I thought I made it plain it was the law. Del

'Laws passed by our great and glorious European masters' is not plain by any stretch of the imagination... although it's much more interesting to read than, say 'it's the law' ;). Knowing it's the law makes fitting them more... acceptable (controversial!).

So in some countries they're required by law?
What point of my post did you misinterperate, Leon ? I only ask as I thought I made it plain it was the law. Del

'Laws passed by our great and glorious European masters' is not plain by any stretch of the imagination... although it's much more interesting to read than, say 'it's the law' ;). Knowing it's the law makes fitting them more... acceptable (controversial!).

Guess I was more concerned with a short posting than any misunderstanding it may prompt.

I know what i said but I am not sure what you heard was what I meant to say because of how I said it.

(with apologies for mis-quoting Robert McCloskey)

Del

I know what i said but I am not sure what you heard was what I meant to say because of how I said it.

:huh: (hehe)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links