Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

02 Cluster In A 98

AustinH17

I have a 98' Corolla VE. I found a stock 2002 Corolla S Instrument Cluster with a Tachometer on it.

I was wondering if I could install the stock 02 cluster in my car, and the tach along with everything else would function properly. I bring up the tachometer because as most people know who have a 98, the stock cluster doesn't come with one. It would really help me out if I had to tach, because my car is clutch.

MSG me please or reply. Thanks!

I think you might find it a struggle to make it fit and then work correctly, but thats just my gut feeling rather than having any first hand experience.

I'm curious as to how having a tach/rev counter would help you?

I figured it would be. I'd just like one so I know when to shift properly, instead of shifting by the sound of the engine.

I see. I only ask as I've always gone by ear really, both on road and track.

There were a raft of differences in our Corollas (England) between 98 and 02, so I wouldn't have thought that they would marry up and work properly. But like I say, I may be wrong as I've never seen it done myself.

They do look very similar as you say. Ours are a lot more different covering that year range, hence my thoughts really.

'Should' work ok, I'd want to have a good look at the rear plugs and sockets, making sure they tally up and that there are no hidden surprises in that area.

Pre facelift dials fit the facelift cars and work, the irish boys do this as they cant get hold of SR dails so fit g6/r insted

So yes they will fit, and iirc from the irish site the rev counter should work too, you may have to plug a sensor in to get it tho as you didnt have it before

Most of the wiring loom is exactly the same, its only the ecu/engine/front headlight harness that slightly changed.

Wow, thanks man! this really helped. :) I appreciate it.

Wow, thanks man! this really helped. :) I appreciate it.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1.3 1998 corolla and have just fitted a g6r dash in. I managed to take it apart and swap the speedo so that it was calibrated correctly and the mileage was correct. It works, except the engine warning light (which keeps popping on briefly) is now wired into the abs light and vice versa. I also seemed to have gained a beep when I reverse lol.

Unfortunately though the tacho doesn't seem to work. I haven't had time to investigate properly but I don't know if it will work. I could just be a loose connection. Though Steven mentioned possibly having to attach an extra sensor?

No idea why the ecu light wasnt working - unless you had a problem before you changed clocks?

The beeping for reverse is because the SR/G6/R all have 6 speed gearboxs where reverse is one over from first with no stopping gate (like a push down pull up to select reverse) so its there to let you know youve selected reverse insted of 1st.

I asume by tacho you mean the rev counter. Yes, you need to fit a sensor to get it to work if you didnt have it before.

The ECU light is coming on occasionally, but I think the wiring is slightly different, so the ABS is the ECU and the ECU is the ABS.

I do mean the rev counter yes : ) Is there a toyota sensor I could fit? Or does it have to be an aftermarket? Could I tap into the diagnostics plug, Ive read that one of the pin outs has the tacho signal, but I guess if there is no sensor then no?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links